It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid-19 Community Support and Mental Wellness Thread

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Ugh ... so that was the first full day of quarantine with everything under our belts.

Discovered that son is a champion squirrel when it comes to schooling at home. We warned him that we were back into regular routine which we did, but he apparently thought we weren't serious about his schoolwork coming home and him having to do it. What started as about two or three hours tops turned into a five or six hour marathon because he just kept distracting himself with things.

I was about ready to hang him by the end. I hadn't gotten anything done and neither had my husband because we were busy riding herd on him. I average proofing 70 or 80 jobs in my four hour shift and I might have gotten through 20.

We had to have a serious talk about how just because he's at home doesn't mean he can procrastinate his way out of school.

And seriously, we did all the things we were supposed to get him going. He just didn't listen and still thought he'd duck out of it. He never takes it seriously until he gets in trouble for it.

did I mention that it's going to be a looooong week? lol Possibly more.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

What a kind hearted man you are dear Heff. Thank you for this thread!

I have been nervous about this virus as my Husband is on dialysis and has other serious health issues. He has been through hell and back with health problems through the years. I'm also a high risk as well as many of my family members and friends.

We are all in this together with our anxiety, fear and depression. I try to watch movies and listen to music and keep in close contact with everyone by phone or facebook etc.

To those who have lost jobs or are going through a very bad time, my heart is with you.

edit on 24-3-2020 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Hi guys.
How are you doing?
I've been on lockdown for a week, working from home. I live alone in a appartment (my cat gave me a nasty look at that one, I'm not alone - I have a cat). _Obviously I'm imagining conversations with my cat, which is a sign that my state is degrading...

The only times I have stepped out were to go to the grocery store twice - just found out it closed though. All this time I've been joking about this, not thinking it will be less serious than some say, but this morning I had that sense that "this sh-t just got real!"

It's ironic - after two decades of being a prepper in a isolated home in the country with everything needed to survive, as soon as I drop that and live in an appartment in the middle of a city, NOW the # hits the fan!

I have had a LOT of work, which might have kept me sane. We have had to switch all our systems to a new one to adapt to the situation, and I'm doing the work of several people. So 12 hour days has kept my mind distracted. But now that system is up and not running... so more problems mean more 12 hour work days... and though muscling through a tough transition is fine with me, I'm feeling my energy drained.

When I'm tired, my emotional stability is harder to hold up. I've been muscling through a difficult personal transition too, and I'm afraid that is going to fall apart.
I won't buy any alcohol because frankly, I'm afraid I'd abuse it. All my friends are joking about drinking all day, I wonder how many will emerge from this as alcoholics??

I am jealous of all the people who have families or loved ones they live with. I haven't as much as touch the arm of another human for three weeks, and I miss human interaction so much.

The first few days I ate whatever I wanted - cooked big meals, comfort food, even some junk food like chips. Now, I've lost all appetite. Nothing sounds good. I ate two plain goat yogurts yesterday just to make sure I eat something.

I am sort of intrigued observing the internal experience I am going through with this isolation. I can't say I am depressed, or scared, nor anxious. But I don't know where this is going. We'll see.
edit on 24-3-2020 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Don't imagine the conversations, HAVE THEM. It's good for the soul. Good luck to you and your kit.
edit on 24-3-2020 by BoscoMoney because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

You only imagine conversations with your cat?!

I have three ... again, and I talk to all three of them all the time, even in normal times.

I would say talking to your pets is a sign of sanity.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I went into my kitchen to get a glass of tea a little while ago. I don't drink coffee, carbonated soft drinks or sugar so I get all of my caffeine and sweet drink satisfaction from tea that I brew in a machine and sweeten with sucralose.

When I opened the fridge I was greeted with an unexpected sight. My tea pitcher had been moved and in it's usual place sit four one gallon containers that say "chocolate milk" on the label but contain tea. On the bottles, in Sharpie, my name.

We have nearly a Brady Bunch sized household here, so there was no obvious "Oh, so and so did a thing" that stood out. Beyond a vague idea that somebody must have attended some kind of a function where tea was served and that person had been thoughtful enough to bring me the excess, I couldn't assume much else.

I smiled for a moment and then my heart sank.

On a good day I'm incredibly OCD and touchy about certain things, food being high on that list. I'm not picky in the sense of tastes or acceptance of new things, but I am super picky about quality and source. In short, if I'm not sure of where something came from and that it's been handled safely and in a sanitary manner - I won't put it in my mouth.

Somebody here did an incredibly thoughtful and kind thing and I feel horrible about the fact that I don't think I can bring myself to drink the tea they so generously brought me. In fact I know I cannot. If I were to try my body would refuse.

In the OP of this thread I mentioned that I had let others down and failed to be the person I want to be. This is an example of that. My issues are going to hurt another persons feelings and as badly as I want to, I don't think I can keep that from happening.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: toolgal462

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Way to tell if you have covid-19 is to cough in a rich person’s face and wait for their test results

twitter.com...

LOL

Gehehe

ROFL humour is the best remedy for all.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Mornin' Heff, can you pour some out and pretend you drank it? So as not to hurt anyone's feelings?

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Just saw this, from Mallorca Spain, the police trying to help keep spirits up.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Somebody here did an incredibly thoughtful and kind thing and I feel horrible about the fact that I don't think I can bring myself to drink the tea they so generously brought me. In fact I know I cannot. If I were to try my body would refuse.

In the OP of this thread I mentioned that I had let others down and failed to be the person I want to be. This is an example of that. My issues are going to hurt another persons feelings and as badly as I want to, I don't think I can keep that from happening.

Heff, if we lived together and you explained to me how much you appreciated the thoughtfulness and kindness, I wouldn't mind that you wouldn't drink it, especially given the current situation. If they do mind, I think it's on them and a lack of respect for boundaries.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

I won't buy any alcohol because frankly, I'm afraid I'd abuse it. All my friends are joking about drinking all day, I wonder how many will emerge from this as alcoholics??

Yep, and existing ones worsen. I've been wondering about suicides, domestic violence and child abuse. I think they'll all increase.

MORE than okay to talk to/with your cats. They communicate too, albeit it's not verbal language. Eyes, face, tail, their vocalizations......

It's pretty ironic about being all prepped up, moving and now this. There is just no telling what life has in store for us, is there?

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   

On a brighter note, I have reached a bit of a milestone with physical therapy. If I were just going for day to day functionality, I'd be ready to graduate on out, but since my goals are to reach athletic capability with full (or close to full) range of motion, we soldier on.

But it's nice to hear I'm back for simple day to day purposes.

Still since my shoulder joints are just naturally loose, I need that athletic capability in order to get into some kind of physical activity so I can strengthen and stabilize those shoulder joints or else I'm setting myself up for this to keep going on as I get older.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
Anybody have any idea how to help me get over this onset of paranoia I'm going to be responsible for people's deaths because of my job and the long period before the virus even shows signs?

I'm a home health aide and all my clients are high risk, some critically so.

Puppylove I get you, I work as head cook in an assisted living facility and I am terrified of spreading this thing to these extremely vulnerable people.

Our CEO took very early precautions, putting us on lock down and implementing every possible precaution, exceeding the guidelines.
There was/is a great deal of grumbling about it from the residents, but I am with him. These people are on average 85 years old.
But there is still a risk from us employees. It is a horrible conundrum. They need us but we could also kill them.
Could I be a carrier? Why aren't health care workers receiving mandatory tests ?
That would be the decent approach.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

Yeah, I can't imagine having one of those jobs right now.

I proof newsletters that go out to senior living complexes, and this month's April letters have been full of articles talking about all the measures and precautions being taken at facilities like yours to reassure residents and families.

But I keep thinking, "All the staff has to go out every day though ..."

It wouldn't be a comfortable job for sure.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Just writing to say I perhaps am capable of a fraction of comprehension.

On a good day I'm incredibly OCD and touchy about certain things, food being high on that list.
Food is very high on my list too. That is food handled by humans. When out and about in nature I consume every thing.
I munch down fresh leaves with glee.

I'm not picky in the sense of tastes or acceptance of new things, but I am super picky about quality and source. In short, if I'm not sure of where something came from and that it's been handled safely and in a sanitary manner - I won't put it in my mouth.
I get that. I have a very eclectic food preference, having lived and traveled around the world, but my knowledge through my trade has made me acutely aware of the danger of "The House Wife" approach to food safety.
"Cooling" food down in room temperature. Putting lids on hot food in the fridge or freezer. If they ever saw the live growth in bacteria in such containers they would puke. The pathogens survive in cold environments so a case of the S### is plausible even when frozen for months.
Or cross contamination through cutting boards.

In the OP of this thread I mentioned that I had let others down and failed to be the person I want to be. This is an example of that. My issues are going to hurt another persons feelings

Perhaps you will help them in the long run? And who is the person you want to be? The person who just gives in or the person who stands up for your "gut" feeling.
If you are wrong, so be it, but if you have prevented one casualty then you have saved one person or more.
When I am faced with "hurting" some ones feelings or preventing an "event" I chose the event.
BTW Thank You for this thread, it is a comfort.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Thank you, could you give me a link to that proof newsletter, please? I am not hearing anything from my facility.
I would really appreciate it.

I have secluded my self, which isn't hard being a hermit introvert.

We are on "Stay At Home Law" now together with I think seventeen other states.
Do I need a permit to go to work?
Can I drive to a state natural area, where I never encounter any one any way, because people are lazy?

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

No.

I can't get you a link to any of the stuff I proof without jeopardizing my job. They're basically client produced, meaning we provide the template and library of house written content and the client complexes fill them out and then we proof them and print them.

I'm just seeing that the various clients we have are simply restricting outside visitors and cancelling activities and trips as needed to prevent people coming into and out of the community as much as possible.

As far as your job in concerned though, it would almost certainly fall under a necessary service in the health care field. Let's put it this way, we're under stay-at-home where I am at, and my company has sent around the company lawyer letters we can take with us assuring us we're as necessary business as a publishing company! Although, there are some areas that do produce medical documentation, and that would put us under that umbrella.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Been feeling very blah... thought I was going back to work on the 30th now that may be pushed back into April sometime so while wandering youtube I saw these and binge watched quite a few I am sure many have seen them but its a good reminder we still have good people in the world doing good things and not to lose hope.

Wont lie teared up on some of them, darn ninjas cutting onions.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Because I found this and it just seemed infectiously happy ... something I thought maybe this thread could use.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: toolgal462

I just wanted to pop in and thank you for the advice!

In hindsight it feels like I should have figured that one out on my own, but never got anywhere near the solution.

Advice taken, most of 1 gallon empty, household seems peaceful.

So, again, thank you!

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join