It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBA Suspends Rest of Season Over Coronavirus Fears

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Oh boy, I'm going to miss the NBA. Now don't laugh, but I'm a knick fan.

This will be a lot of money the teams will be losing if this goes into the playoffs. Your talking about 15 million a game!

And what if they have to pay the players? I don't think they will unless there is something in the union contract.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

no i see them doing it due to liability, the same reason why any business who doesn't do something faces a liability lawsuit. What happens if a business does nothing? A great example, you work at mcdonalds and you go a sick employee and you let him work, as a result he infects 200 people. 3 people die as a result. those 3 peoples families sue Mcdonalds for 1 million each, due to recklessness. thats 3 million dollars in profit out the door. You take that to the next step, a stadium on 80,000 people. 800 die, 800,000,000 in lawsuits. There went your profits, name brand, etc. Its cheaper to shut down and take the hit, then fight the lawsuits.

Camain

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Yeah.

I think after today, people will finally take this seriously.

You'd think anyway, still hearing a lot of "this is a conspiracy against Trump"

Why can't it be both?

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGoondockSaint

Watch the NCAA tournament get suspended, NFL draft, opening day of MLB baseball.

Yet all the Disney parks remain open...let that sink in....don’t they care about the children? Funny how they can also get around the 1000 person gathering bans in France. Something with all of this just doesn’t seem to add up at all.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It seems people, shockingly (sarcasm) are polarized to two opposite extremes. On one side, tank the economy in fear, on the other side, spread it far and wide as fast as possible so old people are dying in droves, unable to access life-saving respiratory therapy.

I believe only a tiny percentage of extremely ignorant healthy people are worried about the virus itself for themselves. The concern is overwhelming the healthcare system if we don't work to slow the spread. 80k in Wuhan would be a LOT more if they just went about business as usual.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Now, MLS has suspended its season until further notice. Good thing I didn't get season tickets.

Twitter

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

.6% fatality rate would be great. I'm already expecting it to drop to at least 1% when more tests are available.
Keep in mind, though, that .6 is still 6 times higher than the seasonal flu. So far, seasonal flu has killed around 20k in the U.S.
So far, Covid-19 is proving to be extremely contagious. If this thing peaks too high/too quickly, we're running the risk of overwhelming our healthcare system. If that occurs, it could have a dramatic effect on ANYONE seeking urgent healthcare, not just those with the virus. Think heart attacks, strokes, etc. Not to mention disruptions in the supply chain may cause shortages of the appropriate treatments for the virus or otherwise.
I understand that many who contract this will show mild to no symptoms. In a way, that's what makes this as dangerous as it is. It can be spread for weeks with no symptoms being shown by the carrier. That exponentially increases the odds that it will find it's way to those who are at risk.
I'm not suggesting anyone panic or freak out. I'm only suggesting people take this seriously and take very basic steps to help prevent the spread to those who are at risk and to mitigate the impact it will have on our healthcare system. As members of the herd, I see it as everyone's responsibility.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: infolurker

Yeah.

I think after today, people will finally take this seriously.

You'd think anyway, still hearing a lot of "this is a conspiracy against Trump"

Why can't it be both?

Well, sure, politicians in general will not let something like this go to waste..as pathetic as that is..hell, Trump blamed Italy

A conspiracy to me would mean this whole virus thing was cooked up by Dems/media and that simply is not the case. The virus is very real, the Dems/media may have overplayed it a bit..but that is debatable to some, I think maybe they have, but by the same token, the WH initial response was the polar opposite..it's nothing, that was a bit irresponsible. Saying it only effect the old or compromised, while mostly true..thats 60-70 million people. If this spreads like the flu it's so often compared to..going to be ugly.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join