It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoarders Everywhere! The Great Friday the 13th Dash on Resources

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

The herd mentality of humans is on full display.

400 years ago people burned witches if crops failed, diseases hit or milk soured.

Now we buy toilet paper and piss ourselves on social media.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It’s almost like many are getting a rise out of it. It’s the cool new thing. Let’s all collectively freak out together.

Let’s be the iconoclasts of change. I choose to not live in fear.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
As I've said, my theory is that people buy what they see other people buying (if only because other people's purchases will cause the shortage). So If you fill your trolley with bottles of whisky, rumours of an impending whisky shortage would sweep through your town and then the nation.
Somebody ought to choose some product for a psychological experiment, anyway.

Might I suggest, for purposes of observational study:

Condoms.

Diapers (long shelf life, and a responsible investment as a “fallback” for option #1 above)

Please list me as a contributor to the academic paper this study will no doubt generate.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar
Diapers? Ah yes, "nappies". Now you mention it, it's a little surprising that they aren't one of the panic-buying items already. Though perhaps parents are already well-stocked as a matter of course.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

To give some perspective around the southern Grand Rapids metro and suburban communities and how they're handling it, my last post referred to the Aldi in Grandville.
Today, we needed to make an emergency run to find feminine items (Mother Nature decided one of the girls was going to start their monthly overnight) To their credit, the Jenison Meijer was calm and orderly despite being "Christmas season" busy, and while there was a run on TP and, of all things, milk (both sections virtually empty) the rest of the shelves were stocked fine for other household & food items. We decided to swing into the Aldi in Jenison while we were there, and lo and behold, it too, aside from TP, was well-stocked. We wanted Ramen for the noodles part of a lo mein dinner, and figured we're give it a try since the other one was not looking promising yesterday.

No one in either store today seemed to be hoarding based off their carts, it looked an awful lot like normal shopping to me.

I don't even want to know what the Meijer on Kalamazoo or over on Clyde Park looked like. Those can be madhouses on the slowest days anyway. We don't pop into those very often, just because of how damn busy they get. I pity the people who did need to.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalamitous
Holding myself back from getting caught up in the infectious hysteria, I almost felt guilty for not hording at least something so I splurged and bought a whole case of bottled beer.

Oh! I forgot to add that I bought a whole gallon of Frank's Red Hot. I put that # on everything!

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I had a feeling it would die down today. Hopefully, it was just a one day freak-out-fest.

I think everyone’s going to get real bored being mostly cooped up in their houses as well.

Breaking news on large amounts of newly infected, seems to have waned a bit thankfully.

Now, need to find a piece of wood to hump....

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
March 14th 2020....

My local grocery store Luckys is busier than a daycare.

Found several isles with empty shelves mostly around the can goods, water and cleaning supplies.

What's really apparent is the aura of fear that's in the air. I've been in my town for 7 years and it's a sleepy, retirement community. Super low crime, no traffic, and folks are generally quite pleasant and outgoing.

While walking around the store it just seemed to be like another planet I was on. There's an underlying competitive component now. Folks are still polite but you can tell the narrative has completely shifted towards survival.

In line to checkout, I could see people not talking to one another, and others talking to others on their phones being reminded to make sure and get this or that.

I'm witnessing first hand the charm and innocence evaporate from my community. It's truly heartbreaking.

A good deal of us know by now that this is being blown out of proportion and our so called leaders around the world are whipping everyone up into a frenzy with the help of their perspective propaganda machines.

The trouble isn't the coronavirus, the trouble is the market which was in free fall well before this "pandemic" mess took off.

500 billion a day into the repo market.

500 BILLION A DAY.

And as a vet, I can't.. or should I say, I DON'T qualify for the surgery to fix my knee so I can get back to work and have some type of quality of life. That blows me away...

Any hoot, just checking in and sharing some thoughts. Hope everyone is managing well.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

No fear here, just anger from all the people panic buying and acting stupid. I feel sorry for the senior citizens who live alone and are running low on supplies. It won't be easy for these older folks driving around looking for toilet paper and other supplies, while worrying about catching this virus.

Maybe that is why the virus was released? Get us all to panic and then release the hell hounds of an economic crash. We are already self quarantined for the most part, self imposed martial law if you will. This is a perfect time to bring it all down and hit the reset button financially. I think us old folks are doomed. The young will inherit the new world order they have been begging for. Maybe they will even get Bernie if they suicide crazy Joe.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I stocked up but on food and medicine. I already have 10 rolls of TP left over from a case I bought 6 months ago, don't need more. Only reason why I stocked up is because I had to buy before the excessive hoarders bout out the store and I couldn't eat at all. Sucks because I typically go to the store once every 2 - 3 days, but what I need for a few days and go back. Now I have to buy enough for at least 2 weeks because If I don't, I won't get to eat at all

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join