It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid-19 Community Support and Mental Wellness Thread

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   
HI and thanks for this thread. It gives me a place to unload.

I'm terrified. I'm a 60 year old woman who lives alone with 2 cats. My husband died of cancer many years ago. A month ago I started a new job. My dream job working from home. I live a pretty mellow and solitary life but also have friends and family that I see. When I want to I get out, when I want to stay home and do my thing, I do. But then, it was all a choice.

When this started to hit in the US I was thankful that I work from home and could for the most part, stay in and self-quarantine as much as possible. I have always have a few months supply of food, water, and cat food on hand for emergencies. I did buy some extra supplies when I started to see this coming.

Suddenly today the reality hit me. I spent so much money over the years on other people. Donating to charities, giving to animal rescues, helping out elderly relatives. I saved very little for myself and my 401K is going down the tubes. I have a good job now and make a decent living but I'm terrified it won't last much longer. I work in Software consulting. If my customers fail or close I'll have no work. I'll be let go at some point especially since I was so recently hired. And I'll be completely alone.

The elderly relatives I've been taking care of will not be able to help me. The brother with little money that I helped out so much in the past will not help me. The animal rescues I've given so much to will not help me. My friends and other family members will be helping their own families cope. I feel like all those years of working hard, living and good and moral life and giving and giving will blow up in my face and I'll lose everything. It may not happen but I don't see a path where this will end well for me.

They are releasing prisoners all over the place. I can't defend myself from the crazies. I don't have gun. Thought about it a few times but I never did it. I went to Walmart last week and bought a baseball bat. It won't help, but its something. I don't want to take the time off from an uncertain job to go stand in line at a gun store. All I can do is be smart, be diligent, stay in and hope for the best. It seems like my solitary life which was mellow, refreshing and content has in a short period of time been turned into probably my worst nightmare for an uncertain future. I have this giant knot in my stomach and I've been shaking all day. I've never been one to have and kind of anxiety issues or anything really but this is having an affect on me like nothing ever has.

I wish the best for you all. Just having this thread to express myself to total strangers has helped.
Thanks

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   
A bit of a late night ramble...

I'm 53 years old. I spent my childhood in a world where every so often an alarm would sound, in school, and we'd all pile under our desks and duck and cover.

Younger folks might read that and think "Oh, an earthquake drill!"

No. They were nuclear war drills.

My generation was nursed on an absolute fear of total thermonuclear destruction. We were bathed in it and told that it was not a matter of if but a matter of when.

Then, one day, a former actor went on TV and said "Mr Gorbachev, tear down that wall" and it happened. Decades of nuclear paranoia just evaporated and people my age, and those from the previous generation, were all left with this anti-climactic void where our fear used to reside.

While I tend to be on ATS just about every single day, for awhile I'd stopped reading threads in most forums. Truth is there's only so many times you can have the same debate before you lose interest in having it yet again. However in the past week or two I've been reading just about every thread I can find time to read... And the chaos and myriad of conflicting views reminds me of what it was like, in a way, when the Berlin wall fell and suddenly the Soviet bogeyman was no longer there. There's a strange comfort in stability - even if that stability comes in the form of feeling like the world might end any second. We got used to that and when the fear left us - we didn't quite know how to process it or what to feel.

It took awhile until 9/11 happened and that space had something that fit into it.

Now we have this.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Mover

My husband and I are over 60. Both of my maternal grandparents died in the Spanish Flu pandemic, two weeks apart. This week, I gave a housekey and security code to three different people in the event of extended hospitalizations or our deaths so that maybe the cats would not die along with us. It is indeed stressful.

What we have done counts no matter how the future goes. What you did counts. You did *good* to help others.

For protection, another good possibility for defense is pepper- or bearspray, or anything exceptionally nasty that you wouldn't want in your face. There would probably be something acceptable online or in a hardware store. Set up stuff to make noise around windows and doors. Be mentally prepared to take them out immediately after a faceful of whatever.

I'm not sure you could get a gun now if you tried. Two of our friends reported stores that were cleaned out. Another store sent an email to all customers telling them not to come as there was a four-hour wait to get into the store.

edit on 19-3-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Interesting train of thought.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hello. Thank you for providing this space. It's important for people to have a sounding board during times like this to be sure. I don't think I have much to say here other than a bunch of crazy rambling but here goes.

How safe and secure can anyone really be when everything crumbles? Sooner or later it becomes each man/woman to him/herself. As much as I don't want to think that way, those thought creep into my mind often. I'd like to think I'd be the exception, I'd like to think that many people in my life would be that exception.

But all I see right now are people going out and living their lives, selfishly hoarding. Our state officials are urging us to stay in but without being told to shelter in place that'll never happen. Stubborn, entitled Americans and I put myself in that group as well.

I feel like I've been mentally preparing for things like this my entire life, I don't know why but I've always been a worst case scenario person. I'm the person who looks for the emergency exits, I'm the person who counts the number of seats between my seat and the emergency exit door on the plane. I'm the person who knows what to do if my car should be submerged in water, I know I'm not a minority here but I'm always waiting for that global disaster hoping it never comes but almost eagerly waiting for it. I don't want loss of life but I guess I appreciate the message it sends if that makes any sense.

No, I don't think this is a world ending event but I do think, or at least I hope, the majority can learn a lesson here. I hardly talk current events and I never talk about the environment and I barely speak about religion simply because it's always met with sarcasm but my gut says all of this is a wake up call maybe? My hope is that people can see that the earth is trying to tell us something, that nature can knock us off of our pedestals, maybe God is sending a small message? A warning shot? I don't know and I'm not doing a very good job of explaining it. I read about the waters in Venice, how they became clear and how fish and even dolphins came back. If that's not a message I don't know what is!

I have always wished that people appreciated our world and our lives a little more, maybe now they will. That's my hope. My fear is that life will never be the same. People are scared, angry, bitter on one side and on the other side they are in denial. When this is all over life is going to be very different and I don't want to be that person who acted like an ass during the crisis.

Part of me wants to thank you for giving us a non-judgemental sounding board. The other part of me wants to say "suck it up"!

After 9/11 there was a great community feel. Everything and everyone slowed down and started paying attention, started caring for each other. Words were kinder, actions were more gentle, people were more patient, it was good. The whole time I kept saying "this will wear off and in several years we'll be right back where we started, selfish and blind to everything except for our own agenda.

Why does it always take a disaster to open peoples eyes?

Last, and I never speak about this. When I was a child maybe about 5 years old I was on a road trip with my parents. While sitting at a toll booth a homeless came rushing up to the car, he peered into the window of the back seat where I was sitting and he literally lost his mind. He started yelling; "this is a child of God, this child is special and knows things, this child is here for a reason" my parents, being parents, closed the windows and locked the doors, they thought he was a crazy person. Some years later while visiting my aunt who was dying from cancer she told me that I was a child of God and that I was here for a reason". I've never forgotten those words and I guess I've lived my life waiting for that reason to come to light. It still hasn't, but I am still looking. I'll never stop looking.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: drussell41

Thank you for the suggestions!

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I went out and filled up my gas tank this morning at $1.89 a gallon. I have an order from Cheaper than Dirt that still has not shipped. Not sure what is going on with that.

I also went and got 4 bottles of Mucinex. Not sure how much that will help the family but I feel by the time we get it, there will be no help and this is the strongest stuff I could find OTC. I did buy a bottle of Tylenol with codeine from Canada a couple of weeks ago. I have enough food for my kids and ex-wife for about 2 months if we ration.

Worst case, I am 51 but I am not really worried about myself. My misery index comes when my family gets sick. My biggest fear is being the last one standing. I would rather die than be a sole survivor.

Anyway, good luck all!

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I’m still working, and while I’m there I use humor to help people through.

I have to say though, when I see little kids, my heart hurts for them with worry over what will their future be like if they lose parents?

I really wish people would be more protective of each other (Florida beaches REALLY)?

My prayer lists are very long now (haven’t forgotten anyone Nicole for example).

I think quarantine should start soon; people are not taking this serious enough sadly.

I’m crying right now just thinking about all this, this is the first time, as I’m alone at the moment and don’t have to put on my brave humorous face.

I’m hoping the world can be thoughtful, kind, and comforting for each other.

With Love, C

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

You and me both on the prayers. I am praying very, very hard at night before bed. I always do and always have, but now I'm praying like nobody's business for God to let this thing touch us lightly if it must touch us at all, and by "us" ... well, let's just say my "family" has gotten very large to include everyone that touches our lives in some way and is important, everyone who touches their lives in some way and is important, everyone who touches *their* lives in some way and is important ... and so on and so forth ...

Eventually, that may very well mean I'm praying for the whole world, but I'm OK with that. Someone needs to.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mover

Thank you for the suggestions!

You're welcome.

Practice your spray against a tree somewhere at least a couple times. Stay far enough back to avoid it coming back on you. Some sprays go amazingly far.

You don't want to end up hurting yourself. Better to walk it in to find out the correct distance than start too close.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
dupe

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   

greetings my real name is John, i too am a mental patient.

Diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder, PTSD, manic depression, severe anxiety...

Here's the thing, making other people laugh will make you feel better, for instance an hour ago i felt like getting a bottle of coke, but everything was shut but the gaming room at the local tavern was open and i asked the bartender, "can i get a bottle of coronavirus-no i meant coke!" everybody in the room laughed.

as the R.E.M song goes 'it's the end of the world as we know it, and i feel coronavirus' okay i'll try again, as Survivor once sung 'it's the eye of the tiger it's the thrill of the coronavirus' dammit third times a charm 'smoke on the coronavirus'-okay i give up.

my point is that laughter is the coronavirus-DAMMIT BRAIN I'M TAKING A POWER DRILL TO YOU!!!

my point is this is time to put smiles back on peoples faces, in times on crisis everybody can help.

edit on 19-3-2020 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I don't really have any work to do right now. I have been digesting CCDC guidelines and the Imperial report and journaling. My normal gig is science/tech writing and I usually have 4-6 weeks to fully research and digest the material before I even start writing about it. The last medicine-related thing I did was more disaster recovery and PR than science.

I have my dogs. I have my guitar. I have my video games. The power has been bouncing all day here in my neck of Denver and that isn't helping.

My GF has real work to do and needs to focus on the here and now, day by day. I am trying to NOT make her job harder. I need ATS right now and I don't really want to fight with anyone.

I have my meds but I don't take anything for "anxiety" beyond hydroxyzine and that isn't helping much. I am grateful for you guys. My normal problems with ideation and deep depression are not serving me at all as the ghost of normal fades.

I hope I don't fn sink. I've got people who need me strong.
edit on 19-3-2020 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

You are God's own medicine. Thank you!

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

You know ... I was going to say, "Hey, get outside ..." But then I recalled you're in Denver, and you are probably getting bouncing power because of that nasty winter storm.

Today, we all three went outside and planted a cabbage. My son brought it home from school last week. He has named it "Gerold". Don't ask me why. He just has. Getting outside is good. It's a reminder that things are still going on and living and being normal around all this.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BoxerBrawler

Nice post!
The events of 9/11 are still so clear to me, but what is even clearer now is what came next. As you said. Even in separation I have seen a good side of humanity come out these past days. Neighbors helping neighbors, even online facebook communities where people that are in desperate need of supplies ask, and others jump their rescue to fill those needs. Like many, I don't know why it always takes a tragedy for people to be that way but the best and worst of people always 'shine' when it does. I guess its good be prepared with both compassion and safety at a time like this.

I guess after today's news conference and some things I've heard, I think there's alot of reason to be optimistic. I'm not worried about getting sick, I'm more worried about people in general. I'm one of those people that's convinced I've already had it back in January when I tested neg for the flue but had some unknown virus (as my doctor put it). It was nasty but I survived.

Anyway, I'm appreciating the posts here. No craziness, just a bunch of humans sharing.

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If it was just snow, that would be great advice (and much appreciated!) but it's sleeting at the moment and that is far less appealing!

Your son sounds awesome. Gerold is definitely a great name for the cabbage!

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

So I'm in New York State and I found out that I can't buy mace or any kind of pepper sprays here. Law enforcement only. So that sucked. I did go to Walmart a bit ago and was able to buy a scary looking pellet gun. It won't do much but it can do damage and just the appearance can probably deter someone. My cousin is taking me out this weekend for some practice. This is good. Just posting here got me motivated enough to actually figure something out that helped me feel more secure instead of just worrying about what happens next. Time to be proactive. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: ketsuko

If it was just snow, that would be great advice (and much appreciated!) but it's sleeting at the moment and that is far less appealing!

Your son sounds awesome. Gerold is definitely a great name for the cabbage!

It's possible to get outside in sleet.

When we were in college and first going out, my husband and I established a weekly thing where we would walk down to Aggieville for lunch once a week. Since we lived all the way on one end of campus away from Aggieville, it wasn't a short hike either.

Well, one week there was a tremendous ice/sleet storm going on. Unwilling to postpone our weekly jaunt. We walked all the way through it. We got about 2/3 of the way down and were walking past the president's house when an entire tree came crashing down right about where we were walking. We watched it ... and kept going.

Not that I recommend it, you understand, just noting it *is* technically possible.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
So in Iran, someone dies every 10 minutes. That is some scary stuff. What makes them so much different. Is there that much of a gap in living standards between the west and east?
news.trust.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join