It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Absolute Power of Christianity!

page: 105
<< 102  103  104    106  107  108 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prote

Originally posted by saint4God
There are details. Some people aren't interested in sincerely pursuing them.

What details? Please list them.

saint, I am sure it was simply an oversight but you appeared to have missed my post. You have since posted in a reply to shaunybaby that you can help people find God so why not help the public find God and post the details. I can assure you I am serious. If God exists and people have proof then it's available isn't it?

What are the details you speak of?

[edit on 1/11/06 by Prote]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

saint, I am sure it was simply an oversight but you appeared to have missed my post. You have since posted in a reply to shaunybaby that you can help people find God so why not help the public find God and post the details. I can assure you I am serious. If God exists and people have proof then it's available isn't it?

What are the details you speak of?

When you said, "I did that. There are no details." You have come to a conclusion before we had gotten hardly anywhere in our U2U's. We're in the beginning of the beginning. Are you then "done" already? This would demonstrate to me that you're not serious about this pursuit.

I hope that I'm wrong. If I am, please reply to the U2U message sent: 25-10-2006 at 06:58 AM. Then, we we've both exhaused all attempts, then I can understand you saying "I did that. There are no details."

The details are public. I bring to the table nothing new, only demonstrating/illustrating how they work. I could make broad statements but it does little to help an individual. Your history is not the same as shauny's...nor is your present, nor is your future. The great thing about not being robotic is that God has a plan for each of us that involves a one-on-one relationship. My objective is to strengthen that connection with you as a person to God Himself. If I do not know neither you nor God this would be impossible. But, I have seen it happen and it a remarkably incredible thing to witness. I then get to bow out, being available only for questions or advice should there be any difficulty thereafter. It is a hands-on miracle that demonstrations the absolute power of God. I have seen this, I will testify.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

You're still working with low probabilities...not conceivably impossibilities. Let's go to the next level please.

And you're still working with mytical elements to explain low possibility events.. SO I'll say to you.. Let's go to the next level.

Nope and is not what I've said nor saying. Really shauny, did you expect to get anywhere with that last statement?

So now you're saying that you're not attributing God to those healings? Make your mind up please.

Because it CAN affect your life. Perhaps it didn't, perhaps it doesn't, but it can.

It never has affected my life, and until your God decides to not be so lazy and just doing miracles for people you seem to know, then maybe other people might be able to also witness something for themselves.. Right now he seems to be stuck over in your neck of the woods.. Maybe he lost his passport?

I'm talking about defying probability, not attributing probability to God.

Yes and because something defies possibility you're attributing that to God.

I needed to see in order to have proof.

So everything we see is true?

You've stated there is testimony from evolution. That is, something that you've experienced. I'd like to hear about your experience in evolving. What were you before? A fish? An ape? How are you different now? How did the change take place? What were the mechanisms for this change?

Any idea how childish you sound? How old are you..

''Humans are the testimony to evolution''..

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
And you're still working with mytical elements to explain low possibility events.. SO I'll say to you.. Let's go to the next level.

I don't work with myth, sorry. I don't have that kind of time.

So now you're saying that you're not attributing God to those healings? Make your mind up please.

This question isn't related to your previous one. But, I'll answer this as clearly as possible. Prayer, a petition to God, most certainly works. I am not saying all requests are granted like some kind of a magical wishing-genie, I'm saying that God gets involved in that person's life and produces a result sometimes visible, sometimes invisible. The visible can be evidenced.

It never has affected my life,

I am sorry to hear that, but it can.

and until your God decides to not be so lazy

you're blaming Him? You sound like a spoiled child now, "Give me what I want or I don't love you!". Nice.

and just doing miracles for people you seem to know, then maybe other people might be able to also witness something for themselves.. Right now he seems to be stuck over in your neck of the woods.. Maybe he lost his passport?

Why do you think He's over in "my neck of the woods"?

What do you attitribute defiances of possibility to?

So everything we see is true?

Where have I said that?

Any idea how childish you sound? How old are you..

Older than I feel.

''Humans are the testimony to evolution''..

Hehe, nope, that's not testimony. That's an unsubstantiated assumption. YOU did not experience evolution, therefore you cannot testify to it.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I don't work with myth, sorry. I don't have that kind of time.

That's odd, because The Bible is full of them.

This question isn't related to your previous one. But, I'll answer this as clearly as possible. Prayer, a petition to God, most certainly works. I am not saying all requests are granted like some kind of a magical wishing-genie, I'm saying that God gets involved in that person's life and produces a result sometimes visible, sometimes invisible. The visible can be evidenced.

There's still no 'proof' that any God is at work. The fact remains that if a child is denied medication for their diabetis and is merely prayed for, for God to heal.. Then that child will die without his/her essential insulin. Despite your faith saint, prayer is not proven to work.

you're blaming Him? You sound like a spoiled child now, "Give me what I want or I don't love you!". Nice.

I never said I 'wanted' it. So no I'm not acting like a spoilt child, because I don't want it. Grow up saint, stop trying to pick holes what I write, especially when you get it wrong.

Why do you think He's over in "my neck of the woods"?

Seems you've got excess miracles over there.

What do you attitribute defiances of possibility to?

Luck. But just because something is one million to one.. It doesn't mean because it happens once, or even twice that it's a 'defiance' of possibility.

Where have I said that?

You said you had to 'see' to be able to believe in God. I'm asking you is seeing believing now?

Hehe, nope, that's not testimony. That's an unsubstantiated assumption. YOU did not experience evolution, therefore you cannot testify to it.

So because someone can testify that a ghost exists in their house, because they're experienced it, that to you is more proof than something like evolution can offer? Just because someone's 'experienced' it? That's a real good thought process you got going there saint.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   

That's odd, because The Bible is full of them.

Where at?

There's still no 'proof' that any God is at work.

Not for you, no. For the recipient of the miracle there is no doubt. Why is that?

The fact remains that if a child is denied medication for their diabetis and is merely prayed for, for God to heal.. Then that child will die without his/her essential insulin. Despite your faith saint, prayer is not proven to work.

"Do not put the Lord your God to the test". Already in the book and already addressed...at least twice.

I never said I 'wanted' it. So no I'm not acting like a spoilt child, because I don't want it. Grow up saint, stop trying to pick holes what I write, especially when you get it wrong.

Aha! So it's okay for you to call me a child and question my age, but not the reverse?

Seems you've got excess miracles over there.

Yeah, very grateful for that. There's more, these are just from other people I know.

Luck.

A Celtic religion. Fine, though didn't know you ascribed to druidic faith.

But just because something is one million to one.. It doesn't mean because it happens once, or even twice that it's a 'defiance' of possibility.

1 in a million is not defiance of possibility. You had said defiance of possibility, not low probability. What do you attribute the defiance of possibility to?

You said you had to 'see' to be able to believe in God. I'm asking you is seeing believing now?

No, even that was not enough. When I began doubting myself, I needed a kick in the rump again.

So because someone can testify that a ghost exists in their house, because they're experienced it, that to you is more proof than something like evolution can offer?

Yep.

Just because someone's 'experienced' it? That's a real good thought process you got going there saint.

Experience does count for something. When coupled with fact/truth, it is another point of validation.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Where at?

Genesis, Verse 1 Chapter 1.

Not for you, no. For the recipient of the miracle there is no doubt. Why is that?

Because they are desperate for hope.

"Do not put the Lord your God to the test". Already in the book and already addressed...at least twice.

That's extremely convenient. Sort of like a Christian loop hole to get out of answering 'why' God doesn't heal 'everyone', and the answer is of course 'God don't do no tests'.

Aha! So it's okay for you to call me a child and question my age, but not the reverse?

Again you've not even read what I wrote. Yes I called you a child, because you were acting like one. However, you said I was acting like a spoilt child on the basis that I wanted God, but I don't 'want' God, hence I'm not acting like a spoilt child. I don't mind if you call me something that I actually am, but to call me something and make up things that I supposedly 'want'?

A Celtic religion. Fine, though didn't know you ascribed to druidic faith.

I have no association with any Celtic religion whatsoever. I believe in luck, bad luck etc. Don't get me wrong, I know there's no such thing, however, I do sometimes have rubbish days which I call bad luck, and when I have a good day, that's good luck. For example, If I break a glass, that's bad luck. So I wouldn't mind knowing where the religion comes in to this?

1 in a million is not defiance of possibility. You had said defiance of possibility, not low probability. What do you attribute the defiance of possibility to?

Defiance of possibility doesn't even make sense. If it's a 'possibility', no matter what the odds, there is still the possibility.

So because someone can testify that a ghost exists in their house, because they're experienced it, that to you is more proof than something like evolution can offer?

Yep.

That's a very flawed ideology there. I'd love to see you in court as a lawyer 'But Judge, my defendant said he didn't do it, that's his testimony, so I think you'll find he's right'. Pathetic.

Experience does count for something. When coupled with fact and truth, it is another point of validation.

Fact and truth? What exactly in the Christian faith is fact and thruth? It's faith and belief.. don't confuse that with fact and truth.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

That's extremely convenient. Sort of like a Christian loop hole to get out of answering 'why' God doesn't heal 'everyone', and the answer is of course 'God don't do no tests'.

No, no, the obvious answer is that if God healed Christians every time there then Christians would never die (physically). Of course then everyone would want to be a Christian for the purpose of eternal life. Wait a min! I think that is why we become Christians.

Maybe the answer is that healing your physical body eternally might be a sort of damnation. Perhaps that's the reason that Adam and Eve were not allowed to eat from the Tree of Life.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Since I firmly believe that prayers have some sort of effect, and they are helpful, but also that they are non-denominational. Buddhist prayers, Muslim prayers, Jewish, Hindu, Wiccan, Sikh, all the traditional religions' prayers, etc., all work, imho. I don't see the head guide playing favorites, and having a pet religion. If someone is not interested in being healed, or if the script calls for him to bow out at that particular point in life, no prayers will change that. If someone has the will to heal, no prayers are necessary, but they can't hurt.... That is what I feel in my heart is how it works. You cannot petition the lord with prayer, as Jim Morrison said. And "Thy will be done.", "Inshallah", and other phrases that recognize the concept that whatever will be, will be, are what I expect is the case. In other words, we can't tell what will happen, and no matter how sure we are that we know for a fact that something will happen..... it might not. I am lucky, I have often been so totally certain as to not have entertained the thought that it might not be the way I 'knew' it was..... and then been blown away, totally offbase, not even close. Lucky me, I feel that helped me decide that what is yet to come cannot be known. It will all play out as it should, and though some may guess right, they didn't know for sure.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   
If prayer really did work, why do charities ask for money, why don't they ask you to pray?

We don't need to spend millions of dollars putting in water pipes, we can just pray for rain!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Genesis, Verse 1 Chapter 1.

Where is the contradiction in this verse?

Because they are desperate for hope.

They're not desperate AFTER they've received the miracle. Why thank God then? Also, why would others then pray for them?

You're assuming that healing them is best. What if heaven is better? What if something comes from that suffering?

Again you've not even read what I wrote.

Do you know how difficult it is to maintain a dialogue-style conversation (as we do) without reading what you wrote? C'mon shauny....

Yes I called you a child, because you were acting like one.

Sticks and stones baby. This accusation makes no futherance in keeping the discussion progressive.

However, you said I was acting like a spoilt child on the basis that I wanted God, but I don't 'want' God, hence I'm not acting like a spoilt child.

If you prod me, it's only right that I get to prod you back
. Please don't take it personally, I know as much about you as you know about me. You do want God to proof Himself to you to show you He exists, else you'll not believe. This is what I'm talking about. Is this an incorrect statement? Not that I can blame anyone for feeling this way, as that is how I was myself. What changed was making the efforts to find out.

I don't mind if you call me something that I actually am, but to call me something and make up things that I supposedly 'want'?

Tit for tat, I digress and apologize for returning the label back to you. I should stand without retaliation and not do so. Lesson learned.

I have no association with any Celtic religion whatsoever. I believe in luck, bad luck etc.

Who now is contradicting themselves? I supposed you can say other societies adopted luck, but a Celt will tell you the origin of luck belongs to them. I'm not one of them and don't really care. I'll give you benefit of the doubt and assume you don't know what luck is or where it came from.

Don't get me wrong, I know there's no such thing, however, I do sometimes have rubbish days which I call bad luck, and when I have a good day, that's good luck. For example, If I break a glass, that's bad luck. So I wouldn't mind knowing where the religion comes in to this?

Luck is based on superstition. Are you saying we need to base science on superstition? That and luck are fundamental principles of druidism.

oldsuperstitions.com...
(There are some inaccuracies on this site, stating that luck and Christianity are compatible in some places, but that's neither the case nor origin)

Spells are cast to affect luck. Imbuing, transforming, translocating and so forth, but would rather not discuss the details here.

Defiance of possibility doesn't even make sense. If it's a 'possibility', no matter what the odds, there is still the possibility.

Yet you believe (or stated you believe) that it does exists here:

Sir, you're contradictions are piling up on your end. Mind addressing some of them?

That's a very flawed ideology there. I'd love to see you in court as a lawyer 'But Judge, my defendant said he didn't do it, that's his testimony, so I think you'll find he's right'. Pathetic.

Ah, but testimony DOES count in court. Does it not? Not in total, but it is a point of validation. This is what I said.

Fact and truth? What exactly in the Christian faith is fact and thruth? It's faith and belief.. don't confuse that with fact and truth.

Thanks for the advice and will make sure to continue to not do so.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

If prayer really did work, why do charities ask for money, why don't they ask you to pray?

We don't need to spend millions of dollars putting in water pipes, we can just pray for rain!

Because even they know that'd be stupid.. ^.^

Originally posted by saint4god
Where is the contradiction in this verse?

Who said anything about a contradiction. I was talking about fairytales and mythical stories. Because the sooner you get over that, then we can perhaps take it to the next level.

They're not desperate AFTER they've received the miracle. Why thank God then? Also, why would others then pray for them?

People of organized religion are desperate. It's their desperation that leads them to conclusions such as 'God is real'.

You're assuming that healing them is best. What if heaven is better? What if something comes from that suffering?

Then why pray for anyone with a disease? Or why have faith healing rallies? Surely if heaven is so great, disease should be a blessing, and thus people would not get prayed for to get better, the only prayer given should be to pray that they go without too much pain. If I truely believed in God and heaven, I'd be ecstatic that I got a life threatening disease.. Screw healing me! I'm gonna go meet the maker. However, obviously people on their death bed, begin to feel as though there is no hope, hence GIVE ME THE MEDS, GIVE ME THE MEDS!

Sticks and stones baby. This accusation makes no futherance in keeping the discussion progressive.

And nor does acting like a child. You have a very 'I'm-far-supior-to-anyone-here' attitude about you. That's just the way you come across.

If you prod me, it's only right that I get to prod you back
. Please don't take it personally, I know as much about you as you know about me. You do want God to proof Himself to you to show you He exists, else you'll not believe. This is what I'm talking about. Is this an incorrect statement? Not that I can blame anyone for feeling this way, as that is how I was myself. What changed was making the efforts to find out.

No, I don't 'want' God to show himself. Personally I don't agree with a lot that God has let happen and done. So even if he did show himself, I wouldn't care, I wouldn't give myself to Christ or God. So it's an incorrect statement.

Who now is contradicting themselves? I supposed you can say other societies adopted luck, but a Celt will tell you the origin of luck belongs to them. I'm not one of them and don't really care. I'll give you benefit of the doubt and assume you don't know what luck is or where it came from.

I don't care where it came from, I have no association with Celtic religion. Just because I like meditating, peace of mind, spiritual things etc.. it does not make me a buddhist. Just because I like football, it does not make me a football hooligan. Just because I believe Jesus walked the earth, it does not make me a Christian and so on.. See what I'm getting at? I acknoledge good and bad luck, but in the sense that if I break a mirror I say that's bad luck, good luck would be winning the lottery. It has nothing to do with religion.

Luck is based on superstition. Are you saying we need to base science on superstition? That and luck are fundamental principles of druidism.

When did I say science should be based on superstition? Don't put words in my mouth and don't make up things I haven't said.. It's tiring.

I'm an extremely superstitious person. For example my birthday is on the 14th september, and I was born in 1986. Therefore, with numbers I choose 14, 9, and 86 as my 'luckier' numbers. Of course this is not true that they are more likely to come up. I just do that out of habit. Whether or not they are fundamental principles of druidism, is neither here nor there.. My core beliefs are not focused on good/bad luck.

Sir, you're contradictions are piling up on your end. Mind addressing some of them?

Yes, I was saying that just because something is 1 billion to 1, or even 1 trillion to 1, and it happens, maybe even happens twice, or thrice.. it doesn't need attributing to God. So, addressed.

Ah, but testimony DOES count in court. Does it not? Not in total, but it is a point of validation. This is what I said.

No you were getting at testimony being the perfect word and the truth and fact of what happened. It is far from that. Just because someone says they saw a ghost, it does not add any validation to the existance of ghosts.

Fact and truth? What exactly in the Christian faith is fact and truth? It's faith and belief.. don't confuse that with fact and truth.

Thanks for the advice and will make sure to continue to not do so.

Advice? I see no advice. I see the 'fact' and 'reality' of it. Christianity is not fact and truth.. It's faith and belief. Sorry if that upsets you.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   

The right charities will ask you to pray. For example:

www.compassion.com...

When I get a pledge for a mission at church, I'm asked if I'd like to donate, pray or both. Often prayer can mean a whole lot more than mere money.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'"

So easy to say...so hard to do...

[edit on 2-11-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Oh yes, Christianity is nothing but a gift forced apon the world by people like you.

Noones ever died for nothing more than to expand Christian control over the world..

And Jesus was the only blue eyed, blonde haired white man in the middle east..

Feel free to btch slap your self back into reality at any point.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   

From what I have seen, any charities that are run by a religious group do ask you to pray. They do both. But I have traditionally supported non-religious charities, because of my personal concern that some groups combine preaching and giving. I don't approve of that. It is too easy to assume that you must agree to hear them out before you can be assured that they will let you eat....
But, why do the charities not just pray for the money themselves, Prote? Then they wouldn't even have to ask you?
As for scientific proof of prayer working, if you search online you will find some. I found three separate studies, all done using very careful scientific measures to eliminate as many variables as possible. And these three studies all found 'statistically significant' improvements in the 'prayed for' groups. In one case they went so far as to say that if they had been testing a drug to see if it worked, it would have been approved.
But, I also believe prayer is not a guarantee by far. For reasons posted earlier.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
But, why do the charities not just pray for the money themselves, Prote? Then they wouldn't even have to ask you?

Exactly. Beats me completely, unless of course, prayer didn't work.

As for scientific proof of prayer working, if you search online you will find some. I found three separate studies, all done using very careful scientific measures to eliminate as many variables as possible. And these three studies all found 'statistically significant' improvements in the 'prayed for' groups. In one case they went so far as to say that if they had been testing a drug to see if it worked, it would have been approved.

shaun mentioned such a study with the opposite results. Studies are great aren't they. I have participated in PMA studies, the effects of will and the psychology surrounding the outcome of events or situations based on attitudes. Some would say that simply being positive is a form of praying and I can see that link. But then someone ruins it by definitively claiming it is the work of God. God is much higher up the chain, some things that are attributed to God are laughable when pain and suffering is all around us and it is conveniently ignored whilst religion is the only thing in existence that is beyond question or scrutiny, it's farcical to be in that situation in 2006.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Disraeli said, 'There are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are statistics.'
If I was to try to list the things I found beyond farcical in 2006.........
How about 29 000 kids a day starving to death while the worlds military budget topped a trillion dollars a year last year? Gee, can't we afford to feed those kids?
Or all the other blatantly hypocritical and/or totally insane policies and practices still in place? Still, builders label the 13th floor of a building as the 14th? Who are they trying to fool? (its still the 13th floor.....shhhhh)
Or the way that every religion preaches love and peace, yet they all hate each other and are killing each other.
But my favourites are the misconceptions which scientists and universities still teach as being the best theory, when there have been decades of research and evidence which contradicts the theory. It is a practice which they claim that they don't do, and that they accuse the religious people of doing all the time. Science, religion, etc., all say that they are the ones on the right track, and can all be seen either avoiding, ignoring, or even burying evidence that contradicts them.
I feel that we, humanity as a whole, have to inevitably answer for our carelessness. We think we are above nature, and can control nature, but I feel that is wrong. All the evidence in history shows how when a species becomes too numerous, the environment can no longer support them, and they crash. That is the way it has always been. We are no exception.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Great White Cheney
Oh yes, Christianity is nothing but a gift forced apon the world by people like you.

Please explain how I have forced anything upon anyone.

Noones ever died for nothing more than to expand Christian control over the world..

Christianity does not care about world control.

And Jesus was the only blue eyed, blonde haired white man in the middle east..

Already a thread out there regarding this. I believe he was mediterranian, more than likely dark hair and indicative of the Hebrew people in the area.

Feel free to btch slap your self back into reality at any point.

I'm in reality...unless you're in my fantasy too

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Or the way that every religion preaches love and peace, yet they all hate each other and are killing each other.

Not all:

"You shall not murder"
"love your neighbor as yourself"
"love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you"

What religion says these things?

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Not all:

"You shall not murder"
"love your neighbor as yourself"
"love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you"

What religion says these things?

So saint, you're saying that there's no murder in the bible? or no hatred toward your neighbor, fellow human, or enemy in the bible?

You might want to read back, there's even examples of God telling people to go and commit murder, mass murder in fact in the form of war. God's done his fair share of killing, he wiped out animals, organisms, people in the flood. Jesus got all raged that one time and starting going crazy in the temple at the money lenders.. how is that loving your neighbor or enemy? It's not showing us a very good example.. 'If you don't like something, go turn over their tables and destroy what they own'..

new topics

top topics

<< 102  103  104    106  107  108 >>

join