It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoarders Everywhere! The Great Friday the 13th Dash on Resources

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starcrossd
a reply to: Boadicea

Ooo! Can you share your survivor cookie recipe?

I'm so angry at myself... I've spent the better part of the afternoon looking for it, and can't find it!

I looked for recipes online, and found this one that's close:

Survival Cookies Recipe
Ingredients:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups oatmeal or granola
Directions: Mix brown sugar, white sugar and melted butter. Add egg, vanilla and mix well. Add banana, nuts, coconut, raisins, chocolate chips. Mix well. Add flour, baking soda, salt and oatmeal or granola. Mix and drop by teaspoon on cookie sheet. Bake at 350ºF for 12 -14 minutes.

My recipe didn't have bananas -- but I like it! I'm gonna try it. And mine had spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. I like to toast the coconut and nuts before mixing the dough. I also liked to substitute dried apples for the chocolate chips sometimes. My Mom used to use dates -- but yuk!

I found another similar recipe (with crumbled corn flakes) that looks good too: Ranger Cookies

A rich peanut butter cookie -- like this one -- is also a good survivor cookie. Especially with some chocolate chips! I used to joke with my kids that if we were ever reduced to actually surviving on survivor cookies, the peanut butter ones would be our "dessert".

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The irony is, those hoarding rice and flour are the ones who don't know how to boil water.. lolol

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: KKLOCO

I remember just a few short years ago there were a whole bunch of enlightened and woke people making fun of those of us who decided prepping wasn't a bad idea. Oh the laughs and chuckles they had over how ridiculous it was for people crazy enough to think that the world could take a change that would require someone to "prepare" for a catastrophe.

Wonder how many of them are laughing now?

We have two weeks worth of 2 meals a day of meat and veg in the deep freezer already (and can be stretched into 1-2 more weeks with serving size conservation) We have 10lb sacks of flour on hand for just in case we can't get to the store right away or can't work store-bought into the budget (thus make our own bread now and then when needed) and a 25lb bag of rice we got at Costco because we use all of them and rotate them out via use.

The freezer never has less than two weeks' worth in it, ever, no matter what. The bulk grains are replaced as they're used. If we get sick and have a missed paycheck and nothing in savings, THAT is what all that covers and what it SHOULD cover. Two weeks worth of down for the count or between a rock & a hard place. Not some half-assed panic-mode free-for-all retarded citizen session.

So yeah, still laughing at you. And when you run out of the butt wipe, which you eventually will, I still have a stockpile of cloth to wipe our butts with, wash & sterilize, and reuse again.
What will you have when you hit the last empty tube? Your hands. You're not winning anymore when you have to resort to using your hands.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel
Um..

Am I the only one who's used paper towels to wipe before because I was out of toilet paper? Works the same! Sure, if you had bad diarrhea, you might get irritated from wiping it 5 times in an evening but otherwise, all good.

Your plumber is going to love you.

Who even has a plumber? I get my slaves to do those mundane tasks and by slave I mean me.

Don't tell my gardener I don't have a plumber, or I'll quit mowing the lawn in protest.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

Pandemic or not, that's how I roll.

Toilet roll?

You have the right mindset. I see so much selfishness these days it's easy to forget there are good people like you, out there..

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Funniest one i saw at meijer this evening was a guy stuffing his cart full with 6 cases of Corona beer.

Guess he's throwing a Corona party.
Sounds like a good idea.

Hubby and the older kid went to Aldi today for buns to fit grilled brats (for dinner) and grab some soda to go with it.

They said it was a total madhouse, and getting pretty stripped in there. And what they saw in carts was all perishable within days, like the take & bake pizzas and such, and produce. Don't get me wrong, produce is fine, but it's going to turn in short order, unless you freeze or can it. I doubt many people were going to do either of those.

They did say the amusing thing they saw was an old lady filling a cat with Winking Owl wines (good wine for the price, btw) She saw them looking & said 'At MY age, this is how you survive plagues!" Lmao, at least someone elderly has a good outlook going on.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel
What did people use before toilet paper existed? Roman times, medieval times? Commoners, tribals.

Squirrels

Run. Run away!!! Lol

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: caterpillage
Funniest one i saw at meijer this evening was a guy stuffing his cart full with 6 cases of Corona beer.

Guess he's throwing a Corona party.
Sounds like a good idea.

Hubby and the older kid went to Aldi today for buns to fit grilled brats (for dinner) and grab some soda to go with it.

Ahh, you're already eating your young. Nature, she is a cruel mother... lol

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

So you hoarded because other people hoarded? Sounds like you answered your own question. Welcome to herd behavior

I purchase about a 10 days supply. Is that considered hoarding? I think not.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrustedTruth
a reply to: rickymouse

The irony is, those hoarding rice and flour are the ones who don't know how to boil water.. lolol

Most people know how to make rice, it might not be the right texture, but it is edible. As for the flour, most people know how to make chocolate chip cookies, I think we are born with that knowledge.

I did forget one thing that was sold out at both stores. Ramen noodles, everything was gone.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   
forgot to 'reply' button!
edit on 13-3-2020 by Starcrossd because: added info

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Thank you Boadicea!!!

These all sound good!

a reply to: Boadicea

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:10 AM
link   
It’s ridiculous. I work second shift. Got off tonight figured I’d stop at Walmart on the way home. Holy hell!!! Walking in we saw three people each with multiple carts filled. We needed cat food. But out of curiosity we took a walk around the store. Pasta gone, toilet paper gone, most canned goods gone. Rice they had one fifteen pound bag. Bread? Nope gone. Eggs gone. It’s was insane. Granted they canceled school for the next two weeks but my god.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Trader Joe’s in Sacramento was stripped almost bare today, although I was able to pick up some pasta sauce and frozen fish.

Oddly, the wine section was mostly untouched.

Does one drink red or white with the Apocalypse?

Is $2 buck Chuck too “on the nose” for the end of the World?

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I don't get out much except maybe to the local pub on Saturday night and to the market but I’ve been reading about all the madness. My ex-husband I haven’t even been married to for 23 years called me today to warn me people were being crazy and to insist if I was going out to make sure to carry. I pacified him and said I would but I was just going to the Smart & Final on the corner rather than the big local Kroger affiliate and wasn’t planning to encounter anarchy in the streets.

I normally grocery shop about every two weeks and just went a week ago so only needed a few things I’d forgotten and to pick up a few just-in-case items for the pantry should society devolve into the chaos that so many seem to almost be hoping for? The store was indeed crazy. People were buying cases of eggs, carts were stuffed full and many shelves were empty. I got everything I needed, except TP of course, and a few extra things. I could eat for a month with what I have on hand if push came to shove but why people are thinking it’s going to go there escapes me?

Holding myself back from getting caught up in the infectious hysteria, I almost felt guilty for not hording at least something so I splurged and bought a whole case of bottled beer.

I’m ready for the apocalypse!

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I usually shop on Friday evenings or Saturday morning. Yesterday, after having taken my sister to a routine Dr. appt and not having to return to work, I realized that I had an opportunity to do something by myself for a change. I drove around the local Kroger parking lot a time or two and they were packed. Now, a lot of folks in my community get paid semi monthly and it was pay day so it is normally a little busier at those times of the month. Also,, spring break is upon us and I know when my kiddos were out of school, they would eat me out of house and home, nearly. But I thought what the heck, I'll run up the street to Food City which is not usually very busy and less popular.

I was very surprised and obviously naive. Even though they had a limit on toilet paper (2 packages per customer) the shelves were nearly bare. I wasn't there for toilet paper though so...

While in line to check out, the cashier and I were remarking on the toilet paper hoarders, the what appears to be panic shopping in general and I'll admit we were giggling and, I suppose, making light of the situation. In the next lane over, a couple had turned and were giving us the old stink eye. The person bagging their groceries just happened at that moment to load their two bags into their cart. Two packages of toilet paper and two 2-liter soda bottles. Oh the irony.

I did note that an awful lot of "convenience" type items were diminishing besides the canned raviolis, powdered milk, dried and canned beans. By convenience items, I'm meaning potato chips, cookies, crackers and that sort of thing...Plenty of regular cleaning supplies like cleaners with bleach etc.

I also noticed plenty of bath items still left on the shelves. I suppose I am fascinated by what folks are buying.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Bias as in having no interaction with the virus or its aftermath.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalamitous
I splurged and bought a whole case of bottled beer.

I’m ready for the apocalypse!

You go, girl.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I was genuinely surprised to see the alcohol virtually untouched, at the store I went to. My guess is, as this thing progresses and boredom sets in for people, alcohol will become scarce as well.

I took my dog on a walk the last couple nights. Not one person out. In what normally is an area with hundreds of people walking around. I put my music on and turned the volume all the way up, as I walked through not neighborhood. It is my way of showing I have no fear of this virus — come join me!

I look forward to the day when people are out again. It will be a sign that they aren’t buying into the hype of this not even a flu virus.

To the World governments and news outlets: FU## YOU for freaking everyone out about this!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   
As I've said, my theory is that people buy what they see other people buying (if only because other people's purchases will cause the shortage). So If you fill your trolley with bottles of whisky, rumours of an impending whisky shortage would sweep through your town and then the nation.
Somebody ought to choose some product for a psychological experiment, anyway.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join