It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoarders Everywhere! The Great Friday the 13th Dash on Resources

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

I remember just a few short years ago there were a whole bunch of enlightened and woke people making fun of those of us who decided prepping wasn't a bad idea. Oh the laughs and chuckles they had over how ridiculous it was for people crazy enough to think that the world could take a change that would require someone to "prepare" for a catastrophe.

Wonder how many of them are laughing now?

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   

So you hoarded because other people hoarded? Sounds like you answered your own question. Welcome to herd behavior

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   
For a laugh, today, I actually took some advice from an old dear I spoke to yesterday in a supermarket bereft of toilet rolls (but plenty of tissue boxes).

I tried newspaper - it was alright actually, no joke!

And when leaves start growing with a vengeance, that's another option - back to basics, arguably.

PS: Wiping my ar*se with the very newspapers that are contributing to this madness seems like a form of poetic justice!

edit on 13-3-2020 by ConfusedBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Around here, there is lots of paper towels left on the shelves, but the toilet paper is all gone. We bought one twelve pack of toilet paper, we would have felt guilty if we bought more, we already had three twelve packs at home.

Rice was pretty well gone, so was the flour except a few brands. I was able to pick up organic flour, most people were buying the cheaper white flours. The handsoap was pretty scarce too. The cat litter was holding it's own, but I think the run on that will be coming this week. They brought in lots of milk, so there was no shortage of that in either of the two stores we went to. Strange thing was that people's carts were full of junk foods, that is the worst thing that you could stock up on when there is a pandemic, it can suppress your immune system and cause you to get a more serious case of the virus.

So that is the update from around here, I also bought a couple of pound bags of tobacco and some filters so I won't have to go to the store for that kind of stuff.

I am not scared of this virus, I am scared of the insanity of people when they panic. You will not want to go to the store if you got a cold, you might wind up being hit by a flying can of pork and beans or something. And remember to lock your car while you are at the store if it contains toilet paper.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   
You don’t need to panic until the illegals are sneaking back into Mexico

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Um..

Am I the only one who's used paper towels to wipe before because I was out of toilet paper? Works the same! Sure, if you had bad diarrhea, you might get irritated from wiping it 5 times in an evening but otherwise, all good.

This stuff isn't hard to make and stock shelves with either. Are the people who bought it all gonna come back and buy all of the restock which is every week or twice a week?

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I had to go get some groceries as part of my normal routine, and it was absolutely ridiculous. There was not one single little roll of toilet paper or paper towels left in the entire toilet paper aisle - and you know people saw the toilet paper gone and thought "well, looks like I'll be using paper towels instead". The entire water aisle was stripped too, except for a few random things like a few packs of "LIFE WTR" and 3 or 4 bottles of Evian. People were piling as much stuff as they could fit into their carts. I had to wait like 20 minutes in line for the register.
And you know why this is happening? Because the *ing media completely blew this out of proportion and made people think the world was going to end because of a virus that MIGHT give them a slight cough for a few days!
edit on 3/13/2020 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

It's crazy. I went out this morning to do my weekly shopping... there was almost no rhyme or reason for what was sold out and what was stocked to the gills. Canned tuna was gone but plenty of canned chicken and spam and so on. No beans of any kind in sight, but lots of canned veggies and fruits. No toilet paper or paper towels -- at all! -- but lots of kleenex and napkins.

I kind of feel like I peaked too soon. Full tank of gas that will last me at least a couple more weeks. I bought my usual 3-pack of Lysol wipes right before the madness started. I hope there's more when I need them. Same for toilet paper. None at Walmart, but plenty at the supermarket last week. In fact, they had a 2 for $10 deal (9 mega rolls each), so I picked it up. That will last us quite a while, but will there be more when we need it? We've got enough food to keep us going for weeks -- lots of meat in the freezer, and things I've prepared ahead and frozen like shredded beef and lasagnas and such. I'm wondering if I should make a couple batches of survivor cookies though... just in case...

Makes no sense to me, except that it's fear mongering and some misguided panic driving it. I'm more worried about that than the virus!

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

To be bluntly honest, if I were to come down with a cough, sore throat, congestion, slight fever anytime soon.. I wouldn't even go get checked out. Same thing I'd do if there wasn't an overblown pandemic thing going on. I'm a horrible person because I work in the food industry too. I'd have to be seriously ill, too ill to goto work which is just how I'd decide if I were going to go to the Dr before coronavirus.

Paper towels permanently sold out and stuck at home? I'd use a hand towel then wash and dry it every 24hrs.

edit on 13-3-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel
Um..

Am I the only one who's used paper towels to wipe before because I was out of toilet paper? Works the same! Sure, if you had bad diarrhea, you might get irritated from wiping it 5 times in an evening but otherwise, all good.

Your plumber is going to love you.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

Um..

Your plumber is going to love you.

Why flush perfectly good fireplace starter?

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
California Central Coast checking in:

All is fairly normal here aside from an uptick in shoppers at Seaside Costco. It was too packed for me this past Tuesday, so I'll go back sometime next week. Ho-hum....(yawn..)

Went to Walmart instead, got my usual 5 cases of water for the month without much hassle. Went back the next day for some odds and ends and the water was out, but they were restocking it while I was there.

My wonderful neighbor said she couldn't get any water that day, so I gave her a case because that's what's needed.....solidarity.

We had a short conversation about the mania people are experiencing and just shook our heads. Told her if she needed some more just ask, to which she replied, "Well, if you need some toilet paper, I got your butt covered!"

We both laughed and enjoyed the rest of our evening.

I'm not fearful at all because I'm not thinking of just my own preservation, but those around me as well.

Pandemic or not, that's how I roll.

There are a lot of people out there that must feel very alone. Sad.

Go knock on your neighbors door, check in, have a short conversation and assure each other that they, and you exist, and strengthen those bonds.

It will truly help to hear it first hand, instead of allowing the media to make it appear that its everyone for themselves.

Stay available. Take a deep breath.

edit on 3/13/2020 by EternalShadow because: correction, eta

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I have been a mini prepper for years. It has been a battle as my wife is always asking me what do you need all that for. Now she knows. I don't go crazy with it. Some things I buy in bulk. TP being one of those things.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Ooo! Can you share your survivor cookie recipe?

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   
What did people use before toilet paper existed? Roman times, medieval times? Commoners, tribals.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   

What did people use before toilet paper existed? Roman times, medieval times? Commoners, tribals.

Water, wooden scrapers, towels/cloth, pine cones, corn cobs, and nothing.

ETA: Or you could ask what the homeless (sorry, "houseless") in SF and Seattle use?
edit on 3/13/2020 by Krakatoa because: added additional thoughts

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

No fear here, just anger from all the people panic buying and acting stupid. I feel sorry for the senior citizens who live alone and are running low on supplies. It won't be easy for these older folks driving around looking for toilet paper and other supplies, while worrying about catching this virus.

100% this.

It's one thing to not worry about this virus, but another to now have to worry about the twats who fear it.

Bread, rice, etc.. God help us should a disease with utter catastrophic things appear.

At least we know there will be food and supplies in them thar rich dudes houses..

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Funniest one i saw at meijer this evening was a guy stuffing his cart full with 6 cases of Corona beer.

Guess he's throwing a Corona party.
Sounds like a good idea.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

This feels like a dry run for a Bernie Sanders presidency.....haha

Be eating zoo animals then..

The weak are meat, and the strong will eat.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Funniest one i saw at meijer this evening was a guy stuffing his cart full with 6 cases of Corona beer.

Guess he's throwing a Corona party.
Sounds like a good idea.

Lol..

"Oh my god, you look deathly ill? Coronavirus?"
"Nah, just hungover from too many corona's."

He'll post something droll on Facebook, regardless..

<< 1    3  4 >>

join