It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers urge passage of law to bring pharmaceutical manufacturing back to U.S.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
we in japan make medicine
just buy from us
we have price caps
no gouching of profits here
really, come here to buy your medications , very cheap and pure

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
about damn time

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Wouldn't that make government in control of the means of production?

Instead of mandating by government, we should create an environment where manufacturers WANT to produce in America and eliminate punitive taxation policies.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Instead of mandating by government, we should create an environment where manufacturers WANT to produce in America and eliminate punitive taxation policies.

Exactly.

Take a cue from places like Eastern Kentucky or West Virginia where the entrepreneurial spirit is alive in well when it comes to pharmacological manufacturing.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

It will be quite some time, because Pelosi told U.S. House members to not come back Washington until she gives the all-clear.

thehill.com...

Maybe July or August?

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Exactly.

Take a cue from places like Eastern Kentucky or West Virginia where the entrepreneurial spirit is alive in well when it comes to pharmacological manufacturing.

Walter White would be proud!

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No. It is just saying if you are going to make something like medicine, some portion of it needs to be in the US for safety and national security concerns. In addition, to encourage all manufacturers to put America first, our tax and business laws need to favoraable enough to offset cheap labor in other countries.

In other words, if I am a corporation.... would I rather have cheap labor or lower tax rates and other incentives to stay in the US?

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

There is so much more than just pharmaceuticals we need to reel back in.

I'm not saying we need everything to be manufactured here, but we have all our eggs in China & India right now.

98%++++ of the worlds shoes are made in China...

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Up until a few years ago, practically ALL the big pharmaceutical companies were headquartered in NJ. Many are still there but many have left like Roche which use to be big in Nutley NJ.

Merck, Schering-Plough( bought by Merck), Ciba-Geigy, American Home Products (brought by Wyeth then Pfizer), Johnson and Johnson, Hoffman La Roche, Pharmacia, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Sanofi, Celgene, Novartis, and many others( are still) and used to be headquartered in NJ. Not Bayer, but they did have a huge office there. PFZIR is from NYC. Many have moved out of Jersey, maybe for tax purposes, I don't know.

Those who left won't likely come back.

edit on 17-3-2020 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Americans already come up here to Canada to buy up our medicine's... That will only make your medicine even more expensive, driving more of you to come up north of the 49th parallel to buy even more of our medicine... Too bad the Canadian border is not closed to Americans... You guys and your lack luster healthcare system are going to spread covid-19 up here even more...

You guys can't afford medication as it is, now you want to make it more expensive by manufacturing it at home... Makes no sense.

edit on 17-3-2020 by Steveshere because: Hit wrong button

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   
China 'ratcheting up threats' to cut off US drug supply: Report

youtu.be...

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Up until a few years ago, practically ALL the big pharmaceutical companies were headquartered in NJ. Many are still there but many have left like Roche which use to be big in Nutley NJ.

Merck, Schering-Plough( bought by Merck), Ciba-Geigy, American Home Products (brought by Wyeth then Pfizer), Johnson and Johnson, Hoffman La Roche, Pharmacia, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Sanofi, Celgene, Novartis, and many others( are still) and used to be headquartered in NJ. Not Bayer, but they did have a huge office there. PFZIR is from NYC. Many have moved out of Jersey, maybe for tax purposes, I don't know.

Those who left won't likely come back.

------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is not where the companies are headquartered. It's the physical manufacturing of the medications. I take a med owned by Allergan. It owns the patent but makes none of the pills. It has contracts with 19 different manufacturing companies to make the med FOR them. My cost last year for this medication (Bystolic) was $116 for a 90 day supply. I received notification that my refill for April-June would be $546...4x the price of my previous refill. There is no generic and no med does what this one does, according to my cardiologist. I did some digging and discovered that of the 19 companies that Allergan has making this med, SEVENTEEN are in China. One in the UK and one in the U.S. Supply chain interruption sounds sort of impersonal...but it's very personal to me (monetarily speaking).

edit on 20-3-2020 by azvol because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join