It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The rush to close businesses amid coronavirus reeks of white privilege

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Opening disclaimer about me: I am a white male in my mid 40s and I do not own or run a business.

Not sure what to say about this article from Philly.com which opens with this paragraph, "As I traversed downtown Philadelphia on Tuesday, I saw shuttered storefronts after Mayor Kenney ordered non-essential businesses to close to prevent the spread of coronavirus. I don’t disagree with the mayor’s order, and I believe it was necessary. But I also believe that much of the government and media response to this virus has come from a place of white privilege."

At its core I understand the point the author is trying to get across which to me is basically that for people of color owning and or operating a small business has challenges that doing the same for Caucasians doesn't have. I believe that in general that is a sadly accurate statement on just about everything in life. Not to say , it is right or wrong, but rather just to say it is my perception that it is a fact in many scenarios.

Where the author starts to lose me is with lines like this Fact of the matter is, it’s hard out here for black businesses. Because the reality of it is with the shutdown it's hard out here for all businesses regardless of race, creed, color or religion. I can't imagine there are a lot of small business owners out there that saying "Sweet, I'm white so this shutdown isn't going to hurt me"

Again, I understand what the author is trying to say but I just feel an article like this , written in this method , is more divisive then it is at driving home the point he is trying to make.

Anyway, something COVID but not COVID related for folks to ponder.

Closing Businesses During COVID Reeks of White Privilege

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Some people always have to find an angle, don't they?

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Another article written by a SJW moron. COLOR me surprised.

Are stores only open to white people while POC are not allowed? NO? Then how in the hell can anyone be privileged based on race?

One thing I am glad is shut down over this and it is our colleges that are brain washing people to be as stupid as the person who wrote this article.
edit on 18-3-2020 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Some people always have to find an angle, don't they?

Why yes, they do. Take a gander at this:

verysmartbrothas.theroot.com...

I had to make sure my glasses weren't on before I facepalmed, because it was going to be a doozy.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Opening disclaimer about me: I am a white male in my mid 40s and I do not own or run a business.

Not sure what to say about this article from Philly.com which opens with this paragraph, "As I traversed downtown Philadelphia on Tuesday, I saw shuttered storefronts after Mayor Kenney ordered non-essential businesses to close to prevent the spread of coronavirus. I don’t disagree with the mayor’s order, and I believe it was necessary. But I also believe that much of the government and media response to this virus has come from a place of white privilege."

At its core I understand the point the author is trying to get across which to me is basically that for people of color owning and or operating a small business has challenges that doing the same for Caucasians doesn't have. I believe that in general that is a sadly accurate statement on just about everything in life. Not to say , it is right or wrong, but rather just to say it is my perception that it is a fact in many scenarios.

Where the author starts to lose me is with lines like this Fact of the matter is, it’s hard out here for black businesses. Because the reality of it is with the shutdown it's hard out here for all businesses regardless of race, creed, color or religion. I can't imagine there are a lot of small business owners out there that saying "Sweet, I'm white so this shutdown isn't going to hurt me"

Again, I understand what the author is trying to say but I just feel an article like this , written in this method , is more divisive then it is at driving home the point he is trying to make.

Anyway, something COVID but not COVID related for folks to ponder.

Closing Businesses During COVID Reeks of White Privilege

Send some of that White Privilege to retail workers. Let's get them off the front lines.

What a dumb thing to write an article about.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699
What a dumb thing to write an article about.

Yeah it is, but that's what gets them paid. I was watching youtube videos on lunch the other day and came across this one:

I really enjoy this guys videos, but damn, that article he's talking about, I just can't believe people are that ridiculous. Well, I can believe it, I just wish I didn't have to. Mulan has too many white people behind the camera.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Whoomp there it is, covid 19 fear mongering is racist.

pitiful.

edit on 18-3-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   

White privilege is a myth. Might have been something back pre 1970's but I'm white guy in my 40' s had to work my but off for every thing I have. Nothing was given to me I didn't get any special treatment for being white.

I was taught at a young age the value of money and about stupid financial decisions from my parents and from one of my teachers back in grade school.had nothing to do with being white.

Grew up poor ,single mother raising 4 kids . Never thought I would make it. Now I'm doing well. House and cars paid off no debts and barely make over minimum wage. Saved and paid cash for everything and am tired of all the crybabies that want a hand out and blaming older white guys.

This is the USA the American dream wasnt ever about a free handout from white people.
edit on 18-3-2020 by cognizant420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   
What was the mayor supposed to say or do?

"All non-essential businesses owned by white people must close to help prevent the spread of CV. If you're a minority owned business you can stay open because...white privilege."

Yeah, makes perfect sense.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Blessed white and loving it. No apology, none I suppose the earthquake in Utah was white privilege ? Get a life !! or do what MJ did.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Now I can say that I have heard everything! We are in
the middle of a pandemic and closing businesses during
this crisis is now considered racist? I need another cup
of coffee...

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Well the first thing I do when I go in a store is ask what color.the owner is. Ya'll don't do that?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Hmmn........ Just as well the virus itself is colour blind.

Wait till those pushing 'white privilege' realise that!

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   
If anything good comes from Covid-19 let it be an end to fourth-wave feminism, intersectionality and the concept of racial privilege.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Hows about do something productive with this threat like prohibit Junk Mail.... for good... not some color tangent

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I hate the author of that article. I just hope I get my white privilege before we're living on the streets.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Lol.

We won't stand for this virus suppression no mo!

We demand state sponsored respirations for POC (People of Corona)!

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   

What is the percentage of migrant business being impacted by the close down.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
White privilege is at its core "White people are nice to each other".

Sorry that black people tend to treat each other like snip, tear each other down, hate to see others in their race do well, and kill each other at an alarming rate.

I guess it's easier to play the race card than to act humanely.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   
If COVID-19 infected a disproportionate amount of PoC, you know there would be an opinion piece about the virus being racist, or a weapon of the "white man".

Smdh.

top topics

join