It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Absolute Power of Christianity!

page: 111
<< 108  109  110    112  113  114 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
So a 450 foot wooden boat, yet what you read is 'scientific lab full of dna'. Is that called reading inbetween the lines?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and throw out guesses such as 'maybe they took samples DNA on a alien spaceship'. It doesn't really get us anywhere, especially when Genesis states this was a 450 foot long ship, that at the time the materials used would have been wood.

[edit on 15-12-2006 by shaunybaby]

Better than taking the Bible for face value.
I would suggest to study Judaism, from whence Christianity came.
If you read my post clearly, you would have saw that in Judaism there are 4 levels of understanding of the creation story. The first being understood to obviously not to have happened.

So depending on where you come from, the info may strike you in a strange way.
But the fact that ancient civilizations were more advanced then us, would that suprise you in any way? Only if you were a modern day Christian who lost track of the roots from where the stories came from...and I did not think that was you by your earlier post.

Enjoy, after all, if you cant speculate or consider other possibilities, why pose a question.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen

I used to think the same way. After studying and application though, it seems the Bible is more literal than I had originally thought. It's difficult to accept anything, even the smallest miracle because it defies our understanding. Funny when the idea of aliens defy our understanding we want to hug them, but when God defies our understanding He's a Big meanie who is not playing the the rules (which He made for us in the first place, not for Him).

I would suggest to study Judaism, from whence Christianity came.

Agreed.

If you read my post clearly, you would have saw that in Judaism there are 4 levels of understanding of the creation story. The first being understood to obviously not to have happened.

...and if you join the Masons today, they'll give you all 4 levels of "understanding" plus a bonus sign-on secret! Don't delay, act now, this information is not sold in stores

Only if you were a modern day Christian who lost track of the roots from where the stories came from...

I agree a Christian should not lose track of their roots. This is true for just about everything, never forget where you came from. Anywho, even if one were to lose track, it does not nullify God's promise. No commandment that says "thou shalt not neglect thy study of history".

Enjoy, after all, if you cant speculate or consider other possibilities, why pose a question.

A good point...though dAlen wouldn't be able to see where I can agree because s/he has me on ignore
. God bless you dAlen, His love and grace upon you and your family.

[edit on 15-12-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
Sure. We can take Moses as A author just like any other. The question then becomes can we validate what Moses is saying with a living source who was there at the time. That answer is yes.

Validating what Moses said would be holding the stone tablets that the 10 commandments were inscribed in to, in your hands. And God/Jesus is not validation of what Moses said. This ofcourse is all a hypothetical 'if' Moses in fact was the author of Genesis, and the next four books if I'm not mistaken?

I'd much rather interpret The Bible literally, than to twist it and say that a 450 foot wooden ship, is actually some sort of hi-tech scientific alien lab that held DNA of every single species on the planet.

But the fact that ancient civilizations were more advanced then us, would that suprise you in any way?

That's a possible theory. An exciting one too. However, if we're talking Egpytians, that whole thing about the pyramids being aligned with stars or something, I read a little about that a while ago. Maybe they were just brilliant astrologers, or maybe aliens came and built the pyramids. I'm not really here to ponder that though.

Personally, to interpret The Bible literally, especially the Old Testament, that would be dangerous. There's a lot that's said there, that you probably wouldn't follow so closely today. You can also look at The Bible and learn the lessons it has to offer, the fables, the many philosophies that Jesus taught. But I think you need to draw the line at science labs with DNA rocking about inside. That theory is really kinda out there, and belongs in a science fiction neo-bible part of the forum.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybabyBut I think you need to draw the line at science labs with DNA rocking about inside. That theory is really kinda out there, and belongs in a science fiction neo-bible part of the forum.

I never meant to imply i belived it was a wooden ark.

Which is easier to believe. That our planet was seeded by Elhoim (gods, plural) who were afraid of man (not to godley), "they are now like one of us, knowing good and evil" , "let us confuse their tounge lest they be like gods and NOTHING will be impossible they put their mind too."

So, again, our planet seeded by aliens (elohim, gods), and that advanced civilizations existed, etc. (even in judaism its known that the earth and civilizations existed before adam)...and with this dna put into tubes onto some lab...(not wood boat, but who knows whats up).

the above is more feasible than a boat...with a zoo on it. :-) (not big enough, and to much work, feeding, etc....wouldnt work, the other can)

As for science, it would support the one theory better than the zoo in a wood boat.

Religion supports this theory to...look at various religions, including judaims...sure Christianity might lack imagination, or rather might be the ones with the imagination taking things so literal.

But enough...the details are there, Im not here to convince anyone, and I can only go so far with an argument, and its either observed and understood or not.

Peace

dAlen

What do all the post in this thread have to do with the actual topic of abosoute power of Christianity? Suppose a lot could be mini threads...I agree with (forgot who) that this thread has out grown itself and should have been closed awhile back

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well we're talking about Christianity, therefore Christianity has had some sort of effect on us, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it.

I think by discussing such things as Noah's Ark, Tower of Babel etc. We can understand that there are some people out there who are so caught up in their religion, in this case Christianity, that they'll believe stories like Noah's Ark are to be literally interpreted. That is The Power of Christianity.

I don't think we're off topic at all. I think the only thing slightly off topic would be discussing that the Ark could have been a science lab in the sky that had DNA onboard.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
shaunybaby, there are many things that I would like to reply to from your post, but your interpretation of what I was saying seems to be disconnected from what I originally said. You may have been confused from the quote that appeared at the top of my response This was not my quote, I was quoting someone else and my response was to that. After reading the following you might want to re read my original post.

i did NOT get a choice in my earlier years

Are you mad at religion, or mad at your parents? It seems more that you're mad at your parents.

I was responding to someone else who had responded to my original post where I had stated that I thought it was funny that that someone(like the original poster)thought that Christianity has all this 'absolute power'. I don't see it. And now you guys are talking about religion through the ages, and yes, long ago there was no seperation of the church and state. Although some might argue that there is a cooperation between the shadow government and the Catholic church even today.

And you would have grown up not knowing anything about the world you live in. Actually your parents didn't make you, the government did. It's actually the law that you have to go to school.

You're saying this as in response to me saying that I desired to stay in bed, as if you think I thought it was a good idea. It's not a good idea, and I'm thankful for my parents, obviously for doing this. My point, again, to show that parents raising a kid and making choices for them is a good thing. And no, the government did not wake me up every morning, it actually was my parents, usually my mom, because my dad would have been hitting snooze himself.

Originally posted by c3hamby
If you're an adult, now you get to choose those things for yourself.

So I guess you're going to bring up little atheist babies that don't go to school and make every single choice for themselves? So you'll 'make' them be atheists, just like your parents made you be religious, so you'd be doing exactly the same thing. Definitely an unresolved issue with your parents.

This might be true if I was in fact an atheist. But I'm not, and neither was this communicated in my post. Nobody has made me be anything.

But your point agrees with mine, that parents will influence their offspring with whatever beliefs they have. This does not make an absolute power out of Christianity, though.

My philosophy of life is that we are born perfect. Our parents raise us the best they can, and we spend the rest of our life trying to get back to the womb and correct their mistakes.

As men we spend the rest of our lives trying to 'get back in'.. Amen to that brother.

I knew someone was going to take it that way. Which makes me wonder if I should even bother with this.

The infant is perfection. I'm not referring to returning to the womb for sexual relations, but to the state of perfection that that is the infant.

So was church really all that bad? I went to church sometimes, went to Christian youth groups, went to schools where we sung hyms and prayers. I don't blame the schools or my parents, that was part of my life, and it's a part of who I am now. I don't regret it. I also don't believe in any of it. If anything it helped me 'see' for myself what it was all about, it just didn't appeal to me.

I never said church was bad. But your post again supports my post, that the church did not demonstrate absolute power over you either. You went, you got what you needed and what you didn't need you left behind.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Isn�t it just a bunch of recycled rehash taken from other ancient civilizations mythologies?

Of course these are also pagan religions by Christianities terms.

The Bible is one big book of contradictions.

God isn�t better than any of neither you nor you him.

Quite frankly its a lie written by man for man to read. Someones bs is anothers tresure.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonata
Isn�t it just a bunch of recycled rehash taken from other ancient civilizations mythologies?

Actually, mythologies all come from Babylon. Their purpose is to keep you from seeing the Messiah. See how effective it is

Of course these are also pagan religions by Christianities terms.

No, they are pagan by Gods terms. Don't be confused by the Church of Rome which is Mystery Babylon.

The Bible is one big book of contradictions.

You have visited too many skeptic bible sites. The blind leading the blind.

Quite frankly its a lie written by man for man to read. Someones bs is anothers tresure.

Then it should be easy for you to list the incorrect prophecies. I'll settle for one.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I believe the controversy regarding posting of the 10 commandments was at a court house. Our laws are based on the 10 commandments and so it is appropriate to have a memorial of the foundational premise at such a site. If you would like to have a statue of Satan then Hollywood might be an appropriate place to erect it.
As for television depicting Christians as being intolerant (to homosexuals or any other special interest group you think has more rights than the rest of us), television programs frequently depict Christians as insane or stupid. ("God told me to kill all the whores on this bus" or "let me just pray with you while you butcher my children", etc.). Christian values built this great country and our current lack of same are destroying it.
Religious systems (including Christianity) will collapse under the weight of their internal system of errors but Christian beliefs (and genuine Christians) will not.
America has a lot of history which is shameful (including atrocities by religious sheeple and powermad religious leaders). Respecting the aspects of our history which ARE commendable by erecting monuments to commemorate those values we cherish is noble and appropriate. This country was built on the concept of RELIGIOUS freedom. All other freedoms/liberties stem from that. Attacking that foundation should not be a social experiment based on popular (shaped) opinion of the current faddish mindset.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Christianity has NO power. What POWER does it have? Someone please explain this to me. Is religion about power? Because if it is, then it's wrong. But, all religion is wrong. There's something wrong with any Christian that wants POWER.

What do Christians do with their supposed power? I mean, I know in the past they used to kill indiginous peoples and commit genocide against people of other religions. What are they looking to do with their POWER today?

Does God want people to have power or faith?

This whole thread makes me sick!

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I think the original post was sarcasm?

But we'll take for example, a story I saw on TV, I think it was a program with Richard Dawkins. And they ended up finding a man, who had shot dead an abortion doctor, and said he was justified in doing so because The Bible says he could do that.

Now that's a kind of scary power when you think about it. A man who disagrees with abortion, he's a Christian, and what puts him over the edge to make his decision is reading a book.

Let's go for a bit of a nicer example of the power of Christianity. Something about keeping the sabbath holy. 'Keep the sabbath day holy'? Hence, go to church on Sunday. And people do. Millions go to church on Sunday, and all because a book says so. If that's not power of people, I don't know what is.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Let's go for a bit of a nicer example of the power of Christianity. Something about keeping the sabbath holy. 'Keep the sabbath day holy'? Hence, go to church on Sunday. And people do. Millions go to church on Sunday, and all because a book says so. If that's not power of people, I don't know what is.

Except...that the Sabbath is actually referring to Saturday. Jewish people still continue to worship on this day because of the passage you are referring to.

The Sabbath refers to Saturday

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Except...that the Sabbath is actually referring to Saturday. Jewish people still continue to worship on this day because of the passage you are referring to.

The Sabbath refers to Saturday

And if you had bothered to read the link you provided you'll see where it says about Roman Catholics and other Christian Groups having Sunday as their 'day of rest'. And since when were we talking about Jewish people? Absolute power of Christianity is the topic. If you want to start a thread about Jewish people having Sabbath on Saturday, then go for it.

The point is that a book can have so much effect on a person's life, the way they think, the way they feel. Common sense tells me that I shouldn't cheat on my wife, but in Christian terms that makes you a sinner, and unless you repented that sin, you would go to hell. Now that's power. You're going to go to hell if you do this? Pretty, good persuasion not to do something.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

And if you had bothered to read the link you provided you'll see where it says about Roman Catholics and other Christian Groups having Sunday as their 'day of rest'. And since when were we talking about Jewish people? Absolute power of Christianity is the topic. If you want to start a thread about Jewish people having Sabbath on Saturday, then go for it.

Except, that the Old Testament that the Jewish people use, and the Old Testament the Christian people is the same Old Testament.

The Jewish people are going by what was originally commanded by the Bible, which you can say that they are being controlled by this Absolute Power, the Christians are not doing that.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
"Some of the Pharisees said, "This man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath." But others asked, "How can a sinner do such miraculous signs?" So they were divided." - John 9:16

"Indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, the synagogue ruler said to the people, "There are six days for work. So come and be healed on those days, not on the Sabbath."
"The Lord answered him, "You hypocrites! Doesn't each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water?" - Luke 13:15

"Then Jesus said to them, "The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath." - Luke 6:5

The Sabbath rest was a gift given to man, so that they may come into the presence of God. The Sabbath is not a duty for which man was created, rather a very rejuvenative opportunity to connect, appreciate, worship and share in the peace of God. If you're not a believer feel free to work on both Saturday and Sunday. As for me though, I'm taking both days off...but will remember God on these days as I rest, just as I'm to remember God on the days of my work. He's not a "part-time God", rather should be in our minds and hearts every second of every day.:

"Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." - Mark 2:27

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
saint, the hebrew faith would completely disagree with matthew 2:27
there is an entire group of christians devoted to preserving the traditions of the hebrew faith, the jews for jesus

saint, why should you disobey the kosher laws?
they are written in the text you take as perfect and infallible

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Not all of the Hebrew faith (arguably, Christians are of the Hebrew faith). The ones who are Orthodox Jews more than likely would. Messianic Jews would disagree with your statement here.

there is an entire group of christians devoted to preserving the traditions of the hebrew faith, the jews for jesus

There's nothing wrong with the traditions of the Hebrew faith. I like them myself and am currently reading more about them.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." - Matthew 5:17

What does this "fulfillment" mean? Certainly there's more, but I'm confident you already know the answer to your own question.

I see nothing wrong with the text. But, I refuse to take one sentence and misappropriate it. There's a whole story, that Book, it's a very interesting read should you wish to do so sometime. It can be difficult in the beginning because since Christ came, what we see as "modern day" and "common sense" came to fruition. I'd suggest then, John first through Revelation, then looping back to Genesis and going forward.

[edit on 22-12-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   

And since when were we talking about Jewish people? Absolute power of Christianity is the topic. If you want to start a thread about Jewish people having Sabbath on Saturday, then go for it.

Starting to remind me of another poster.

Its apparent, from your responces to my post, your missing the point, and taking some points that were not even directed to you at all. (such as being on topic.)

As for the above quote...(though it was your responce to someone else) Judaism has everything to do with Christianity.
You cant look at the object by itself if you truly want to understand it.
But since you rule out judaism, it makes sence why you couldnt understand my post.
Enough on this...as this will not clarify things for you, I dont think, nor does it have to be...so I will let it rest.

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 22-12-2006 by dAlen]

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Jews for Jesus is basically a baptist mentality runned organization. (seriously)
They dont keep kosher etc.
There is a group of Christians that try to be both Jewish and Christian (more so than Jews for Jesus)

Thank you for not calling them messianic jews, as all jews are messianic...(they kind of stole a term it would seem?

Lets talk of the two messiahs, (messiah ben David and messiah ben yosef)...but a Christian would not be familiar with this concept, if so they would better understand why the Christian concept of messiah is different than the Jewish one. (again, orthodox would apply here in the knowledge, even more so Chassidic) One note: this info will not be divulged by a rabbi to a Christian, unless you know how to word it.
(saw this in effect myself when a Christian aksed the rebbe about it.)

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 22-12-2006 by dAlen]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Lets talk of the two messiahs, (messiah ben David and messiah ben yosef)...

Let's not, since there's at least one (probably more) thread about it. Move the "other messiah" topic there, looks like I'm on the most recent one. "Doctor Spin, please go to the appropriate room, Doctor Spin..."

Please read the subject of this discussion and discuss.

but a Christian would not be familiar with this concept,

This statement is incorrect. Heard it before therefore your statement is false. In addtion, I have great doubt that I'm the only Christian who has.

if so they would better understand why the Christian concept of messiah is different than the Jewish one. (again, orthodox would apply here in the knowledge, even more so Chassidic) One note: this info will not be divulged by a rabbi to a Christian, unless you know how to word it.
(saw this in effect myself when a Christian aksed the rebbe about it.)

If you take the college class Philosophies of Life by Dr. Jeff Jordan, he reviews this. Or even World Religions by Dr. Alan Fox at the same university, he does as well. It's not "special" or "secret" knowledge. Anyone can even pick up a book on the history of Judiasm and get the same. Sorry, you're not special here dAlen, apologies if you thought you were.

You're also implying a Rabbi has something to hide. Be careful there.

[edit on 17-1-2007 by saint4God]

top topics

<< 108  109  110    112  113  114 >>

join