It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My wife went to get tested for CV19 - what happened

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I am a nurse who works in an outpatient pediatrics and adult primary care medicine facility. I can tell you this:
1. Testing is limited. Yes, we could've done more to prepare facilities for mass testing but these things do take time. We took the smart move of travel banning hotspots rather than making a mass amount of tests available for something no one could know would become a pandemic or not. South Korea having close proximity and much more travel with China did decide to make a butt load of tests available early on. We do have SOME tests available here, but the number of kits available and the ability to run them is limited here.

2. Testing doesn't change anything for your wife. Treatment for the 'common cold', corona virus, and influenza (outside of Tamiflu which is suspect at best) is all the same: manage high fever, support respiratory function. Testing helps with epidemiology understanding spread and rates of the disease, sure. For your wife? It doesn't change anything at all for her. They checked her lungs with an x-ray, fever was present but not at a point of alarm.

3. What do we have worry about for the individual? There's 2 things and they are common for all colds and flus. Manage fever. Support respiratory function. That's all they can do. If fever is present use antipyretic medications, meanting ibuprofen and acetaminophen. If ineffective, administer room temperature IV fluids. Her fever wasn't high and sustained enough to warrant fluid administration. For respiratory function they did a chest x-ray which was negative, pulse oximetry wasn't alarming. If it was, you can apply nebulized albuterol, pure O2, and in the extreme a ventilator. Obviously respiratory function was not alarming and these steps were not necessary.

I think so many people here are way too focused on testing. Testing literally changes NOTHING for treating the patient. I'm not saying it's useless, but keep in mind the official diagnosis of confirming "You have the wuhan originated corona virus" changes nothing in how we treat you. It helps control the spread as a whole, yes. But for your wife? Changes nothing. It's pointless and testing is limited. Simply logging her symptoms and vitals still helps with epidemiology.

My advice is to calm down. Monitor fever. Monitor pulse oximetry. As a nurse on the front lines, (in AL USA we had 8 test kits today to use and i tested 2 patients myself) I took home a nebulizer for my family. Married couple in our 30s, have a 3 and 5 year old boy. That nebulizer was the one thing I was lacking and having it gives me great peace. I already have bags of IV fluids I can give if fever is out of control. I have a pulse oximeter, but really that's not needed. You hear wheezing and SOB, give some nebulized albuterol. There should be an albuterol and nebulizer shortage if this was based on rational though, but instead it's toilet paper

Anyway, I wish your wife a speedy recover and godspeed to your family. I know things are freaking strange right now, I feel like the response to the pandemic will absolutely be worse for all of us than the pandemic itself. If you have underlying cardiac or pulmonary condition or are over the age of 65, self-quarantine. Get loved ones, friends, neighbors, govt help, whatever to keep it up. Have family drop off needed supplies. If you need refills on your meds call your doctor and get them to phone in a month supply if you're out of refills. Get someone to pick it up and drop it off if you don't use mail order for routine meds.

If you are sick, what you need to do it check your temperature. I have so many patients who don't simply use a thermometer to check for fever. If febrile (over 100, 99.x is not a fever gtfo) take antipyretics. Rotate ibuprofen and acetaminophen. If fever spikes above 104 and have been using antipyretics get treatment. For breathing, see if you can hold your breath for 10 secs. If you can, calm down, you're okay. If not, get treatment. IV fluids for high fever, nebublizers, oxygen and god forbid ventilators for respiratory function. Beyond that, medical treatment can't offer you anything more than rest, isolation and drink plenty of fluids. That's all we got.

People need to calm down, get smart, and stay home. This isn't the end-all-be-all epidemic it could be.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SirTater

Perhaps it isn’t. Again, I think we’ll be just fine. And thank you for the thoughtful reply.

That said, Italy seems to disagree with your assessment:

www.mirror.co.uk...

Also, based on your comments, this is all way overblown. I tend to largely agree, but could you offer some thoughts on why?

In regards to testing, you might be right medically but that’s missing the point - the lack of testing is wildly distorting the figures in regards to how bad this is. It also raises a lot of questions like why politicians and celebs can get tested at will but my wife who presents symptoms doesn’t. Why NOT test? At minimum, you get a cleaner read on the CV19 data - which is helpful for scaling and understanding the problem.

Being as this is a “conspiracy site” I’m a little leery that you joined today and this is your one and only post - no intro.. no offense intended but that raises a few questions for me.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 02:58 AM
link   
At the 1st symptom take 5 grams of Vit. C in a short period of time, use ascorbate to avoid the runs. And can we gat a stash of Vit.C intravenous type? 24 grams cured someone in China I heard. Does this type of C also come from China? a reply to: EnigmaChaser

edit on America/ChicagoamFri, 20 Mar 2020 02:59:13 -050031021302593America/Chicago by EarthShine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

So this is a new account because it's been to long for me to remember my log in, but I just read what your wife had happen and wanted to share something that happened to me. The saturday before last I came home from fishing and felt terrible, I could feel my blood pressure in my head and felt like I had a head cold and at times felt short of breath, I have equipment also and my O2 saturation was fine but pulse rate was 113. The following day I still felt terrible but went to work assuming I was having a panic attack which I get sometimes due to PTSD from working as a paramedic for 16 years, I quit last year due to anxiety. Anyways I'm at my new job and I feel terrible I'm having hot flashes and weird random chest pains which due to my experience as a medic I know are not cardiac in nature but are more like lung pain that comes and goes when I exhale, these pains are really minor and you could almost miss them, but I stuck it out at work and finished up the day, I get home and I sit on my bed and my pulse is racing and I decide to go to the ER. Upon arriving I have no fever but my blood pressure is 230 over 160, and they do a full cardiac work up, they find no blocks or issues with my heart, they give me an IV and meds to lower my blood pressure and give me a prescription for blood pressure meds. They did a chest x ray, blood test and tell me everything looks good. I noticed for the next few days I felt like I was on the verge of getting a cough and sore throat, almost like a bad allergy day, I never found a fever when checking but the first day I felt like I had one. But one thing I noticed was the slight chest pains I was having reminded me of the pluritic pain I experienced years ago when I had pnuemonia, just less severe. For the next few days afterwords the pains continued and I was exhausted, I could not sleep enough, but now the pains are gone and I feel a lot better. Through this whole ordeal it felt like my body was fighting something. It was just wierd how fast my symptoms developed and how fast they went away, I did not get tested for the virus and the county I live in is trying really hard to keep their confirmed cases down so it's difficult to get tested, just FYI I'm right outside of the SF bay area where there are a lot of confirmed cases. But it's a strange ordeal and I wonder if maybe I caught the virus and was lucky enough to not get major symptoms other then my blood pressure, one more thing to add, since then everyone in my house has come down with a cough and sore throat, no fevers so their doctors won't test them and they all seem to be recovering.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I wonder who's attention this thread got given the influx of “new posters” joining the discussion.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I've been an occasional lurker here for well over a decade but never felt compelled to post as I didn't have any real insight on anything. Damnit jim I'm a nurse not a ufologist!

The rich and famous being tested is pretty bs, but I think it could be justified that they travel internationally and contact more people than most. Also money helps.

As of why it's being so overblown I have three theories

1. Mass quarantine recommendation is purely to avoid a rush on hospitals

2. It's worse than we are being told

3. We're in the end game of globalist takeover

Hope my first theory is correct

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: WillR001

So this is a new account because it's been to long for me to remember my log in, but I just read what your wife had happen and wanted to share something that happened to me. The saturday before last I came home from fishing and felt terrible, I could feel my blood pressure in my head and felt like I had a head cold and at times felt short of breath, I have equipment also and my O2 saturation was fine but pulse rate was 113. The following day I still felt terrible but went to work assuming I was having a panic attack which I get sometimes due to PTSD from working as a paramedic for 16 years, I quit last year due to anxiety. Anyways I'm at my new job and I feel terrible I'm having hot flashes and weird random chest pains which due to my experience as a medic I know are not cardiac in nature but are more like lung pain that comes and goes when I exhale, these pains are really minor and you could almost miss them, but I stuck it out at work and finished up the day, I get home and I sit on my bed and my pulse is racing and I decide to go to the ER. Upon arriving I have no fever but my blood pressure is 230 over 160, and they do a full cardiac work up, they find no blocks or issues with my heart, they give me an IV and meds to lower my blood pressure and give me a prescription for blood pressure meds. They did a chest x ray, blood test and tell me everything looks good. I noticed for the next few days I felt like I was on the verge of getting a cough and sore throat, almost like a bad allergy day, I never found a fever when checking but the first day I felt like I had one. But one thing I noticed was the slight chest pains I was having reminded me of the pluritic pain I experienced years ago when I had pnuemonia, just less severe. For the next few days afterwords the pains continued and I was exhausted, I could not sleep enough, but now the pains are gone and I feel a lot better. Through this whole ordeal it felt like my body was fighting something. It was just wierd how fast my symptoms developed and how fast they went away, I did not get tested for the virus and the county I live in is trying really hard to keep their confirmed cases down so it's difficult to get tested, just FYI I'm right outside of the SF bay area where there are a lot of confirmed cases. But it's a strange ordeal and I wonder if maybe I caught the virus and was lucky enough to not get major symptoms other then my blood pressure, one more thing to add, since then everyone in my house has come down with a cough and sore throat, no fevers so their doctors won't test them and they all seem to be recovering.

I got basically the same thing you describe about 4 weeks ago. I felt extremely run down after work and my lungs hurt. I thought it was a weird cold because I've never been sick enough to have pain in my lungs. Within 14 hours of my symptoms everyone else in the house got the same thing. In the last week my lungs hurt but I don't have anything else. And my wife's lungs hurt, too. It's very weird and I suspect it may be corona just because of the lung pain. I've had many terrible colds but never weird ones that make my lungs noticeably hurt and it be very mild that lasts for four weeks. The kids seem fine but my wife and I are still affected by whatever weird # this is.
edit on fSaturdayAmerica/Chicago4401699 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: SirTater
I've been an occasional lurker here for well over a decade but never felt compelled to post as I didn't have any real insight on anything. Damnit jim I'm a nurse not a ufologist!

The rich and famous being tested is pretty bs, but I think it could be justified that they travel internationally and contact more people than most. Also money helps.

As of why it's being so overblown I have three theories

1. Mass quarantine recommendation is purely to avoid a rush on hospitals

2. It's worse than we are being told

3. We're in the end game of globalist takeover

Hope my first theory is correct

I mentioned this in another thread but it applies here too - I agree that a hospital bed shortage is a concern. Unlikely but a valid concern. Supporting data:

~7.4k people die in the US daily.
www.indexmundi.com...

And there’s been 275 deaths from CV19 in the US total and of the total active cases of CV19 globally ~5% are “serious or critical”:
www.worldometers.info...

~7mm people in the US are immunosuppressed
www.cnn.com...

If those folks all contracted the disease, and 5% of cases are severe or worse - that means 350k people would potentially need hospitalization.

There’s about 900k hospital beds - of all kinds for all people (think neonatal, burn units, cardiac units, etc.) with ~a 65k occupancy rate per the cdc:

www.cdc.gov...

That leaves 315k beds - of all types - available.

That leaves us short by 35k beds. Just for CV 19. And that’s only looking at cases where we know the person is immunocompromised. There’s likely many more cases where someone is immunocompromised but they don’t know it. Let’s assume there are 500k people - or about .14% of the population - don’t know they have a pre-existing condition. I bet that number is a little low but Even so - that’s another 25k people. Now we’re 60k hospital beds short.

You see where I’m going with this...

The world - not just the US - doesn’t have the capacity to treat these people and handle the normal flow of patients they would otherwise intake.

That’s the crisis that’s looking to be avoided.

Now, do I think there’s more to this we’re not being told? Oh yeah. No doubt in my mind based on my personal experience.

But the ability to treat all of these people is a real concern - regardless of other suspicions IMO.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I suspect the reasons you hear about celebs and politicians being tested are:
1. Money
2. They travel all over the place so can either contract or spread a disease
3. They create a free PR campaign to take the virus seriously
4. We can use them to understand the impacts of the disease on fit people (professional athletes) to ensure it only truly impact those with underlying conditions.
5. Preventing panic - if all of a sudden famous actors/athletes/models/media personalities started getting the disease and have complications it would cause problems.
6. Politicians being sick may leave those who think the government is here to take care of them won’t function - also causing panic.

Now, one thing about the politician side is that I’m of the mind they work for me. My tax dollars pay their rent and they’re highly, highly replaceable. They should get in line like everyone else. Instead? The politicians want to test other politicians... FUBAR.

There are probably more obvious reasons why “famous” people are tested but there’s at least some rational points for why.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: AIC4ME

originally posted by: WhiteHat

WTF is going on?

It's almost as if they don't want everyone tested because the mortality rate would drop and they wouldn't be able to cause this mass panic with the media. Heaven forbid there is toilet paper on the shelves

Maybe. There's definitely not enough test kits. So only the high risk or very sick are getting tested. This is good news. It means it is less deadly than is being reported. When all is said and done I predict a mortality rate of less than 1% of infected and those disproportionately elderly and with underlying health problems.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

As quickly as we are being told this disease spreads, I think if the real numbers were in the mortality rate would look similar to the common flu.

We can’t have everyone believing this isn’t serious when we want to quarantine the world.

Maybe I will prove to be wrong. But I am on the something smells fishy boat with you.

What if there is a secondary causality beyond mortality that they do not wish to have circulated as widely yet still contain the outbreak...

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   
i heard that also about the blood type. Attached a report from china In those with the virus, type A was 38 percent, type B was 26 percent, type AB was 10 percent, and type O was 25 percent.

The researchers concluded that “blood group A had a significantly higher risk for COVID-19 compared with non-A blood groups. Whereas blood group O had a significantly lower risk for the infectious disease compared with non-A blood groups.”

posted on Mar, 28 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Closing the loop here.

Now 14 days later my wife is feeling better. She’s been at home more/less that entire time and gotten a fair bit of rest but with little kids the rest comes in chunks.

All symptoms are gone with the exception of a lingering cough and she still tires out faster than normal.

This was a solid 2+ week ordeal. But I can report it does pass.

To date, no Illness to report for me or the children - we all had some bugs there earlier in the year and it appears the Mrs. was the last to enjoy the fun - but it hit her way way harder than it did the rest of us - whatever it was.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join