It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Erin Go Bragh

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Hi ATS Friends!

Thought I'd post a quick little tribute to Ireland today on St. Patrick's Day. What is the land of the Celts without music and lyrics? I was reminded today by one of my travelling companions of a small bar in Belfast where everyone in the crowd was singing, smiling, and dancing and it put me to mind to celebrate. Please feel free to post your favorite Irish songs to celebrate with me! And if you're drinking, maybe you could raise a glass of Guiness or shot of Jameson

The lyrical Joyce:

“Every life is in many days, day after day. We walk through ourselves, meeting robbers, ghosts, giants, old men, young men, wives, widows, brothers-in-love, but always meeting ourselves.”
― James Joyce, Ulysses

“His heart danced upon her movements like a cork upon a tide. He heard what her eyes said to him from beneath their cowl and knew that in some dim past, whether in life or revery, he had heard their tale before.”
― James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

So what are your favorite Irish songs? Here are a few of mine:

Another James quote: did this inspire part of Van's song Madam George?

“Love loves to love love.”
― James Joyce, Ulysses

Here's probably my favorite Van Morrison song

And, just for fun, here's a link to an old thread I wrote about a creepy Irish castle.
Haunted Irish Castle Thread

Hope you are having a good night! This is certainly the strangest St. Patrick's week I've ever spent (for me, this day just starts off the best time of the year-- March Madness) but I am enjoying family time and connecting to friends on the phone etc.

edit on 18-3-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

One more

(coming lol)

edit on 17-3-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:51 PM
link   

My mom's grandparents left during the famine and came to the US... So the most sincere offering I have is some Irish American guys from my birthplace, Massachusetts.

Sláinte.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Fun!

That song definitely gets me hyped up.

Thanks for adding to the celebration.

Sláinte

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Top of the mornin' to ya Lass!

And Happy Saint Paddy's Day! Makes me think of my Dad, that's where I got my Irish from.

Ah, Leap Castle, awesome!!!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Play it. John Doyle is the best rhythm player!

ETA - It's been a long long time since I listened to Astral Weeks. Thanks for bringing that to my awareness again. It goes without saying that I love VM's voice, but what strikes me on this listen is the overall sound of the production...the way all the instruments are sort of "glued" together and the laid-back, let's-meet-at-my-place-and-make-a-record vibe...it's sweet earcandy.
edit on 3/18/2020 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
As a former member of the Irish Regiment of Canada a big Fior Go Bas to you all!

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

And the rest of the day to yourself, love!

Thanks for stopping in to celebrate! Ireland has a special place in my heart and family line too (on both my mom and dad's side, but my mom is almost all Irish with the red hair freckles and all lol). In my opinion, there's magic in that land (Iceland, redwood forest, large parts of New Mexico too, among many other places I haven't seen I'm sure.

Yes, isn't that castle amazing? I remember your love of old castles. I'll try to find a good one for another thread.

Have a great day, dear Night!

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

I absolutely loved that song, and even moreso watching them play. You are right that Doyle really is something! He is a joy to watch.

You might enjoy this review that Lester Bangs (wrote for Rolling Stone) wrote about Astral Weeks. Pretty fascinating stuff in there, including a rumor that Morrison was so hard to work with that he ended up recording his part alone, with the rest of the musicians dubbing over later.

- Larry Fallon's string section, Jay Berliner's guitar (he played on Mingus's Black Saint and the Sinner Lady), Connie Kay's drumming - is like that: they and Van sound like they're not just reading but dwelling inside of each other's minds. The facts may be far different. John Cale was making an album of his own in the adjacent studio at the time, and he has said that "Morrison couldn't work with anybody, so finally they just shut him in the studio by himself. He did all the songs with just an acoustic guitar, and later they overdubbed the rest of it around his tapes."

Of course, that is only a rumor. You're right the way the music flows together is really incredible. It just reminds me of a pristine spring somewhere (Irish Spring lol) the way it flows together so naturally and well.
personal.cis.strath.ac.uk...

Have a good one, my friend!

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: palg1

Why thank you, sir!! And the proper salute in return!
(I had to google your motto and found The Irish Regiment webpage. A splendid Regimental Badge (with the harp, perfect for the theme of this thread), and I'm sure the uniform is too!)
Thanks for stopping in.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

So what are your favorite Irish songs?

Not exactly Irish, but still...Irish.

*warning, language

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Lol, loved that!

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 06:10 PM