It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horrible place to buy games! Do Not Go!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
So I wanted to download a game tonight, and found a site called Direct2Drive. Got the game, and went to download it. Well, they work through another website for the downloads, and if I want to actually recieve my purchase, I have to create an account with the other website. Then I can start my download. So I did. I find out after becoming a member (my email has recieved about 5 junkmails per hour since doing this, and I didn't get any before tonight), I can download my 2+ gig file at 50k per second. Normally I download files around 350 kps. They do have servers which have higher bandwidth, but you have to pay to become a member of the site to access those.

So in short, pay for the game. Pay with your time deleting the massive amounts of spam you'll recieve to get your game, spend days and money if you have dial-up downloading your game, or pay $20 a month to download it faster. Seeing that the thing I got was $10, I don't really want to spend 200% of that to hurry the download.

Direct2Drive: BAD IDEA! DO NOT USE!

*Fixed Caps lock in title*

[edit on 11-3-2005 by dbates]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
That service has been crapola ever since it debuted. What game were you tring to get?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
It's actually gamespy, and I was getting Everquest Classic since my first CD was decimated in a move and I wanted to put it back on my computer. Pain in the patookis....It's still downloading.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
May I be the first Cornish Pixy to state categorically that both Fileplanet and Gamespy are complete piles of

In my pixyish opinion of course

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I have to agree with Pisky. But doesn't Gamespy work through Fileplanet? I can't get anything from them. Even a simple patch would cost me about $20 dollars to get!

Now allow me to demonstrate what I would like to do to those sites;

[edit on 3/11/2005 by cyberdude78]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
See, the best part about it is they didn't say it was through GameSpy (at least noticably) until I tried to download it. That is when I found out I had to register with Game Spy to get my purchase and then pay twice what I had already paid to download it at a decent rate. Hopefully it's done downloading now, I left my home compy downloading overnight and it was only half way there when I woke up this morning.

I did enjoy the feedback link, though. I am usually that guy who ranks things 5 out of 5 or whatever if everything goes smoothly, but on this one...

new topics

top topics

join