It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The airline bloodbath has begun

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dainfamusgc

Even without bonuses airlines have never been wildly profitable. There are far too many factors that hit them hard that are out of their control. Fuel prices are a big one. Delta tried buying their own fuel refinery in 2012, and by last year they were trying to sell it.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

That's all we need, more mergers. Then when this happens again, it can be even worse.
edit on 3/13/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Just checked rates - Chicago to Las Vegas on United and American = $59 - ROUND TRIP!

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Los Angeles to London, in basic economy less than $800 for two. If you upgrade to regular economy it's still only $950 for 2. There were flights to Australia a couple weeks ago from the West Coast less than $700.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   
As many more bloodbaths in many many other different sorts of businesses worldwide gonna happen. IMO we all should just live life as we did before as much as possible, just doing the things we all did before. Sure try to protect the elderly/those who are at most of risk as much is possible (but that's also very hard but trying).
You can't stop this virus, you can slow it but not stop it. Only with a vaccine (1 year at least). Try stopping the common cold, you can't.

Train many many people so they can take care of the critically ill and get as much of the equipment needed to help those people. And put in place more then plenty care houses/hospitals/places where they can be taken care off.

Destroying whole economy's worldwide (which could happen and it does look it goes that way) will also kill many and many.. Never before the economy is as important as today, all interconnected globally basically.

The economy has become too important, more then people even (let alone animals, nature).. Too many people as well. Now it's paytime?

edit on 13-3-2020 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

at least you didn't hunt for JB.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I agree, but what can we do they are run horribly, on such a small margin for error if this goes on more than a few weeks it's inevitable.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   

The cure is worse than the disease.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Oh, I know. And you're almost certainly right that they'll merge, because they won't have a choice. British Airways sent out an email saying they're fighting for their existence at this point.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This is not going end well.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Does this mean the pilot shortage (Made up or not) is over temporarily?

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Wow.. wonder which of the big ones will get swallowed up in the US.

normally I would saw South West would survive but after the debacle with the super max and now this they may never get back on their feet.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   

They're the one that isn't cutting routes currently. I'd bet American personally.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Considering the debt American holds, that would be my prediction of the big carriers.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The earth just got a little greener. Greta Thunberg should bliss, at least a little, at this news.

I predict new market opportunities in the aftermath. At worst...we slow our jet-setting asses down a bit and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
edit on 13-3-2020 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I work for a large regional that contracts with Delta, United, and American, so far we are planning to cut flights by 8%-10% across the board in April. On average that is 200 flights a day cancelled. This was BEFORE Trump cancelled all foreign travel from Europe minus England (lol they have a # ton of cases already).

If things continue it’s going to get rough to say the least.
edit on 13-3-2020 by Pyle because: Grammer

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This will help to curb climate change, mos =t of the flights and Cruise ship tours are not necessities, they are the things we need to cut to cut CO2 emissions. Heating our homes or traveling to work are necessary things in this society.

I would bet that NASA could see how this corona scare curbs the problems with our atmosphere and I would bet they will look at this.

Things we want destroy the environment, not things we really need.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Talk about saving the environment lmao

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
Does this mean the pilot shortage (Made up or not) is over temporarily?

Well, here locally in Tennessee I've heard pilots talking about trying to find work, because their planes were damaged during the tornado we had a few days ago. Apparently a lot of big name people also had their private jets and such crushed by debris.

So, I know that there are pilots looking for planes to fly. I have a few buddies who fly private charters, and they're still doing rather decent.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   
My local airline has already gone down.
FlyBe = Initially got a bail out from the government but when the virus took hold they just folded.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join