It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Governor Newsom: 'I don't think the schools are going to open again'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   
My alma mater university in Florida has already cancelled Spring graduation. Sad for these kids really. I know this is minor in the big scheme of things but still a bit sad.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

We are looking at that. The school will have its online curriculum up soon and we will have to supplement it as best we can. Ugggg the pain of teaching a "my parents are stupid I know everything" 17 year old LOL

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Posting this related but slightly off topic thought here, before commenting further, simply for the potential street cred if I'm correct...

Wouldn't shock me at all if in the coming days or weeks we wake to the top news story being that a community gets a flare-up of new Covid-19 cases because multiple kids carry it home from an impromptu, underground daycare.

That, FTR is not a shot - at all - at anyone who might wind up using or even providing such a service. More a comment on a system that would enable the creation of a need / demand for such.

As for the kids missing school for the remainder of the year and the impact that will have? I'd personally like to think that once the danger passes to a reasonable degree that some sort of condensed curriculum might be offered to allow students to avoid repeating a grade.

However I don't have much faith in the system and it's ability to think beyond the next election or to do anything that doesn't benefit the donors.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I think the day care scenario is legit IMHO. Most families can only survive as dual income entities and depend on school to be able to watch the kids to put food on the table. Id say its the vast majority IMHO.

I can see people in these times putting together an ad hoc COOP day care to help get through this

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Of course, it may also cause a spike in homeschooling too. People who were on the fence about it before, not sure if they could may discover that they actually can and decide not to go back.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
add to that the horrors of the Spring Break crowd returning from various sandy beach destinations, to deliver the final blow to the currently self distancing for the country greater goal of ending the spread of this global virus...

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Wouldn't shock me at all if in the coming days or weeks we wake to the top news story being that a community gets a flare-up of new Covid-19 cases because multiple kids carry it home from an impromptu, underground daycare.

Already happening where I live. Not really underground. Some parent are nurse/police/emt/ etc pairs.
It is quite common actually. If they have little kids, what is to be done?

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Not sure how much Spring Breaking will be going on with bars closing all over.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
at the of harry potter, everyone got an A.

i assume thats what they will do in such a pro-gressive state.

just give everyone an A for participation.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Already happening where I live. Not really underground. Some parent are nurse/police/emt/ etc pairs.

People here don't seem to be too worried about socializing. Plenty of kids seem to be running around the parks.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   
From what I see in California:
(Caveat My eldest child is in Kindergarten, and I work at a University; Some immediate family works in the K-12 system my eldest attends).

At the University level all things point to purely Online instruction for the rest of the school year. Which is difficult for my vocation (arts, specific performing arts).

The K-12 system I have not heard anything definitive, but it would not surprise me if they choose to go to an online interaction only, just for the safety net aspect.

My co-workers and I brainstormed how to make the alternative classroom work today, and then we got the news our counties are now on lock down directives.

It's very interesting for me intellectually. We who can solve the technical problems being brought up by our professors can no longer be on site to institute the technical solutions.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
And no, the professors we work with do not have the electronic technologies knowledge to solve this without us.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

"Gap year". But, what does that mean? What about the kids who barely started 2nd semester? Will they have to wait to start fall semester? Summer school? What about HS Seniors? Those students that were accepted into various colleges, based on their COMPLETED Senior year of Highschool?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: JAGStorm

People here don't seem to be too worried about socializing. Plenty of kids seem to be running around the parks.

We're arranging for him to play with other kids in the neighborhood so long as all parents agree and everyone is presumably healthy.

Our son is pretty sensitive to what's going on around him, and he already knows things aren't normal and are sort of scary. We have sat him down and talked to him and reassured him over and over that things will work out OK, but he's been upset because nothing in his life has been solid.

So letting him play with other kids affords some normalcy. It's for the same reason that so long as his martial arts school stays open, we're taking him to practice. You should have heard the relief in his voice when he got back last night, and I asked him if it felt good to be at practice, and he said, "YES!"

This is hard on kids to have everything suddenly uprooted, and so long as you're not taking them to see anyone at risk and you trust the other adults in the room to do the same, then they need some normalcy in their lives.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: SourGrapes

But don't you see? It's about leveling the playing field if everyone ends up failing to be the same. It's "fair" ... whatever that means.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   

My local schools shut down Friday and closed this week. Next week is Spring Break. Something tells me they won't be reopening.

It has thrown a serious monkey wrench in everything. The schools literally expect two working parents to home school. Practically impossible. Not too mention how parents are going to find any kind of day care.

The domino effect of this shut down is going to put us in a depression.

The sad thing is I stand by my prediction that looking back on it we will see that it was mass hysteria. Trillions in value lost over the flu.

Firstly 1 to 2 hours of home schooling per day would teach a kid far more that they would ever learn at school and secondly you still think this is just the flu...

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

My local schools shut down Friday and closed this week. Next week is Spring Break. Something tells me they won't be reopening.

It has thrown a serious monkey wrench in everything. The schools literally expect two working parents to home school. Practically impossible. Not too mention how parents are going to find any kind of day care.

The domino effect of this shut down is going to put us in a depression.

The sad thing is I stand by my prediction that looking back on it we will see that it was mass hysteria. Trillions in value lost over the flu.

Firstly 1 to 2 hours of home schooling per day would teach a kid far more that they would ever learn at school and secondly you still think this is just the flu...

Oh, you should have seen the side-eye I got when we told ours that I was going to be his teacher for the coming two weeks ...

I don't think he believes I've had classroom experience and experience working with kids with learning disabilities.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You can expect a reasonable amount of eye rolls I would imagine.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

When this is all over our country needs to have a real talk about wages.

If the wages were better and you didn't need both parents to work just to make it then this wouldn't be as big a deal.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Shhh.... listen... anyone else hear it?
It sounds like a million kids across the nation...singing...
"School's out FOREVER!!!!"

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

So, we need to have a talk about how we shouldnt have women in the workforce is basically what you are saying..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join