It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Shooting at Atlanta Courthouse, Judge & Two Others Dead

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
One judge, Hon. Rowland Barnes, has been killied in a shooting at the Atlanta Superior Courthouse. In addtion, two deputies and a court reporter have also been shot. The court reporter and one deputy died in the attack, and the other deputy is in critical condition. The assailant is also believed to have shot others when he carjacked five cars after fleeing the scene of the shooting. The name of the suspect has been released as Brian Nichols. He is described as a black man wearing black pants and a blue shirt. He is still at large.
More details to follow as the story develops

news.yahoo.com
ATLANTA - Several people were shot Friday morning at the Fulton County Courthouse in downtown Atlanta, authorities said.

District attorney's office spokesman Erick Friedly confirmed the shootings but gave few details.

Television reports said a judge was among those hit and the suspected shooter got away in a carjacked car.

Police were searching for a gray Mercury Sable.

The shooting happened shortly after 9 a.m.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Nichols reportedly grabbed the service pistol of one of the deputies after entering the courthouse and opened fire.

Police are seeking a 1997 Green Honda Accord with the GA plate 658-4YN.

[edit on 11-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
They have now released the name of the assailant as Brian Nichols. Nichols is 34 years Old 6' 1" 200 lbs. The news is also confirming that two deputies and one court reporter have also been shot.

The Judge that was shot is Rowland Barnes.

The suspect is now believed to have hijacked at least 5 cars and tried to take one hostage.

Four people have now been confirmed as being shot.

AP is now reporting the court reporter has diied and one deptuy is in critical condition. No condition has been given for the 2nd deputy.

MSNBC is carrying live minute to minute coverage.

[edit on 3/11/2005 by shots]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Watching the story now and it makes me sick that they are already announcing the judges death when there is no way the family and friends could be notified yet . What a way to find out your loved one has been killed.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Snippers should be deployed on 285 and just take this punk out.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
If I were a government official I think I would be looking for another job these days.... Geez, this is starting to look like our country is starting to crumble into civil war.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
That last name gave me pause...

Snipers on 285? Are you nuts? I guess I shouldn't assume people know how hard it is to hit a laterally moving target at speed, but lemme tell you, it's hard. Even if they deployed on an overpass well in advance of the car, it would be a toss up whether or not the guy was still travelling in the direction, whether you could pick him out (that's why he hijacked so many cars, to confuse identification), and in the end, even if you dropped a sniper 2 miles down the road and he had time to do his calculations and get set up with a decent kill window, what's to say that when you kill the guy (assuming you can) his car doesn't careen all over the highway and kill more people?

Are they following the car with choppers right now, OJ style? If that's the case they can just wait till he runs out of gas or smashes into something. They could also lay down spikes or hit 'em with a Disabler.

I think the problem is they don't know what kind of car he's driving at the moment, because he jacked a bunch of different ones in rapid succession to throw off the police.

Edited to remove question regarding Nichols' family ties, new information makes my question irrelevant...

[edit on 11-3-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
There seems to be a lack in securing the prisoner and the deputies gun.

Early reports indicate that the suspect grabbed a gun from a deputy inside a courtroom on the ninth floor and shot the deputy and the judge.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Atlanta police are now asking that anyone seeing a 1987 Green Honda Accord GA plate 6584YN, should report it to police at once. Police are not sure the suspect is in fact in that car however they do believe that if it is found it might lead them to the suspect.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
They are now reporting that one of the depties has also died bringing the death toll to a total of three

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
That last name gave me pause...

Suppose there's any relation to Terry Nichols, of OKC infamy?

This Nichols is black. Funny how that wasn't even mentioned in his description above. Disturbing trend when the public's welfare is being jeopardized in the name of political correctness.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karellen

This Nichols is black. Funny how that wasn't even mentioned in his description above. Disturbing trend when the public's welfare is being jeopardized in the name of political correctness.

At the time the media reported his name they did not give his race that is why it was not given. You are correct though they are reporting he is in fact an African American and he might be wearing black pants with a Blue shirt not and Organge outfit since he was out on bail.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I understand. But his height and weight were described, yet they conveniently don't mention he is african American? And he is at large in metro Atlanta? Sorry, but that is just wrong.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karellen
I understand. But his height and weight were described, yet they conveniently don't mention he is african American? And he is at large in metro Atlanta? Sorry, but that is just wrong.

I understand your point, however; perhaps the reporter did not know and if that was the case the reporter acted as he/she should have.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
MSNBC is now reporting that the reporter that was pistol wipped by the suspect has been treated at Grady Hospital and is in good condition.

They are also reporting the Year of car may be a 1997 and not 1987 as reported earlier. The plate number given is still the same regardless what year it is.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Edit to remove double pic. Thanks to Banshee for putting it in the lead story.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Maybe they shouldn't let courthouse deputies carry guns. Sorry to be insensitive but there is NO way an officer should ever let his gun be taken especially in that situation where all the officer had to do is resist and help would have been there in an instant. I hate jumping to conclusions as I don't know all the details but man,...letting a con get your gun in a court room? This situation will become standard example training in every law enforcement manual from now on.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Anyone else notice that this is the same judge that ordered a woman to be sterilized last month?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Snipers on 285? Are you nuts? I guess I shouldn't assume people know how hard it is to hit a laterally moving target at speed, but lemme tell you, it's hard. Even if they deployed on an overpass well in advance of the car, it would be a toss up whether or not the guy was still travelling in the direction, whether you could pick him out (that's why he hijacked so many cars, to confuse identification), and in the end, even if you dropped a sniper 2 miles down the road and he had time to do his calculations and get set up with a decent kill window, what's to say that when you kill the guy (assuming you can) his car doesn't careen all over the highway and kill more people?

[edit on 11-3-2005 by WyrdeOne]

In light of this then let's say Apaches should be deployed, I believe Hellfire missiles are more apt to hit a moving target.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
Anyone else notice that this is the same judge that ordered a woman to be sterilized last month?

Why yes it would appear to be the same.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skibum

Originally posted by SourGrapes

Why yes it would appear to be the same.

Hmmm. The plot thickens. I wonder if the shooter and the eugenics case are related in any way?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join