It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now what, Merkel ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   
We've been told that Angela Merkel will step down as Chancellor of Germany in 2021.

But what if she doesn't ?

Merkel has built a reputation of undermining other politicians who could conceivably be serious rivals for her. They have a way of being shunted into dead-end jobs and ultimately going nowhere.

Conveniently, the appearance presented to the German people is that, amazingly, in a land of 80+ million people ... only one person is qualified to be the Chancellor. And this has gone on for fifteen years now.

So, recently, Merkel's supposed chosen successor (why is a politician in a country with democratic processes "choosing" their successor, or do I misunderstand ?) declared she was no longer interested in playing games and removed herself as the supposed successor. Now, a fellow named Merz looks like he may attempt to become the chancellor once Merkel decides the situation is stable enough to allow herself to step down. (Yeah: sarcasm -- but for all the world, that is the appearance lent by the limp, Gro-Ko rag that German politics have become).

Therefore, the question becomes: WILL Merkel step down in 2021 ? Or will she decide, because of crisis this and crisis that, that she simply can't leave office ... and be supported in such a decision by under-the-table deal making of Gro-Ko parties ?

Nun was, Merkel ?

Cheers
edit on 12-3-2020 by F2d5thCavv2 because: add image

edit on 12-3-2020 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:33 AM
link   
She is done with politics...
And she ate her own face while she aggressively removed any possible candidate for a successor in the past years.

I do not think that Merkel will stay past 2021, but Merz.. is not a good choice, but it might be a way for the CDU to reclaim lost rightwing conservative points, which they lost by cuddling up to the SPD, which lost themselves a lot of their old ideas moving to the center to join the CDU.

Maybe with Merz the lost intensity about progressive-conservative fights between CDU and SPD might be revived, and therefore pulling more people to the votings for "their" party, so we might get a little more kind of a discussion in parliament instead of the boring GroKo.

I just have a bad feeling about Merz and his pro-ultracapitalism way.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Thanks MfE. I am hoping the Germans and other Europeans will contribute to this thread.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Merkel , the very embodiment of the UN controlled EU.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

She doesn't "step down", she has as party leader of the CDU last year, but that's a different issue. Traditionally the party leader was always the candidate for chancellor.
But in Germany we don't vote for the chancellor but for the party which then nominates the chancellor.
Chances are it won't be the CDU candidate next year, because Bündnis 90 Die Grünen is rising in popularity, which I think is supercool because the next German chancellor might be a philosopher.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

But in Germany we don't vote for the chancellor but for the party which then nominates the chancellor.

Peeple, okay, I understand that. But what I don't understand is the parties opting for these ineffective Gro-Ko governments in increasingly awkward arrangements -- while keeping Merkel as chancellor for 15 years.

It sounds like back room deals have been made time and again that are operating against democratic processes in German politics.

I get it -- technically, all is proper -- but the reality of the situation doesn't lend an impression of democracy.

Is this a topic at all among the Germans ? Hard to tell looking in from the outside.

Cheers
edit on 13-3-2020 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-3-2020 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

You underestimate how popular "Mutti" still is. Besides it's a German thing, we like continuity. Think Kohl for example. We bitch, we whine but change isn't really an option, if we're given a choice.
That's the Russian half maybe, don't know why but it just is.

I mean historically there was once a kind of almost revolution when they banned beer. That was it.
And do you know the story of the Hauptmann von Köpenick
That tells you a lot about German mentality.
So much hasn't changed since then we just put away the uniforms and replaced it with titles.

edit on 13-3-2020 by Peeple because: add

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I heard she was a decent leader up until the refugee debacle....should have held a little stonger

new topics

top topics

join