It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who else lost their job due to the Coronavirus

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Nothing official yet but I know it's coming soon.

I work in an event related industry. Last week there was a lot of work to do with all the cancellations but now - nothing.

I'm mean NOTHING.

So it's coming for sure.....

I don't think it's going to bounce back as easily as restaurants. This will put fear into people for years - just like 9/11.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Most of the small businesses around here barely make enough of a profit margin to make staying open feasible. We lost quite a few when Walmart came to town, so a lot of the little shops rely on the money they make during the tourist season. I'm afraid a small business loan isn't going to help much, especially if this lasts for months like some are saying.If they go under, I imagine they'll be too deep in debt to open another shop when this all passes.

I had to go into town for a doctor appointment Monday; the fear and sadness was palpable, and there aren't even any reported cases here yet.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   
With all my heart, I wish for no more: flags / stars / commiseration, in this thread.

My soul wishes that I’m an isolated case. Let this not affect you!

I wish the best for ALL of you!! 🍻

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Thanks bro. I’m not looking for pity though. Just wanted to get a pulse on how this is affecting everyone.

I don’t know if I’m in denial or what. Just stunned

I quit my part-time job when social security kicked in last fall. I learned just today that my job would have been suspended as of today.
My wife, on the other hand, just quit her job because of an on-the-job-injury. She was a merchandiser for a beer distributor. Water is rationed but not beer, and she'd have been extra miserable as she wrestled through the crowds of toilet paper hoarders.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

had to close the doors to my restaurant today.
There is a state wide shut down on all public meeting places.
Don't know how long it will last but my brother and I and 18 of my employees are now out of jobs...

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   
i do online sales. i did not think much about it, i figured we just had a bad week. my brother on the other hand, reminds me it has been more than a week. i mean less than 50 bucks in sales in 2 weeks.

in a few weeks, im going to have to start looking around to borrow cash if no one buys.

im sort of nervous, but sort of not. i am an artist, and i think this is a wakeup call to get cracking on the art.
will art make money? who cares lol.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   
My first objection came today due to the corona virus in my trade. Ended up fixing the machine instead of replacing a 25 year old air conditioner.. it’s starting..

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Maybe you can get back to it after it all blows over but prob be a while like 3-4 months

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I have lost my job also. Working in the restaurant industry, washing dishes at a mall pizza shop. No one knows when or even if it's going to re-open

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

I really feel for the restaurant industry.. its so many people.. millions out of work for a while.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn
I see that too many people put all their eggs in one basket.

Seriously go choke on a typewriter...
edit on 18-3-2020 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
Losing a job is part of life. I've lost jobs, been fired. Big deal. Go get another one. The bigger problem is people thinking they are too good for certain jobs. Screw that. Go get a job as soon as possible.

Holding out for something better is usually not a good idea. Who really wants to hire somebody sitting around for 8 months. I wouldn't. If they worked at a car wash or delivered pizzas I would be more inclined to hire them for the better job. Getting a holdover job can also lead to networking for a better one. I had that happen once. Told me I was a hard worker and wanted me to go work for them. Eventually I surpassed all those jobs being relentless about circumstances I wanted. Go get a job and there is no time to feel sorry for yourself.

Cute. Telling someone to go get a job when everything is at reduced staffing or shut down entirely. Nobody's going to be hiring right now, Spiffy.

Didn't think that jab through too well, did ya?

You're kidding me right, what's changed that's always been the attitude, the only difference here is the amount of people feeling it..talk about herd immunity

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:33 AM
link   
we closed our business
no income now
may have to go to city for assistance
its no problem here
the city is helping out
banks are full of people today
not sure what they are doing
stores are cutting hours
no food shortage at all
no panic
life seems to be grand
but I have no income now coming in

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I'm anticipating it in the near future.

I work as a brewer. The profit margins in brewing are already thin. I can't imagine staying afloat after a month or more of being closed.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do if I lose my job. Obviously nobody is going to be hiring while this whole crisis is going on. My wife and I bought our first house six months ago.

If the government doesn't do something to help those businesses that are now suddenly going under and the people now out of work we're going to see a spike in homelessness. Which will just make this whole thing worse.

UBI I think was the pitch....

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
we closed our business
no income now
its no problem here
the city is helping out
stores are cutting hours
no food shortage at all
no panic
life seems to be grand

Lots of food and no work....dude have any hobbies...go fishing ,ride a bike...seems like heaven not to be a slave to the system.
edit on 18-3-2020 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: musicismagic
we closed our business
no income now
its no problem here
the city is helping out
stores are cutting hours
no food shortage at all
no panic
life seems to be grand

Lots of food and no work....dude have any hobbies...go fishing ,ride a bike...seems like heaven not to be a slave to the system.

I'm a cyclist . Was going to tour Okinawa this spring. Not now I guess. Fishing, we have a stream in the backyard and the river is just about 3 minutes away. got 8 guitars that are collecting dust LOL

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   
As of today I'm 'Technically unemployed'. My store also had to close due to the lockdown restrictions. So is my husband.

I'm sad to see how this is handled all around the world and I have to count myself very lucky.
Here in Belgium, everyone who can't work gets an immediate advance of 1400€ and 70% of their pay (keeping in mind that the paperwork for each individual can take months!)
We also don't have to pay our water, electricity and gas bills.
Everyone who is self employed and had to stop working receives a bonus of 4000€ to start with and don't have to pay most of their taxes and bills. Government is spending millions!

On top of that, all of us unemployed who volunteers to start a temp job in food sale or health work, or any other tele-job were they need people urgent, will keep their 'benefits' and on top of that will be payed a full pay in their new temp job.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
a reply to: booyakasha

I really feel for the restaurant industry.. its so many people.. millions out of work for a while.

I know. We've gotten coffee at our local small shop the last two mornings (drive-thru of course). I ordinarily wouldn't have done it except I want to do what I can to keep them going through this. It sure isn't their fault, and when the dust settles, I don't want to be left with Starbucks.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   

My family had to shut down our bar last night, we can manage a few weeks of this but it's going to be a struggle no matter what.

It was strange yesterday, we went in to get all of the booze out so that we don't get looted when the liquor stores get shut down.

Strange times.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   
My best friend is a bartender here in Ft. Lauderdale and works from 7PM-3AM, the initial curfew of 10PM concerned him then last night he found out they are closing the doors for 30 days. Thankfully, he's single, has minimal overhead and has always been great at saving money.

My father runs an Ebay business where he sells whatever he buys for cheap. He hasn't told me yet, but I do believe his sales are going to drop considerably while people stop buying random, non-essential goods, which are his main goods. He's got a pension from Broward County, where he worked IT for the last 15 years, as he just retired last September. It's a whopping $600 a moth. His wife was a live-in housekeeper for some well-to-do couple in Boca where she was pulling in $1200 a week. She witnessed the wife attack the husband with some scissors and she was fired immediately after.

originally posted by: Bicent
My first objection came today due to the corona virus in my trade. Ended up fixing the machine instead of replacing a 25 year old air conditioner.. it’s starting..

I'm a Chief Engineer on a 500,000sq foot campus (business offices, several 3-letter government agencies, etc) most of our AC's are 25+ years old and weren't maintained until I started 2 years ago. Every day I have to figure out how to draw water from a stone and get an AC running that has already been on it's last legs for years. If we can spend $200 on a part to make it run for another month, that's one more month we don't have to spend $5K on a replacement. I regularly have to put my battle gear on to try to get the property manager to understand that putting $2000 into a unit that is going to run like dogsh!t for another 4 months isn't worth it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join