It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Losing Wisdom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I do all my post from my phone so I don’t have a lot of links and fancy stuff. Just simple advice here.

Get Wisdom

Take time to talk with the older people in your life NOW. Listen to their stories and learn from their experiences.

We will be loosing much to quickly a generation full of experience that is worth learning, especially those who have seen the world at war and those who survived the Great Depression.

Don’t let them be alone. Reach out and be with them, They can be a source of comfort for you. And for sure, you can be a source of hope for them.

Isolation of elderly people is not good. They have way more reasons to be depressed than we do. They have dealt with way more blows to their expectations of life. Yet, they seem to find some reason to keep on living.

Cherish the time you have now. If you have kids, let them see you cherishing your parents, so that they will do the same when it your turn.

Let bygones be bygones, be the first to reach out.

Get Wisdom.

Edit: obviously be safe with the virus. You can still call them, or FaceTime.

edit on 17-3-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

This isn't even a "virus" thing, and i'm not saying your post was about that.

This is a generational thing, and I see so many that get "caught up" in it, as have I(for reference, I'm in my 30's).

There seems to now, more than ever, be this prevalent assumption that the lineage of our families stories(especially in the modern west, us in particular) be something that should be dumped by the wayside.

The things our parents and grandparents have struggled through mean nothing now because of "tech" and the amazing progressiveness we are being showered with.

Check all your conspiracy theories at the door, ohh adult children of the internet.

Seriously though, and i'm no different, its amazing the disconnect that a generation has with the stories/history of their parents and grandparents. I'd wager it's never been greater in the history of mankind.

And we, the younger generation, is not all to blame. People just stopped passing things on, for whatever reason.

For example, I'm in my late 30's, my father has done little throughout my life(though now, today, he is doing much more, and I listen) with regard to passing history down, my grandparents too have given me little. Maybe it's them, maybe it's me(my generation) but people on both ends seem to have given it so much less credence when it comes to history.

It's a generational gap, it seems largely to be from the "modern" west countries. It's a travesty and will ultimately be something that will be a corner stone in the downfall of advanced civilization, disregarding the stories of our past.

It's sad....
edit on 17-3-2020 by ZapBrannigan3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030
Agree, 100 percent.
Thank you for your comments.

I have a billion thoughts and possibilities running through my head when I’m on these boards. I have a very skeptical mind and want to get to the core of the issues around this virus.

I could have created so many threads by now. But when I pulled back and looked around and considered what really matters. This is what came out.

I had some great conversation with my parents this week, and I recalled some of those conversations I have had in the past with my older co workers and my parents friends.

Again thanks for your comments. Be safe.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   
While I am on the other side of 60, when I was on the young side I knew in my gut the Elders had much to give. IF you think about it, they are basically walking History books for certain chunks of time out of time.

I owned a bar in my 30's had a elderly man that was a regular. He was an Officers assistant on the Mighty Moe or The USS Missouri if you want the correct term/Name. He was there for the famous signing of the peace treaty that ended WW2. We talked all the time about what he did and what he saw. I am a bit of a war buff so I was never bored. I ended up going to Hawaii and touring the ship. If you wanted you could by a flag and have it run up the flag pole. They would let it fly for a few minutes and then sign and date it for you. I gave it to him on one of the Fourth of Julys and that man broke down in tears. He was so touched and that just melted me.

I think a lot of times people avoid old people because then they start talking to much. I think this is because they spend so much time alone, that when someone is finally listening to them they have weeks or months of things to say.

A lot of times it just has to do with What you ask them and how you ask it. Most are delighted to talk because its a way for them to bring their memory lane back to life if even for a short time.

Best way to start the conversation is to put the phone down first. Then just ask, Whats one of your favorite memories from the past? Or do you remember what happened when such and such happened? It will roll from there.

Nice post Observationalist

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Great story about getting that flag for the elderly guy in your bar.
And great advice onehuman.

Love this.

Best way to start the conversation is to put the phone down first. Then just ask, Whats one of your favorite memories from the past? Or do you remember what happened when such and such happened? It will roll from there.

top topics

join