It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patient AB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This is a very strange case. Here we have a woman who began hearing voices telling her she had a brain tumor. They not only gave her a correct diagnosis, but directed her to a address of a clinic. And what do you know, they found a tumor.

Here are parts of the abstract:

A previously healthy woman began to hear hallucinatory voices telling her to have a brain scan for a tumour.

In the winter of 1984, as she was at home reading, she heard a distinct voice inside her head. The voice told her, “Please don't be afraid. I know it must be shocking for you to hear me speaking to you like this, but this is the easiest way I could think of. My friend and I used to work at the Children's Hospital, Great Ormond Street, and we would like to help you.” AB had heard of the Children's Hospital, but did not know where it was and had never visited it.

Her children were well, so she had no reason to worry about them. This made it all the more frightening for her, and the voice intervened again: “To help you see that we are sincere, we would like you to check out the following”—and the voice gave her three separate pieces of information, which she did not possess at the time. She checked them out, and they were true, but this did not help because she had already come to the conclusion that she had “gone mad.”

In a state of panic, AB went to see her doctor, who referred her urgently to me. I saw her at the psychiatric outpatients clinic, and diagnosed a functional hallucinatory psychosis. I offered general supportive counselling as well as medication with thioridazine. To her great relief, the voices inside her head disappeared after a couple of weeks of treatment, and she went off on holiday. While she was abroad, and still taking the thioridazine, the voices returned. They told her that they wanted her to return to England immediately as there was something wrong with her for which she should have immediate treatment.

Link

The rest is at the link. Long story short, she returned to England and the doctor humored her and got her a brain scan. Turns out, she actually had a tumor. After a successful surgery the voices said this:

AB later told me that when she recovered consciousness after the operation the voices told her, “We are pleased to have helped you. Goodbye.” There were no postoperative complications. The dosage of dexamethasone was halved every four days, and then it was stopped. She was on prophylactic anticonvulsants for six months. Antipsychotic medication was discontinued immediately after the operation, and there was no return of the hallucinatory voices or the delusions which she had expressed.

This is an amazing case to me for several reasons. These voices this woman heard not only gave her a correct diagnosis, but directed her to the specific address of where she needed to go to have it taken care of. A place she had never been. Then left with a “goodbye”, and never returned again.

Cases like this have always interested me. Along with things like instances of brain injury that led to a person speaking a different language. I feel like all of these are small pieces to a larger picture of the nature of human consciousness. If we could only understand the cause and effect we would be close to unraveling a major part of how our minds work.

I put this in the Paranormal section because this verges on extra sensory perception. If these voices weren’t from an outside source then they had to be something that had arisen in this woman’s consciousness. Maybe her own unconscious mind knew something was wrong and diagnosed herself? Or maybe this really was a case of something, somewhere else lending a helping hand. I hope one day we’ll come closer to understanding things like this. For now, all we have are stories.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Not a big fan of your political views. But this is the kinda post that reflects the ATS family. It’s excellent and I’ve never read anything about this before. S&F, now back to orange man bad!

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

What a bizarre story, nice find...

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Part of me thinks that maybe under certain circumstances people develop some kind of peripheral consciousness that can manifest as voices.

I was listening to Paul Stamets, a microdosing pioneer and he was a terrible stutterer when he was younger before he cured himself of it. He came up with a theory that people who stutter develop a peripheral consciousness as they’re learning to communicate as children. As a way around the areas in the brain that aren’t wired right. Maybe this is kind of the same thing?

A tumor in the brain caused this woman to develop a peripheral consciousness because of its location and her extra consciousness not only diagnosed herself but used the information stored in the unconscious part to lead her to treatment.

Wild idea, but I couldn’t help thinking it may be the same kind of thing.
edit on 14-3-2020 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2020 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Sure, it's entirely possible, our brains are capable of much we don't understand.

I like to think it could be some kind of concienesness communicating with us, I'm positive radio waves and thoughts even can be transmitted telepathically for lack of a better word.

In my early 20s I did a door to door sales job in business districts, so many times before I walked into a shop I would have a song in my head and sure enough on entry that song is playing on the radio at exactly the point it is in my head, that's no coinicedence.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Fantastic story. Thanks for posting.

Check out the works of Marc Wittman. He has written some great stuff on this subject. Also Charles Tart and Michael Pollan.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 04:07 AM
link   
For some time now, I have thought it possible that all consciousness is connected across the universe, and capable of communication at an unconscious level. This communication comes into our awareness through our intuition and therefore transcends all language and cultural barriers. However, we are not taught from youth to pay attention to our intuition, so we habitually ignore it and make decisions based on past experience, but sometimes that communication comes through loud and clear, and we know things we otherwise could not, such as the case in the OP.

It's just a short version of a rough draft postulation and I have little evidence to support it, but I am certainly not the only one to have considered it. I just have my own take on it.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

This could very well be an instance of the “overmind”. That awareness that is hovering over all of us. That sometimes people can tap in to. I believe that exists as well just because of personal experiences I’ve had.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Placebo?

NC

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Yeah Jungs theory on the collective unconscious is how I was first tunes to this type of thinking.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ManyMasks

There is something conscious steering it. The unconscious part is us. Which makes it possible to mislead one by planting the idea of a tumor like in this case. It happend to me, and I refused to belive.
First it was pancreas, then for some time it was a heart disease, it just depends on where the energy is.

Would be interesting to hear what that women did, thought and felt in the year before she heard that voice!

I was surprised and worried at first because i felt immense tensions in the solarplexus, and a voice tells you pancreas over and over. But it got clearer when i rised the tension to the heart and the voice started with heart disease, thats when i suspected foul play.
if you believe it you will manifest it, our mind is very powerful especially with our body.

Sincerely NC

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: NoConspiracy

I have an an unbeatable army of white blood cells roaming my temple relishing the slaughter of any foreign invaders
I call them my light brigade

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ManyMasks

As long as your in command, thats all fine, but when they try to rebel against you make sure you know how to keep them in line.

autoimmune diseases are very common now a days.

Sincerely NC

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Yes, Jung's theory of a genetically inherited "objective psyche" that is common to all humans has spawned a lot of discussion, debate, and postulation. His work has certainly helped fuel some of my own ideas.
edit on 3/16/2020 by Klassified because: Hell if I know what happened.

top topics

join