It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China threatening to stop sending medications to the US, they make most of them in the world

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: The2Billies

China threatening to stop sending medications to the US, they make most of them in the world

Shouldn't we send thanks if they do ?

Not the life saving one my husband must have to live.

Most likely produced in another country , if not the US , and possibly safer to take.

I wish that were true, but it looks like the issue is moot for the time being.

The cat got out of the bag, and international hammers must have gone down hard, and the threat is over for now.

But we need to realize what a weak position we have put ourselves in and now is the time to do something about it and best case scenario bring manufacturing of critical items back to the US or diversify where we outsource.

This is why Trump went to India - he spent a lot of time visiting with prospective manufacturers. India can make stuff as cheaply as China.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Its an empty threat, the US is one of their biggest customers and the last thing the Chinese need right now is to alienate a cash source. Also the US exports a substantial amount of food to China, I don't think they want us to retaliate along the lines of banning food exports. They are already having problems with drought, 99 percent of their land use is for food production. They may be able to pull a stunt like cutting off the medicine, but it wont be without the most severe of consequences for them at a time when they can least afford it. Oh, and we can import from India and Canada, and get our own production back online in a year, and then cancel imports form China permanently.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The US is sanctioning (even) medicines worldwide against many many country's them self!
Imagine China doing something similar, the horror!

Also increasing prices of medicine (worldwide) because it's not about health but about profit!

Anyways good read:
BigPharma’s Role: U.S. sanctions lead to global rise in Coronavirus
www.workers.org...

Just a few quote's out of it:

More than 39 countries are currently under U.S. economic sanctions — more than one-third of the world’s population. But as in the case of Ecuador, every country can be routinely threatened with economic strangulation for the smallest attempt to limit U.S. profits.

The responsibility of U.S. corporate power, especially the medical-industrial complex, in the calculated destruction of basic health care capacity in the U.S. and worldwide must be challenged. On a global scale, the connection of the largest U.S. pharmaceutical corporations to U.S. sanctions policies — whether signed by executive order, voted for in the U.S. Congress or pushed by U.S. ambassadors through the United Nations Security Council — demands careful scrutiny by investigative journalists, human rights organizations and working-class organizations.

Consider the role of Josh Black. He was U.S. head of sanctions and counterterrorism enforcement at the United Nations from 2008 to 2016 under the Obama administration; then Black joined the Trump administration’s National Security Council.

Black’s stated role was coordinating “peacekeeping operations” and sanctions policies passed by the U.N. Security Council — measures calculated to strangle economies and ruin lives in Iran, North Korea, Libya, Syria, Yemen and Sudan.

Josh Black now represents the giant medical corporations that hold peoples’ lives hostage to profits. He is still based at the U.N., now as vice president of one of this country’s most powerful lobbying organizations. PhRMA — short for Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America and also known as Big Pharma — is the global lobby for the U.S. pharmaceutical industry.

U.S. sanctions threaten even breastfeeding

Just how far these capitalist medical and food industries will go, and what kinds of brutal threats they are prepared to make to enhance their profits, can be seen by their actions around breastfeeding.

The World Health Organization estimates that breastfeeding infants would save 820,000 lives of children under five annually. To educate the public, WHO wanted to pass a nonbinding resolution encouraging breastfeeding at the May 2018 U.N. World Health Assembly in Geneva. The resolution called on governments to “protect, promote, and support breastfeeding” and for policymakers to restrict the promotion of unhealthy food products.

Ecuador was scheduled to introduce this resolution. The U.S. officials at the meeting quietly threatened to unleash harsh economic sanctions on Ecuador’s critical trade goods and on scheduled aid just for introducing a nonbinding U.N. resolution. This dire threat of sanctions signaled capitalist support for the $70 billion infant formula industry.

The far greater crime than unpreparedness for this emerging pandemic is the disease of capitalism itself, where only profits are measured, while millions of people fall through the gaping holes of a fraying system of private ownership for profit.

edit on 14-3-2020 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2020 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

MODS - are people allowed to remove their "names" and all identifying information, plus disable the ability to quote what they wrote?

I'm not a mod but it would seem that we can't or at least olaru12 didn't.

originally posted by: olaru12
From this thread, I get the impression that the Right Wing wants a war with China. Well, Afghanistan, Iraq and Nam worked out well, why not...

I guess diplomacy is out of the question. So bring it on....

Glad I don't have any kids because they will be the one's fighting it. Bring it on....

Seems the threat is over for now.

Well Sookiechacha pointed out that they could not find the article mentioned by FOX on page 1.

Meanwhile, you and others kept acting like this was "a declaration of war" without taking the time to find out if it was even real.

ETA:

The cat got out of the bag, and international hammers must have gone down hard, and the threat is over for now.

Is it that hard to accept that your source had it wrong all along and there was never a threat?

edit on 14-3-2020 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   

However they make money from selling to the US, so if they do not sell, they loose mass amounts of money instantly, at a time where their stock markets have taken a multiple billion dollar hit, this isnt a move they would be making. They may try use it as a leverage to gain more money to fill the holes that recent stock market crashes have caused on their economy but the US are not ones to budge on being pushed into a corner, so they will just hold out and then they will have to sell regardless.

The US can if they wish, create these drugs, they just allow china because they make a massive increase in profits selling to US citizens.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackProject

However they make money from selling to the US, so if they do not sell, they loose mass amounts of money instantly, at a time where their stock markets have taken a multiple billion dollar hit, this isnt a move they would be making. They may try use it as a leverage to gain more money to fill the holes that recent stock market crashes have caused on their economy but the US are not ones to budge on being pushed into a corner, so they will just hold out and then they will have to sell regardless.

The US can if they wish, create these drugs, they just allow china because they make a massive increase in profits selling to US citizens.
One reason we are behind on testing its all about the money,they didn't want to interrupt the stock market.
The US dollar is worthless china's been wanting to convert to yuan for years.
China, is sending a huge supply of necessary equipment and human resources to Italy.
The United States used to play that role not that long ago.in this crisis and future ones, who will help us?
edit on 15-3-2020 by madenusa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Not yet. Here's a real life story. Mine. I take a blood pressure med called Bystolic. There is no generic. This med is a beta blocker...but also slows my heart rate to the upper 50's. I had three vessel bypass surgery in 1992. (At age 39) This reduced heart rate is medically necessary. I learned on Saturday it was time for a refill by Humana's Mail Pharmacy. What normally costs $140 for a ninety day supply will now cost $454. Allergan is the owner of the drug. They have 19 contracted companies making the drug for them. SEVENTEEN of the companies are in CHINA. IOW, a supply chain interruption...with personal monetary ramifications. I need the Chinese to press pills a little longer. For my well being and my credit card's.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Not yet. Here's a real life story. Mine. I take a blood pressure med called Bystolic. There is no generic. This med is a beta blocker...but also slows my heart rate to the upper 50's. I had three vessel bypass surgery in 1992. (At age 39) This reduced heart rate is medically necessary. I learned on Saturday it was time for a refill by Humana's Mail Pharmacy. What normally costs $140 for a ninety day supply will now cost $454. Allergan is the owner of the drug. They have 19 contracted companies making the drug for them. SEVENTEEN of the companies are in CHINA. IOW, a supply chain interruption...with personal monetary ramifications. I need the Chinese to press pills a little longer. For my well being and my credit card's.

edit on 15-3-2020 by azvol because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: azvol

Believe me , I know where you are coming from.
I wasn't speaking as to a stop of exporting , I was speaking of the threat to stop.
All US companies should wake up from just this statement.
Too much of the US has been outsourced to other countries that really don't give a rat's a__ about the US
They have done this purely in the name of profit margin.
Which , btw , means they don't give a rat's a__ about the US either.

Where are the other 2 locations ?

edit on 3/15/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Relying on another nation does not make china harsh and cruel.

What it should be is a wake up call.

60s, 70s, 80s and most of the 90s products said made in America......they rarely said made in China.

That's something that needs to be addressed.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

Personally, I think they should be offering all kinds of incentives to get industry to move back to US as long as they do something to get our utter dependence off other nations (china). Hopefully this will be a wake up call. It's too late now, but we can plan for whats down the road.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: azvol

Believe me , I know where you are coming from.
I wasn't speaking as to a stop of exporting , I was speaking of the threat to stop.
All US companies should wake up from just this statement.
Too much of the US has been outsourced to other countries that really don't give a rat's a__ about the US
They have done this purely in the name of profit margin.
Which , btw , means they don't give a rat's a__ about the US either.

Where are the other 2 locations ?

Sorry for the multiple posts---I was attempting an edit. I practically never post and forgot to include your post quote with my response----and was attempting to do an edit to include that...but it ended up posting several times without ever including your post. To your question: one was in the U.S. and one in the UK. Walgreen's and CVS's sources are also Chinese. The interesting part of the exercise was FINDING OUT WHERE these patent-holding drug companies actually have their formulas made into takable medications. Not an easy task---at least not easy for me.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I hope this virus will go away soon.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Taylor345

Yeah, same here I'm (sorry can't be helped. LOL) sick of it. Like a lot of people I was hoping it would've been over with a long time ago. At this rate spring and summer are going to be complete right offs. Around here Central NY there was talk that died quickly of trying to get the schools open by April 15th, I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join