It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Long-Term Lung Damage from COVID

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Something to be aware of. A doctor friend passed this along and had some questions about it that I couldn't answer, maybe someone here can.

People who recover after being infected with the novel coronavirus can still be left with substantially weakened lung capacity, with some left gasping for air when walking quickly, doctors in Hong Kong have found.

The Hong Kong Hospital Authority made the findings after studying the first wave of patients who were discharged from the hospital and had fully recovered from COVID-19.

Out of 12 people in the group, two to three saw changes in their lung capacity.

"They gasp if they walk a bit more quickly," Owen Tsang Tak-yin, the medical director of the authority's Infectious Disease Centre, told a press conference Thursday, according to the South China Morning Post.

"Some patients might have around a drop of 20 to 30% in lung function" after full recovery, he said.

Tsang added, however, that patients can do cardiovascular exercises, like swimming, the improve their lung capacity over time.

While it's too early to establish long-term effects of the disease, scans of nine patients' lungs also "found patterns similar to frosted glass in all of them, suggesting there was organ damage," Tsang said, according to the Post.

Current coronavirus patients' CT scans show "ground glass," a phenomenon in which fluid builds up in lungs and presents itself as white patches, as Business Insider's Aria Bendix has reported. The scans below, taken from one coronavirus patient at different points in time, show that the person's "ground glass" became more pronounced as their illness progressed.

What are the implications of this? How many people will be impacted by it? Is this the real intent of the virus?

Stay informed.

Source

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SonOfTheLawOfOne

not to be overly critical of chinese environmental standards

is this a direct and exclusive fall out from N19COVID

or the effects of recovery from N19COVID in the diabolical airquality of chinese cities

looking at recover rates world wide - i opine there are enough none chinese " recovereds " - that any exclusive N19COVID damage SHOULD be noticed

sorry chinese survivors - it sucks to have your polution

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   

If theres 30% loss of function for an organ, i wouldn't call that a recovery.

If covid-19 can, and some say it can, reinfect people, then those with only 70% of their lung capacity might not fair so well......

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Temporary diminished lung capacity is what I would expect. Not really sure what the articles point is.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It may not be only COVID-19 issue, the same can happen with any serious lung infection etc...scarring and diminished lung capacity happen also without covid-19 .

When i had pneumonia, it taked some time to get air flow back to normal, and they also see i had scar in left lung .

At least it`s not only covid-19 phenomenon

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The lung scarring from this virus is a problem from what I have read, so is damage to some other organs. It is not the only virus that does this. It is different than the influenza viruses in that aspect.

The best way to keep this from happening is learn to cook some good homecooked foods while you are stuck at home. Highly processed foods does not give you protection from viruses, you need a balanced diet. Moderation should be governed by food intolerance not by eating something because it is GRAS or eating something everyone is saying is good for everyone.

Everyone has different metabolism and needs to eat differently, but nobody can survive and be healthy from eating a diet high in highly prepared foods full of added chemicals. It can take years to develop a deficiency and that deficiency in essential chemistry that is missing can damage organs too, but to stay on track, it destroys our bodies ability to fend off viruses and infections along with dampening our ability to reason properly.

If you get a mild version of this virus, you will gain immunity and it will not damage anything. If you get a bad infection, yes, like many other infections, you can have problems with multiple organs, including the lungs.

A friend of mine last year got something that scarred up his lungs and raised his blood pressure high in weeks, they never figured out what caused that. He was sick for months, missing playing pinnacle, but he recovered, but one of his lungs is pretty scarred up and the other has just a little bit of scarring, so he does have a problem walking now, he used to love to go for walks. They tested for the flu, it was not the flu from the tests, they did not have anything else they could test for. Our medical science is not as good as most people think it is, in fact, I think that we are paying way too much for what we are getting. That needs to be fixed.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

Exactly, this would only be news if it didn't happen. Even surgery without a lung infection can diminish lung capacity.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

not to be overly critical of chinese environmental standards

is this a direct and exclusive fall out from N19COVID

or the effects of recovery from N19COVID in the diabolical airquality of chinese cities

looking at recover rates world wide - i opine there are enough none chinese " recovereds " - that any exclusive N19COVID damage SHOULD be noticed

sorry chinese survivors - it sucks to have your polution

Fox just reported that a Belgian doctor is finding the same thing in Belguim.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfTheLawOfOne
Something to be aware of. A doctor friend passed this along and had some questions about it that I couldn't answer, maybe someone here can.

People who recover after being infected with the novel coronavirus can still be left with substantially weakened lung capacity, with some left gasping for air when walking quickly, doctors in Hong Kong have found.

The Hong Kong Hospital Authority made the findings after studying the first wave of patients who were discharged from the hospital and had fully recovered from COVID-19.

Out of 12 people in the group, two to three saw changes in their lung capacity. ...

~Namaste

Almost every year I get hit with a pretty bad upper respiratory infection bad cold or mild flu). It starts to clear up after a couple of weeks, but my lung capacity is somewhat reduced for a while. It may take all of a month for me to get back to normal. I think that may be related to a couple of events in the past that affected my respiratory tract, namely exposure to airborne molds.

Just positing that maybe even the changes they are talking about are not forever, but just taking longer to clear up in some than in others.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Were any of these patients smokers? how does Corona affect those who are heavy smokers?

Surely this isn't over a long enough time to say the damage is permanent. Pneumonia can recover over months.
Lung capacity is something everybody takes for granted.
edit on 18-3-2020 by StrangeQuark96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Proteolytic enzymes aka systemic enzymes are good to clear lung scars IMO . Need to take on empty stomach, like first in the morning, becouse the enzymes will eat any food in the system if there is, and not get to blood then.

Proteolytic enzymes can act also against viruses

Enzymes and Viruses

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I have been wondering about this for a few days and here it is. The question that was worrying me was does this virus have a sting in its tail. Looks like it might.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: kode

Based on the OP I see nothing unusual as of now. Influenza does something similar.

Defective lung function following influenza virus

www.sciencedirect.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Anytime you get the severe symptoms associated with coronavirus -- pneumonia, ARDS -- in your lungs, you're risking lung damage, and it doesn't matter who you get those symptoms. Coronavirus isn't the only thing that causes those things.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Based on my experience once you start seeing those "Ground Glass opacities" on CT scans. Most People can and do recover but lung capacity does take a hit be it a small amount or greater

top topics

join