It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Else Confronting The "Giving Up Smoking" Scenario?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Erm...

Having lived in Austin...

How does that work if the bars are closed?

I mean like... in reality?

I need to find some live cams of Austin so I can watch the zombie apocalypse in realtime.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You and I need to collaborate on a cancer thread someday.

Another huge part of the nutrition downgrade was the introduction of man-made soil improvements and the move away from crop rotation in the 30's.

Insecticides did not help...

DDT at one time was a wonder drug.

They put it on everything.

When kids had head lice the school nurse just used to pour some on the child's head and rubbed it in.

Up till the 1950's it was quite acceptable to go to the local ag extension and get powdered lead to spray on your tomatoes and lettuce.

I'm going to HAVE to stop because I am really derailing this thread and I wish the OP the best of luck beating the habit!!!!

But we should make a cancer thread someday RM.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I quit November before last, had smoked, dipped or chewed tobacco since I was 14, 40 years plus. LOL I still dream about taking a drag off a cigarette or packing a dip occasionally. I wound up getting loads of celery sticks and carrots for that oral fixation, and since I'm a hot pepper nut would usually eat a serrano or habanero to kick in some endorphins Vaped for a little bit the tired of that and it took about 2-3 weeks cold turkey, so glad I did its worth it food tastes better, saving some bucks.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Doubt the stores will stop stocking the shelves.

Pointless if people cannot get there and the stores here are closed until further notice.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: Cigarettes
a reply to: nerbot

Just saying, "Hi."

2016 account with 49 comments drops in just for a dope ass reference.

What a glorious time to be alive.

It was a glorious post though.

Like Satan has multiple ATS accounts for certain occasions...

That Satan, he is patient huh? Lol

I went out and bought a roll of Copenhagen to make sure I survive the first wave of the apocalypse.
Screw toilet paper and bread, I got snuff and wine.
Hail the Apocalypse!!!

(Look up “Hail the Apocalypse” by the band Avatar to know just how I scream that phrase)

Copenhagen was my go-to since about 15 or 16 years old, nothing gave me the nicotine rush that cranking a dip did, they still send me emails...

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

My dad's brain cancer probably was a result of spraying the perfectly safe DDT on the fields. I used to go onto the tractor with him back in the sixties with my bandana wrapped around my mouth. I wound up with big lymph nodes in my lungs, the doctor told me it could be related to that or exposure to so much dust over years of doing carpentry work and insulating.

I know the smell of organophosphates well, Roundup has a similar smell. Roundup is organophosphate tied to glycine, it can replace the glycine in our collagen and lead to all sorts of problems. Including but not limited to cancers. But since all organophospates have that possibility, they cannot pick so muchon glyphosate.

Overfarming of land causes a burn out of certain minerals, many of those minerals are needed by our body to run properly, that can cause many metabolic problems. I take a multimineral tablet every day and it makes a big improvement in my energy and ability to think correctly. I tried stopping for a while and I dumbed right down and lost interest in learning things. So I started back up, I spent too many years with brainfog.

We should run a series of threads with information we have to share and debate between our members, I can learn from everyone, I actually know the real reasons some things are healthy that fad nutrition people say are bad for us.

By the way, glyphosate is used to dessicate most tobaccos, The organic tobaccos have way less on them, but the overspray often does reach the organic fields.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Has stopping smoking made people more healthy, not a chance in hell, diabetes used to be rare, now it is common.

This seems like a false cause to me. Are you saying that smoking prevents diabetes? I think diabetes can more likely be attributed to dietary changes.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

originally posted by: rickymouse
Has stopping smoking made people more healthy, not a chance in hell, diabetes used to be rare, now it is common.

This seems like a false cause to me. Are you saying that smoking prevents diabetes? I think diabetes can more likely be attributed to dietary changes.

I know a lot of people who quit smoking and gained weight over a few years or so. They kept gaining weight and eventually their weight caused them to have sugar problems. Others who did not quit stayed slimmer and if they ate a decent diet they had no issues with metabolic problems. Often people who smoke do not eat good foods though, that is a different issue, people who drink smoke often, nicotine is an antidote for alcohol and coffee. I cut my smoking in half when I quit having a couple of beers a night, and I cut down my coffee and reduced my desire for cigarettes down again. If I quit coffee, I would probably just quit cigarettes, I would have no need for them. I do not have a cigarette till after my first cup of coffee.

Nitrous oxide will make a drunk doctor sober, it worked well when the doctor removed my tonsils. Tobacco smoke contains nitrous oxide along with the nicotine, both help to reduce alcohol toxcity and symptoms. Cigarettes also reduce the breathylizer alcohol levels by forming ammonia from the alcohol. Our state had alterior motives in making it so people couldn't smoke in the bars, it made them soberer, less drunk driving ticket income.

I know a real lot about organic chemistry. Most bar food has nicotinic acid in it, hot pickles eggs and sausages and nuts. This works to reduce drunkenness too. Think about that.........Don't forget the spicy hot potatoe chips and taco bar on tuesday.
edit on 17-3-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Just saying, "Hi."

I went out and bought a roll of Copenhagen to make sure I survive the first wave of the apocalypse.

Hail the Apocalypse!!!

(Look up “Hail the Apocalypse” by the band Avatar to know just how I scream that phrase)

I had my first cigarette at 6 if we're bragging lol. Jk. I know it's not a bragging contest, but I started smoking at around 10. When I was getting out of the Navy the docs all yhought I was lying when I told them I'd been smoking close to 20 years. I asked them why, and they said my lungs were healthier than most they see getting out.

So, I chalked it up to genetics, because before I joined I was a two-pack-a-day kinda guy for years, but had to quit cold turkey when I went to boot camp.

I made it about a month before I started smoking again. Albeit I was down to a pack a day. I dabbled in quitting a few times while in, because it was really easy to stay busy that I could find work to do instead of smoke.

When I got out, and the doctors told me that my lungs were still really healthy, I decided to seriously contemplate quitting.

It was really hard to do at first, but then I would just repeat in my mind that it was a nasty habit, and I would smell the smoke on my clothes, and think to myself that I can't believe I walk around smelling like this all day.

It got to the point that I would light one up, and then just feel super disgusted with myself, and end up tossing the whole pack away.

That, and I lie to myself and tell myself I'm poor and can't afford cigarettes. I've been cig free going on two years now. So, it must be working.

Now, dipping and chewing. That's a struggle. I love the way it tastes. I can work while dipping, I can relax while dipping. I basically do everything while dipping. Hell, if you see me chances are I have a dip in. It's almost 24/7. I've fallen asleep with a lip in, and let me tell ya for those who are unaquainted. Waking up with a dry mouth and dip all separated in your mouth is a rude awakening quite literally.

I scored two boxes full of Copenhagen Wintergreen a few weeks ago basically for free, because it was "expired" that should last me a while.

If I'm worried about anyone robbing me during this whole event it's probably that lol. I don't really have much of value other than my own life. They can steal my bicycle or car for all I care. Anything else I own is usually in my pocket or in my backpack.
edit on 1732020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The day that the Government makes it illegal for me to walk a third of a mile, which is a couple thousand feet, to 7-11 is the day that I'll have to quit. And, when they make 7-11 close too. Which would mean.. no gas station for cars to travel because it has pumps. Which would mean.. I don't foresee it happening.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Erm...

Having lived in Austin...

How does that work if the bars are closed?

I mean like... in reality?

I need to find some live cams of Austin so I can watch the zombie apocalypse in realtime.

Right?!

That's my main concern. I can't imagine how this is going to work. They're already losing millions from shutting down SX. No bars allowed for the next 6 weeks? It's going to get crazy.

Oh yeah - Downtown is a ghost town.

!!!!!HOUSE-PARTY!!!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Doubt the stores will stop stocking the shelves.

Pointless if people cannot get there and the stores here are closed until further notice.

As of right now - Grocery stores and pharmacies are the only places not restricted. Bars are shut 100%. Any place that serves food can be open but only for delivery or curbside pickup. No dine ins.

Though, many places are just shutting down and playing their employees to stay home.

But 6 weeks....? It'll be interesting to be sure. We're still waiting to see if anything happens here at the office. Guessing by Friday I'll be working from home.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Copenhagen was my go-to since about 15 or 16 years old, nothing gave me the nicotine rush that cranking a dip did, they still send me emails...

When I was on a drilling rig in open hole conditions when I couldn't smoke, I would dip.

You're right... Instant sooth. You can literally feel it washing over your body like a wave.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
(Add some inappropriate words as appropriate)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Challenge Accepted!

No wait... It's a Marlboro

if it were a Camel.... I'd walk a mile

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

Just saying, "Hi."

Hail the Apocalypse!!!

I had my first cigarette at 6 if we're bragging lol. Jk. I know it's not a bragging contest, but I started smoking at around 10. When I was getting out of the Navy the docs all yhought I was lying when I told them I'd been smoking close to 20 years. I asked them why, and they said my lungs were healthier than most they see getting out.

So, I chalked it up to genetics, because before I joined I was a two-pack-a-day kinda guy for years, but had to quit cold turkey when I went to boot camp.

I made it about a month before I started smoking again. Albeit I was down to a pack a day. I dabbled in quitting a few times while in, because it was really easy to stay busy that I could find work to do instead of smoke.

When I got out, and the doctors told me that my lungs were still really healthy, I decided to seriously contemplate quitting.

It was really hard to do at first, but then I would just repeat in my mind that it was a nasty habit, and I would smell the smoke on my clothes, and think to myself that I can't believe I walk around smelling like this all day.

It got to the point that I would light one up, and then just feel super disgusted with myself, and end up tossing the whole pack away.

That, and I lie to myself and tell myself I'm poor and can't afford cigarettes. I've been cig free going on two years now. So, it must be working.

Now, dipping and chewing. That's a struggle. I love the way it tastes. I can work while dipping, I can relax while dipping. I basically do everything while dipping. Hell, if you see me chances are I have a dip in. It's almost 24/7. I've fallen asleep with a lip in, and let me tell ya for those who are unaquainted. Waking up with a dry mouth and dip all separated in your mouth is a rude awakening quite literally.

I scored two boxes full of Copenhagen Wintergreen a few weeks ago basically for free, because it was "expired" that should last me a while.

If I'm worried about anyone robbing me during this whole event it's probably that lol. I don't really have much of value other than my own life. They can steal my bicycle or car for all I care. Anything else I own is usually in my pocket or in my backpack.

I only smoked in places where I couldn't dip, as dipping was my preference 24/7. Used to fall asleep dipping all the time and had too many times where it would be gagging me. Seriously I occasionally still dream about taking a dip, I pack can grab a pinch and can even taste it in my dreams then I wake up disappointed when its's not there

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   

A couple weeks you won’t care if it is a Doral or More.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

This is true and likely to smoke more.

When I was younger, I hated bumbing off my mom. She smoked generic menthols and I could smoke that pack in less than a day.

Hmmm Might explain why I smoked so much when I was a young adult. Ever since I could afford cigarettes, it's been Camel. Lights now... Oh wait.. Blues because calling them lights is illegal now.. lol

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The real secret is that the Covid is probably all my fault. I haven’t had a cigarette since February 8 and the withdraw symptoms were psychically projected upon the world with such fervor that there were physical complications that resulted in critical illnesses and deaths.

Saturday will be the real test as I run out of patches and only have nicotine candy willpower. Still wanted to smoke the whole time, but for the feel and taste not the nicotine itself. Saturday will be the test. April 15-ish is hen the candy runs out.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

This conspiracy can be way up there with the best of them... In most countries governments are working an agressive campaign to make people stop smoking. From rediculous taxes to freighten and discouraging people with disturbing photopraphs of illnesses on the packaging of tabacco and sigarettes.

To be honest, ...it will not surprise me if somewhere in the future it will become general knowledge that smoking tabacco and its ingredients can be benificial for your health.

As a matter of fact.. today I heared somebody say that nicotine is a virus killer.. There you go... (and I don't know).

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join