It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universal and reusable virus deactivation system for respiratory protection

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Interesting...so letting a controlled fever run its course may be the way to go...

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Interesting...so letting a controlled fever run its course may be the way to go...

That's what I've been thinking. The fever serves a purpose for the body, and perhaps should not be suppressed lest it suppress known and unknown functions. Perhaps like I've been reading about soothing but not completely suppressing a cough.

Even more to think about with the WHO officially advising against taking Ibuprofen because it may be causing additional complications. I've seen some recommendations not to use any NSAIDs.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I've been thinking about a simple way to use elastic to make a fitted mask out of a bandana or piece of cloth, that most anyone could do themselves. I have a ton of fabric from my mother that I can practice on until I get it right. (She'd like her fabric being put to good use!) And if I can figure it out, I'll be happy to share.

My husband is considered essential support services, so I don't expect he will stop working completely even if a "shelter in place" order is issued. He has a couple masks he's re-using (blows them out with the air compressor at night), but those aren't going to last forever. I want to have something for him. Thanks so much for this.

Look into getting a UV 3 STERILIZATION LIGHT they have them on Amazon, kills Corona virus not sure if it kills COVID 19 but some articles say it does

just read the directions like dont look at it while it is on I put on dark sunglasses and still avoid looking directly into it,watch your skn exposure too
edit on 18-3-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I've been doing the same...I'm fairly handy with a sewing machine.

I was thinking -- like you I assume -- a mask that completely wraps around the head might be a good way to approach it.

Like a two-layer long piece of fabric that can be fastened at the back of the head...snaps, ties, strips of elastics securing each end, and elastic running along the long top and bottom to seal.

The material itself should not be stretchy so the salt doesn't flake off or leave areas exposed when stretched.

I was also thinking the mouth and nose area could be padded in between the layers with a tightly knit material...

...like layers of coffee filters treated with the salt solution.

I think it would be best if the outer mask was treated with the salt solution separately so there would need to be a way to insert the filters...a simple opening on the inside layer where they could be slipped in.

Anyway, that's my best idea. Please share any ideas you come up with!

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Yes, I read that, too. My son went to take an ibuprofen because his legs were sore and I stopped him thanks to whoever posted that.

Besides, he needed to tough it out not take a pill. He's fine today, of course. Probably growing pains.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

My sister uses UV light as a dentist...

I wonder if dentists could be practicing in a safe way using UV light. I am going to pass the thought on to her so thank you. She was forced to close her office two days ago.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Look into getting a UV 3 STERILIZATION LIGHT they have them on Amazon, kills Corona virus not sure if it kills COVID 19 but some articles say it does...

I've been looking at blue lights and coronavirus too. I think it's safe to presume so. But blue light also stimulates the immune system, so even if it doesn't kill CoV-19, it still has benefits.

And people can create their own blue light with healing benefits, with sheer blue curtains or cloth over the window, or between you and a lamp, based on agriculture experiments. Apparently even being in a blue room can provide some benefit. The effects may be proportionate to the intensity of the light, so an electric light may be best. But it's better than nothing, especially if improvising is all someone's got.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I'm going to come back to this, because I'm trying to finish up a thread of my own.

But yes, we're thinking very similar. I also considered more of a hood design that could be tucked into clothing, or weighted at the hems. For a filter, I was thinking multiple layers of cotton cheesecloth sewn together, because I know some hospital/surgical masks are cheesecloth, and it's usually readily available. These could be washed and retreated for repeated use. It would be easy enough to sew a pocket inside for holding a filter.

When I can give it my full attention, I'll come back to this... it could become very important.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Ok, let me know when you feel you have a solid idea and I can put together a pattern-guide...like this one I just put together to show you what I was thinking:

edit on 3/18/2020 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   
bumping because it's good info I want people to have...

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

Siv through the mask. If you already like salt on your beer... Win Win!

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   

According to the news - which isn't saying much - Humid or DRY temps will keep you 'safer'.

Basically the salt dries out the virus. It's also incased in the salt when it re-crystallizes. I'm sure the salt somehow denatures the virus cell somehow, i'm guessing.
edit on 19-3-2020 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

According to the news - which isn't saying much - Humid or DRY temps will keep you 'safer'.

Basically the salt dries out the virus. It's also increased in the salt when it re-crystallizes. I'm sure the salt somehow denatures the virus cell somehow, i'm guessing.

Very interesting -- and good to know. Thank you!

It actually makes sense. Other factors, like sunlight and temperature, would also obviously affect the virus as well, and react with moisture levels. But it makes sense that the virus might require an optimal level of humidity or dew point, and either extreme -- too humid or too dry -- would kill it off. That's how it works for people anyway...

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

or make a hole to face mask and...

www.amazon.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join