It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not one covid19 case in West Virginia?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Anyone have any insight to this? The only state with not one incident of the virus. Why?

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: coop039

Lack of proper..or any.....testing.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: coop039

Almost Heaven West Virginia.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: coop039
Anyone have any insight to this? The only state with not one incident of the virus. Why?

Same reason San Bernardino didn't have a case until yesterday when someone went to an outside facility to be tested...

Don't test... Don't tell.

Can't have CV19 cases if they all have the flu...

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Have you seen the folks in west virginia?

Let's just say they are a hearty bunch.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I read somewhere meth kills the Coronavirus. And also opiate addicts are notorious for being immune to certain strains of the flu. The government actually released junkies from prison in 1918 to help care for the sick.

Being West Virginia, that would be my guess.

ETA: West Virginia is the only place I’ve ever seen a trailer with a basement.
edit on 16-3-2020 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

No ... just no ...

Drug addiction does not make one immune anymore than drinking bleach or any form of alcohol will.
edit on 16-3-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
John Denver music kills it.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   

a love affair with mountain dew?

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Obvious sarcasm was obvious, was it not.

I'm on the VA/WVA border. Southwest VA.
Nice thought that us natives are somehow 'immune', but I seriously doubt that.

Lots of poverty here, lots of elderly with underlying conditions. Hoping our hospitals can deal with it, but I expect us to be especially hard hit over the long term.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

Poster in question is often mean-spirited.

It's more likely that the people in West Virginia just aren't as highly concentrated as they are in other areas in the country. Naturally more isolated. That will protect them ... but only up to a point. Sooner or later it will get there too.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No ... just no ...

Drug addiction does not make one immune anymore than drinking bleach or any form of alcohol will.

Yes ... it does ...

Opiates anyway. And it’s been well known for around a century.

Abstract

Opioids and their receptors have received remarkable attention because they have the ability to alter immune function, which affects disease progression. In vitro and in vivo findings as well as observations in humans indicate that opioids and their receptors positively or negatively affect viral replication and virus-mediated pathology. The present study reviews recent insights in the role of opioids and their receptors in viral infections and discusses possible therapeutic opportunities.This review supports the emerging concept that opioids and their receptors have both favorable and unfavorable effects on viral disease, depending on the type of virus. Targeting of the opioid system is a potential option for developing effective therapies; however caution is required in relation to the beneficial functions of opioid systems.

Link

Depending on the type of virus. As I said in the comment you replied to. It’s been anecdotally known since William S. Burroughs wrote about it in the 1940’s and 1950’s. And it’s now recognized by the medical establishment.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Yeah, I know. I read here (more than I should) so am well aware, but it was quite obvious

We are quite spread out, but not really the case in the towns where a lot of the poorer folks live. Lots of trailer parks and section 8 housing projects that keep them fairly packed in. Those are typically the low wage earners that do a lot of the service jobs here and that in an of itself will be problematic eventually (if not already)
Lots of not so good hygiene typically seen in these areas, so flu and other like viruses often move swiftly through these populations.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Yeah, can be beneficial.

Come on, if you know what you've written above about the problems in these areas, you have to also know about the generally poor health of addicts. It's not so much the dope (whatever it may be) that causes that, it's the energy and time expended getting those fixes and doing what it takes to do so.

I know, I have first hand experience.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I also have first hand experience. I know it’s anecdotal, but I never got sick once in the 5-6 years I was a heavy opiate user. And it’s something that has been written about since the early parts of last century and it’s now being recognized by the medical establishment.

edit on 16-3-2020 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Most of the opiate addicts in this area stay sick constantly. And no, I'm not saying it's the drugs that do that to them, it's a variety of factors...but it damn sure doesn't make them 'immune'.

Flu and other viruses are constantly spreading through that demographic, usually unchecked and like wildfire.

Need me to back that claim up? Well, I could probably find some links...but, spend a few months in those section 8 and other impoverished areas and you'll sing a different tune, unless you're blind.

ETA: Mostly though, the addicts in this area are more poly-substance users/abusers. So, I'm not completely shrugging off what you've noted. Just speaking from what I've seen (and, unfortunately, at one time, was part of)
edit on 16-3-2020 by Jakal26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

According to the Wallgreens Flu index West Virginia was #1 in flu activity just in February.

West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arkansas Top the Walgreens Flu Index® State Activity for February

link Here is the link to the Walgreens Flu Index. It’s got an Interactive map. It shows US states with high flu activity. West Virginia was number 1.

Link

Each week, we analyze prescription data for antiviral medications used to treat influenza across thousands of Walgreens and Duane Reade locations nationwide. In addition to the top markets and states, the Flu Index also ranks the markets and states experiencing the greatest gains in activity on a week-over-week basis.

In wish I could post a pic of their map. Curious to see it compared to the CV outbreak map.
Wallgreens Flu Index MAP

A new feature of the Walgreens Flu Index for the 2019-2020 season allows you to see how current flu activity compares to last season. February data shows flu activity across the country with the highest incidences in Eastern markets including: Harrisonburg, Va., Clarksburg-Weston, W.Va., Charleston-Huntington, W.Va., and Binghamton, N.Y. –a shift from this same timeframe last season where Texas markets topped flu activity.

Edit: sorry if it’s all jumbled. I cut and pasted this from my reply to the same question about West Virginia in the Q thread.
edit on 16-3-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Need me to back that claim up? Well, I could probably find some links...but, spend a few months in those section 8 and other impoverished areas and you'll sing a different tune, unless you're blind.

I’ve lived in some of the worst areas of this country.

As I said and as it says in the paper I linked, it depends on the type of virus.

If you know the junkie culture then I’m sure you’ve read the countless anecdotal evidence that the literature from that culture has produced over the past century. It’s been well known for a long time.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Nice to see what people really think of ya 🤔😳

Actually they think since our flu season was so bad, we may have already had the Coronavirus.

Put yea, it was meth that kept us safe 🙄 ATS is filled with a$$holes

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Come on, you have to be able to take a joke. I’d say the same thing about where I’m from in Kentucky.

Maybe the lack of teeth in my hometown leads to some kind of endogenous antibodies that show promise in fighting off the Chinese flu.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join