It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor can Seize Personal property

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Don't think it can't happen?
It has happened during other times in history during emergencies...
It starts with Hotels, and businesses. Where does it end? Personal farms, hoarders supplies/food... etc...

www.illinoispolicy.org...

“The mayor can confiscate property. Hopefully, that’s never going to be required,” Stavins said. “But I did just read in California where there was a necessity to take over a hotel … to isolate people during a quarantine. Now this is a pretty extreme case, but it’s possible, and it may be required to be done in a more immediate fashion.”..................
“The ordinance contemplates a wide range of emergency situations. Whether any of these steps will be necessary … is not completely known at this time,” he told the News-Gazette.

edit on 16-3-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Maybe time to start talking away from the robber barons?

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I don't think that would go over well here in MI.

They'd either end up aerated from bullets, or nailed to the wall via crossbow arrows.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I'd think rhat a hotel, which would likely be making 0 income during quarantines and the stupid travel restrictions, would be looking for a way to offset those losses. After being used as a quarantine facility Uncle Sam comes in and everybody makes money.

I'd be more suspicous of their friends and donors being the ones who get used for these purposes, then they pad the bills for the tax-payers in the end.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Tell him to come on over...

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodsBeGone

Maybe time to start talking away from the robber barons?

And this is why this should not be allowed ...

Hey, it's an emergency power to be used to deal with this emergency, but now I can abuse it to get back at those I don't like because ... well, power ... duh!

This is why we have the 2nd Amendment.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I'd like to see them try.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   
They can commandeer you’re vehicle, home if Martial Law is declared or other circumstances

Posse Comitatus Act

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It may happen. We may need to turn hotels into hospitals before this is over and in cases like this I would be OK with that. I am also from Michigan.
edit on 16-3-2020 by bluemooone2 because: spl

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

the mayor can seize my ****

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2
It may happen. We may need to turn hotels into hospitals before this is over and in cases like this I would be OK with that. I am also from Michigan.

As temporary health care ... OK, but as temporary incarceration for the homeless? Do you know what those rooms are likely to look like when that's done? Who pays to refurbish those rooms?

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I live in a rural area just outside a city.

I have just one thing to say to any mayor.

Come get some.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   
The 2nd Amendment states.. The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution
refers to a pre-existing right to keep and bear arms: A well regulated Militia, being
necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear
Arms, shall not be infringed.

According to some of the responses in this thread, the following Amendment
will better reflect how they interpret the above Amendment.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution
refers to a pre-existing right to keep and bear arms: A well regulated PERSON, being
necessary to the security of THEIR PERSONAL PROPERTY, the right of the people
to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

new topics

top topics

join