It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Why Isolation is the best option explained in short laymans terms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I have looked around the boards and have yet to see a sensible thread explaining anything about what is happening with the Coronavirus outbreak.

With most new outbreaks that have no cure/vaccination, the incubation period is normally a few days at most before infected people show symptoms.
When the symptoms are discovered, the person and anyone they have been in contact with, are isolated within a contained environment to prevent further spread. During this time all infected or those having been in contact with the infected are monitored with the aim of producing a cure/vaccination. They die or survive.
Those who die are cremated, those who survive are isolated until no further trace of the virus remains. Virus is almost elimated, and whilst it might spring up again in future, it can be contained by the same method in future if necessary.

With Coronavirus, the incubation period is estimated to be between 7 - 14 days (some speculate 21 days) not just a few days like other outbreaks.
To contain this by finding the infected and everyone in contact within such a large timeframe is not realistic when the infection is spreading during such a large window.
The only way this can be stopped is to confine people to their own homes, provide supplies where needed and wait on the infected to do as above, die from it or survive. This is the same realistic approach, just on a large population scale and is not the end of the world like so many seem to be posting about on here.

I am aware there are other aspects of this, but I do not want to write a 10 page intro thread, just covering the basics here with why this is going on as it is the fastest way of stopping it at the moment.

Anyways. Drink your orange juice, look after yourself and others, stop panicking ffs

Now ive probably started a run on orange juice

edit on 15-3-2020 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: XXXN3O

Self isolation works because it costs the government nothing and merely delays the inevitable (that we'll all get the flu at some stage).

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Shut down the economy for 2 weeks = Extreme agitation / irritations brewing / chaos afoot

Shut it down for a month = complete irrationality. Illogical thinking, run for cover!

Shut it down for two months = If you haven’t gotten the F##k out by now, well you’re ######

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   
If you don't already have it - you will soon because you gotta come out sometime.

This has gone way too far and is ridiculous!

Y'all are trembling in fear of a cold lol....

(post by Deplorable removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Shut down the economy for 2 weeks = Extreme agitation / irritations brewing / chaos afoot

Shut it down for a month = complete irrationality. Illogical thinking, run for cover!

Shut it down for two months = If you haven’t gotten the F##k out by now, well you’re ######

Yeah, looks like it's all over...

Yeah that might a bit too realistic or fuzzy for most people, but nothing wrong with actually looking out for your fellow human being.

However, after this passes, if measures do not return to normal... then ill think differently.

Makes sense to me at the moment and im glad to see people sticking by each other despite the crazies out there.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Self isolation works because it costs the government nothing and merely delays the inevitable (that we'll all get the flu at some stage).

Care to explain how any government or scientific body is meant to test people and contain a virus with an incubation period of upto 14 days without pre-existing knowledge of it?

I know that tune... it goes like this...

The alternative is to let everyone catch it, be off sick for a few weeks, a small percentage of the population dies and hope for the best with looting, riots and other actions reactions from the public. Hospitals will never cope with that for starters, neither will any industry. It's a rock and a hard place really.

PS: not attacking you (messenger) just what I considered a flawed message

By the way, im about the last person to trust government but in this case, I cannot see any sane alternative??

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: XXXN3O

originally posted by: chr0naut

Care to explain how any government or scientific body is meant to test people and contain a virus with an incubation period of upto 14 days without pre-existing knowledge of it?

I know that tune... it goes like this...

PS: not attacking you (messenger) just the flawed message

Instead of paying for expanded treatment facilities for the worst affected, paying for cleaning/disinfecting services and funding rapid vaccine development, the government officials take a 'photo op and tell us we need to go home and deal with it all ourselves.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   

If you're looking for a somewhat informed and honest answer, I'll offer one.

The current moves toward quarantines and sequestration is not really about trying to prevent immediate sickness and death in the short term. These are desirable outcomes to be sure but they are not the point.

The point is to try and prevent it from spreading as much as possible because it is a novel ( new ) virus and every new infection is a chance for mutation.

That's the short and cold version.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

If you're looking for a somewhat informed and honest answer, I'll offer one.

The current moves toward quarantines and sequestration is not really about trying to prevent immediate sickness and death in the short term. These are desirable outcomes to be sure but they are not the point.

The point is to try and prevent it from spreading as much as possible because it is a novel ( new ) virus and every new infection is a chance for mutation.

That's the short and cold version.

Even better

if people would just stop panicking.
edit on 16-3-2020 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:20 AM
link   
FEAR is a Virus. Spread Fear and U just lite the bomb

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I'll tell you why.... because in two weeks it will all magically be gone.

Some new virus comes along, nobody knows about it, nobody has a cure, but if we all hide in the bunker for two weeks it will all magically disappear.

Carry on, commies.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Can somebody please tell me what happened to the original Chinese that were cast all over the news bleeding from the nose/mouth and fienting while walking up right?

This does not seem to be happening anymore

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Generation9

Carry on, commies.

Ummm... someone has ran out of toilet tprollz
WW3!

Make as much sense as your post

PS: you can use the shower you know or figure out the three seashells... before resorting to calling everyone a commie etc

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 05:44 AM
link   

It makes perfect sense ya big freak. Commies run and hide. They don't have anything to fight for. They do what they are told without thinking. All these politicians telling you to shut up, roll over and die are weak and need to be replaced. They want you to go home and give up. Stay away from the fight. Go home. Die. This country needs one politican with the guts to tell it like it is. We fight for our way of life. And our way of life is not wimping out and cowering in the corner hoping the invisible boogieman passes over us. This is a damned shame to see leaders call off the fight. They have failed us.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 05:47 AM
link   
These politicians act as if some media mogul has a video of them humping a goat. They do what they are told by their globalist masters so their goat-humping can stay a secret. It's pathetic really. They sell this country down the river with a song and a dance.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

About five weeks ago, my cousin had flu-like symptoms for a week, then woke up one morning to find his pillow covered in blood, and his nose wouldn't stop bleeding profusely.

He ended up in critical care for a week, and was still ill for sometime after.

This was before CoVID19 was a widely known about or recognised thing (at least round these parts), and he never got an explanation as to what was going on.

I wonder about that sometimes.

(We now have confirmed cases on the island, and shelves are bare)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Isolation is intended to minimize the impact on our extremely underprepared healthcare system. Outbreaks relate to mathematical models. Cases relate exponentially to exposure. Etc. etc.

TL;DR: What happens when 100 people need ventilators to live is different from when 10,000 people do ...
edit on 16-3-2020 by Gryphon66 because: added "when" to the end of the last sentence for clarity

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Generation9

It makes perfect sense ya big freak. Commies run and hide. They don't have anything to fight for. They do what they are told without thinking. All these politicians telling you to shut up, roll over and die are weak and need to be replaced. They want you to go home and give up. Stay away from the fight. Go home. Die. This country needs one politican with the guts to tell it like it is. We fight for our way of life. And our way of life is not wimping out and cowering in the corner hoping the invisible boogieman passes over us. This is a damned shame to see leaders call off the fight. They have failed us.

Politicians telling anyone to roll over and die? Where have you seen this written?

Im just saying what I know from working in virology labs, quite some time back, with regards to outbreaks that might occur.

Ya wee freak

new topics

top topics

join