It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Tax - Good or bad for people?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Many policymakers, scholars, government agencies and international organizations have favored global taxes in recent years, to solve global problems.

More and more, citizen groups are calling for this tax-based approach, even though the United States government has blocked intergovernmental discussions and negotiations.

Most interest in global taxes has concentrated on two policy goals -- taxation as a means to regulate carbon emissions into the atmosphere (Carbon Tax/Energy Tax) and taxation to reduce currency speculation (Tobin Tax/Currency Transaction Tax).

Global taxes can be implemented.There is a need for democratic oversight and control, there are policy shaping effects, distributive effects, and the possible use of such taxes to fund the UN, its agencies like the World Health Organization, and other programs for worldwide human security and development would benefit from it.

Some examples of Global taxes are

Currency Transaction Taxes

Energy Taxes

Aviation Fuel Taxes

Email Taxes

Can you think of any others? Are global taxes good for people? I think they can help us control the world by the people as well as generate income to deal with the problems of the world.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
You working and advocating on behalf of the UN now, OOPS?
Maybe for Chirac?

Chirac calls for global tax to fight AIDS
Global Taxes Are Back, Watch Your Wallet

Don't trust either one.
Question: Will it be a 'flat tax' proposal involved?

seekerof

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
With no world government, there is no sense in any general global tax, especially since one can't 'vote with your feet' and leave.

The global organizations in the world need to do quite a bit more before than can reasonably expect to collect taxes from the general public.

On trying to regulate particular things, like currency exchange, well, why? Why not let the market sort it out?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Global tax means taking money from Americans and giving it to rulers of poor countries, who will blow it on luxuries for themselves and not give it to any of their own people.

As an American i don't see how it will help me at all.

My comment to other countries is that you have the same ability to create wealth as the Americans or the Japanese or the Singaporeans do. So what's keeping you from doing so?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
As an American i don't see how it will help me at all.

Indeed, people pay taxes because its beneficial to them. Paying a global tax, certainly in this day and age, isn't going to benefit anyone really.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I am already taxed to death in Canada as it is. No way in hell am I going to pay anymore taxes, unless it was for third world population control.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Global tax means taking money from Americans and giving it to rulers of poor countries, who will blow it on luxuries for themselves and not give it to any of their own people.

This post says it all and should be the end of this story - IMHO.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

This post says it all and should be the end of this story - IMHO.

CENTURION: YOU CONSTANTLY COME INTO MY POSTS AND TELL PEOPLE TO IGNORE ME LIKE YOU HAVE. IF YOU HAVE IGNORED ME YOU CAN'T EVEN COME INTO MY POSTINGS BECAUSE YOU WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SEE THEM. YOU ARE A LIAR. YOU ARE ALSO COMING INTO MY THREADS WITH NEGATIVE ENERGY. IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME GO AWAY.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
There is absolutely nothing preventing centurion from expressing his disagreement with you or his opinion that the stuff you bring up is meaningless. With the exception of 'one liner' violations, he's done nothing wrong. This is not 'your' thread, you don't own it, you merely made a post that other people have responded to.

I've seen you make similar posts when you feel he's doing the same thing in other threads. Its rather silly. If he is not contributing to the conversation, then don't respond. By responding, you are discussing and by discussing you are invalidating your own charge of him not adding anything to the discussion. Its silly really. People aren't going to not respond in this thread merely because he notes that O T S summed up his feelings almost exactly. Certainly not anymore than he is not going to respond to other threads he comes across merely because you don't want him to.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
There is no way i am going to pay even more tax for this, not a chance!
I would pay more for space exploration and long term beneficial science like fusion, stem cell research and nano tech but not this giving to dictators of the third world rubbish, which is exactly what would happen right now.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Oh yeah, the Global Tax is a great idea. It'll work just like the "Oil for Food" program.

Sorry, but we already do MORE than our fair share.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
How could we enforce a global tax when majority of the world can barely afford to live?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
How could we enforce a global tax when majority of the world can barely afford to live?

The real definition of ''global tax'' is ''taxing the west'' which is logical since we have all the wealth but still the money will not be used properly i would be willing to bet my £tax on that.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I am sorry but the global tax idea sucks.

For me thats all there is to it - the US and a few other western countries get taxed more so that some African warlord or harsh dictator can take MY money and spend it on what HE sees fit.

Screw that.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Asking if a global tax is good or bad is like asking if taxes are good or bad. People who think taxes are evil will come down against a global tax people more realist will be more open minded. Nobody likes taxes but they are necessary for civilized society. If the tax is going toward something benificial for the people then it is good if its going toward fattening some pigs wallet then its bad. Thats my opinion at least .

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
we start with countries that are polluting other countries airspace.we would make lots of money for canada if we start taxing usa.detriot is one big abuser i can think of that needs a tax.hey lets give it a try.

top topics

join