It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Move Over Puny Grand Canyon for Zemchug Canyon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Hello, ATS.

I wanna ask if anyone has heard of Zemchug Canyon? I just learned about it and I can't believe that i've never heard of it. It's larger than the Grand Canyon! How come i've never heard of this?

Zhemchug Canyon is an underwater canyon located in the middle of the Bering Sea. This submarine canyon is the deepest and is tied for widest canyon in the ocean
Geography
It has a vertical relief of 8,530 feet or 2,600 meters dropping from the shallow shelf of the Bering Sea to the depths of the Aleutian Basin. Zhemchug Canyon is deeper than the Grand Canyon which is 6,093 feet or 1,857 meters deep. It has two main branches, each larger than typical continental margin canyons such as the Monterey Canyon. What makes the Zhemchug Canyon the world's largest is not only its great depth, but its immense cross-sectional and drainage area, (11,350 km2) and volume (5800 km3).

In 2016, Michelle Ridgeway explored the canyon piloting an eight-foot submarine in an expedition sponsored by Greenpeace. She reached a shelf at a depth of 1,757 feet or 536 meters, that is, a third of a mile below the surface.

All I can say is wow! The world continues to find new ways to amaze me. Are you amazed? What says ATS?

en.wikipedia.org...
www.daily-stuff.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Cool post, never heard anything about it.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Yeah, pretty amazing, hug?

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

as its a sub-sea structure - it holds little interest to most land lubbers

its been on the sonar of marine biologists , geologists and the military for over 50 years

the surgue in sonar mapping in WWII and the cold war - idenified its scope

source

but unless you has a deep dive sub - theres nothing to see - so little public interest

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Yeah, i get it. I just think that the info on this canyon should be more widespread. Maybe many eons ago this canyon was above ground........? If so, then maybe there's still proof of lifeforms whether it be skeletons, or structures..........?

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

such is life - ask most grockles what the :

" milwaukee deep " is and you will rarely get the correct answer

to save googling - its part of a sub-sea trench in the atlantic - first mapped by the USN warship - USS milwaukee - using sonar

they got " naming rights "

different people know about different things

top topics

join