It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid-19 and smoking or vaping

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   
does anybody know if there is evidence to show that people who smoke or vap are more at risk of more serious covid-19 infection, or are they effected the same as everyone else.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies
does anybody know if there is evidence to show that people who smoke or vap are more at risk of more serious covid-19 infection, or are they effected the same as everyone else.

Truly getting bizarre now. My guess is you inherently know thesew things won't do well with any kind of respiratory illness yet you're fishing for somebody to tell you that you can go ahead anyway guilt free...

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Your lungs are getting polluted, so....

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   
What do you think?
a reply to: AaarghZombies

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

CV attacks the respiratory system. If your respiratory system is compromised or in poor health, you are at a large disadvantage.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   

As I understand it, there is no increased risk for catching CoV-19, but smokers are at greater risk for complications, particularly pneumonia, and perhaps a more serious case of pneumonia. For basically the same reasons, smokers and patients with heart or lung issues will have greater difficulty if pneumonia sets in.

And for what it's worth, the pneumonia is a different infection (bacterial) than the CoV-19 (viral).

The research I've been doing indicates that our best bet to avoid pneumonia is three-fold:

1. Soothe the cough but do not completely suppress the cough.

2. Steam. Vaporizers, warm baths and showers, hot steamy fluids like tea and broth.

3. Do not lay or sleep flat on the back. Keep the upper torso elevated at least 45°.

The purpose is to not let any phlegm/mucus in the lungs settle and thicken.

CoV-19 usually presents with a dry and unproductive cough. If the cough becomes wet and productive, this is a sign of lung infection (inflammation, but no fluid in lungs), and/or pneumonia (inflammation + fluid in lungs).

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I would really love to know why you are asking?

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Jesus...its getting weirder and weirder on ATS with every new post.

Whats the CV thread count up to now? 2-3000?

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   

yes, the majority of people that died from the Wu-flu in china were men,

China remains one of the three leading countries (along with India and Indonesia) in total number of male smokers, accounted for 51.4% of the world's male smokers in 2015.

en.wikipedia.org...

The effect of sex on susceptibility to Covid-19 is less clear than the age effect, but preliminary data suggest men might be more susceptible. China CDC found that 106 men had the disease for every 100 women, while the WHO mission found that men make up 51% of cases. A study of 1,099 Covid-19 patients in Wuhan through Jan. 29 found a greater imbalance: 58% were male

www.statnews.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Just stop smoking and vaping, isn't your health worth it? I did, you can too.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Could tobacco cure coronavirus? Don’t laugh.

www.politico.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I think, if you are doing either of those things, you've pretty much given up already.

Smoke up!

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'm a pretty heavy smoker. I expect it to be really nasty if I catch it. I have been getting a chuckle out of the look of horror on people's faces the last few days when I cough near them though lol. I cough like this every day.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

You may want to look at those statistics a little closer....

51% of men in China smoke.

Of all Chinese males that have caught the virus, 14% of them were smokers.

Seems that smokers had less of a chance of getting it then non smokers....

ATS has a thread already about it, but I can't find it (on my phone atm).

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

You may want to look at those statistics a little closer....

51% of men in China smoke.

Of all Chinese males that have caught the virus, 14% of them were smokers.

Seems that smokers had less of a chance of getting it then non smokers....

ATS has a thread already about it, but I can't find it (on my phone atm).

That's the stat I saw. Smoking seems to put a layer of something around the lungs which makes it harder for virus to take hold. Smokers historically get less flu and colds as well. The thing is that if the virus does infect a smoker it leads to more complications than in non-smokers.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

got a source for that?

www.drugabuse.gov...

based on data from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (China CDC), the case fatality rate (CFR) for COVID-19 was 6.3 percent for those with chronic respiratory disease, compared to a CFR of 2.3 percent overall. In China, 52.9 percent of men smoke, in contrast to just 2.4 percent of women

tobacco.ucsf.edu...

Among Chinese patients diagnosed with COVID-19 associated pneumonia, the odds of disease progression (including to death) were 14 times higher among people with a history of smoking compared to those who did not smoke. This was the strongest risk factor among those examined.

journals.lww.com...

Efficacy evaluation at 2 weeks after hospitalization indicated that 11 patients (14.1%) had deteriorated, and 67 patients (85.9%) had improved/stabilized. The patients in the progression group were significantly older than those in the disease improvement/stabilization group (66 [51, 70] vs. 37 [32, 41] years, U = 4.932, P = 0.001). The progression group had a significantly higher proportion of patients with a history of smoking than the improvement/stabilization group (27.3% vs. 3.0%, χ2 = 9.291, P = 0.018)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
Your lungs are getting polluted, so....

Take a walk... your lungs are getting polluted.
Cook some bacon.... Hmm Hmmmm yummy bacon cancerous fumes. Or toast.

If you're smoking 4 packs a day, and coughing up a lung after every drag, then I'd say you're already a problem for yourself. So any virus coming along, is merely offering you a helping hand.

But in general, without any other underlying health issues, I doubt it will be a factor in the severity of your symptoms.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Ding Ding Ding - obvious confounding factors:

How many men work outside the home compared to woman and are therefore at more risk of exposure.

How many male smokers are denied treatment for a respiratory ailment and therefore don't bother showing up for treatment when they are sick out of guilt or fear of embarassment.

Considering the one child policy, what is the average age of men compared to woman.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: marikievansclkers

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

Truly getting bizarre now. My guess is you inherently know thesew things won't do well with any kind of respiratory illness yet you're fishing for somebody to tell you that you can go ahead anyway guilt free...

Ummm...well...to extrapolate out even further...

All those people living in heavy smog areas...the untold millions of them...

With their damaged goods respiratory tracts...

Then...imagine if they smoke or vape...

Double-whammy...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

2. Steam. Vaporizers, warm baths and showers, hot steamy fluids like tea and broth.

We always have a rum tottie ( hot drink with alcohol) when having a cold or flu. Knowing 70% Alcohol kills the virus ( Evergeen Vodka is 70%) Would a vaporizers with an alcohol based source actually do any good?

Note Wuhan had sprayed the city with disinfectant hoping for surface contact to kill virus - does it work inside the human respiratory system like asthma inhalers?

Or is a case of try it in small dosages and see if it makes you the individual feel better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join