It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Crisis Approaching, what will you do?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehamsamiam
The problem is oil tycoons have too much power in the national government and any movement to switch to bio-fuels will be stomped out. Also the price of this stuff is too high now because there is no large scale production of this stuff, all that will change especially when gas at the pump hits $4 a gallon.

This is a typical problem of the left, you believe the crap you type like a programed robot.

There is no such thing as the Left or Right. And your intrested in this site AboveTopSecret? LOL! 4 Words for ya:

Skull And Bones Society. Republicans and Democrats both belong to the same secret society. Which means they take orders from the same exact leader.

First of all we are not having a crisis. china and India are bidding for the oil along with us, europe and Asia. Now that is why oil is so high.

1. There are more cars on the roads now than 10 years, 20 years, 30 years ago. Oil right now is used to make virtually everything, including cloths, food, construction materials, the computer your using, containers, wappings, just about everything. More oil is being used, and less oil is left. This is why the price of oil is higher. Do you honestly believe the supply of oil is infinate? LOL!

2. China, and Asia are already starting to INVADE South America. Namely, Venezuela, which has large oil reserves. Asia is doing an economic invasion of S. America. After the middle east, and S. America, Africa is next in the amount of usefull known oil reserves.

I will not contest the greed of an oil barron but as far as alternitive fuels I would have to say that when the time comes it will be the same oil companies you hate now that will be suppling the new fuel to you. They own the gas stations and pipe lines to distribute fuel. Why would it make a difference to mobile or sunoco if they sold bio disiel or fosil fuel if they made the same money or more in the end? It is easier to get to corn then build a platform in the ocean and drill for oil.

Your horribly incorrect, misinformed, and in brutal denial. If and when oil runs out, the oil companies, and any company will not be able to supply alternative fuels. Read all of the article. The guy goes into brutal detail why alternative fuels will not work, will never work, can't work.

The reason we had relitivly cheaper gas during the clinton years is he tapped into the nations reserves to offset the problem we see today. Bush spent 4 years refilling the reserves because they are for national emergencies, war and not for times like these.

OK, now your delusional, and on the verge of going insane. You claim George Bush REFILLED the US oil reserves? OMG! LOL! And ummm...... what did he refil the US oil reserves with? How did he suddently make new oil out of nothing to (LOL) ... refill... the US oil reserves?

I hate paying these prices as much if not more then most. Owning 4 dump trucks a while back I used to spend 200 a day or more on fuel. Stop crying and do something to help. You want to save money start car pooling.

Americans still pay cheap prices for their oil. People in Europe pay roughly TWICE as much as Americans do.

Man, r-e-a-d everything at the link in the first post. The guy shows why alternative fuels will never happen, cannot happen, will never be done, can never be done. And it has nothing to do with oil shieks, oil barons. BTW, when oil does run out, it will be absolutly impossible to switch to alternative fuels. Why? Read the d--- article for the reasons why. All of the article.

And to anyone saying "Oh that guy is just one person. That's just one link". First the guy lists his sources. Second, the Wall Street Journal also ran a story on Peak Oil, which supports everything that guy is saying. In fact, the WSJ claims the USA is even further past peak oil production, than that guy at the link claims.

[edit on 12-3-2005 by OpenSecret2012]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Nygdan, I think you might want to read the entire article. It is explained in there that biofuels are not a viable alternative.

Personally I think this could be a new age of humanity, don't look at it as something bad, maybe something like, getting back to our roots.

We survived thousands of years without oil, and barely 100 with it, I think we'll be fine.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
yeah the hell with gas im gonna ride my bike 30 miles every day to and from work

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles

I think you might want to read the entire article.

The article is rhetoric, it'd've been better to highlight and explain the best supporting evidences. From what I gather of his pages, it looks like he simply states that oil is going to get too expensive to withdraw from the ground. IE, it will require more effort to take it out than to put it in. Problem is, this is based on there not being new oil fields, and there are, such as the anwr and the cuban fields, plus who knows what else. And if, and i stress if, oil is infact produced abiotically, then its all a moot point anyway. I doubt that tho.

Plus, he claims that the US government has known for decades about this, nad that its plan is to hasten the looming disaster, 'because its better to have it happen right when you expect it than not', which doesn't make sense, to make sure that a disaster happens in the here and now, rather than proloning its comming.

don't look at it as something bad, maybe something like, getting back to our roots.

If what this guy says is in fact true, then it'd be the worst disaster known to mankind. It'd result in the destruction of civilization, and a return to a sick primitive existence. It won't be a good thing.

We survived thousands of years without oil

And look at teh horrors of those years. Now there is at least the possibility of something better.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Hydrogen, Battery, Solar and Air power are my thoughts. I assume natural gas and hydro will be unaffected for the short term, so heat may be around a while longer.

Dallas

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I know this was mentioned earlier, about the theory that oil is actual made by a process within the earth., which is relatively new i believe. One of the reasons this theory has actually recieved some recognition is because the oil wells in the gulf of mexico are refilling themselves. There is also a rock known as oil shale, i believe, that basically has oil solidified into it. However the tech needed to extract the oil is not quite available yet.

Also to note the price of oil is often said to be related to the strength of the currency as well as the overall supply and demand.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by silentlonewolf
the oil wells in the gulf of mexico are refilling themselves.

This has nothing to do with abiotic sources of oil. An oil bearing rock will be drilled and somewhat drained. THe oil is 'slow' to move within the rock, so you can have a drill go dry. Then, the oil can 'resettle' and the well can become active again.

There is also a rock known as oil shale, i believe, that basically has oil solidified into it.

Shale is a sedimentary rock and oil found in it is produced by the biotic means.

Regardless, abiotic oil is an intersting theory.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by silentlonewolf
I know this was mentioned earlier, about the theory that oil is actual made by a process within the earth., which is relatively new i believe. One of the reasons this theory has actually recieved some recognition is because the oil wells in the gulf of mexico are refilling themselves. There is also a rock known as oil shale, i believe, that basically has oil solidified into it. However the tech needed to extract the oil is not quite available yet.

Also to note the price of oil is often said to be related to the strength of the currency as well as the overall supply and demand.

I remember the University of kY doing a project for the Energy people where they cored into shale deposits to get an estimate of how much of this type of shale there was. That was a couple decades ago and I forget the proper designation of this shale. However, the ability to extract it is available, according to what I was told by the lead geologist but no where closed to cost effective. Now, with oil at this high price, we may see capped wells re-opened in the US. When oil prices drop so low, companies will not pump their own oil for the cheap price and so they cap them but its has to get really expensive before they incur the cost of start-up again.

The oil fields refilling themselves is a good sign of oil surging to the surface but as Nygdan pointed out, the viscosity of it allows it continue to seep through the fractured rock bedding planes into the reservoirs again laterally as well. I think the theory should be looked at more closely, however.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by MrJingles

I think you might want to read the entire article.

The article is rhetoric, it'd've been better to highlight and explain the best supporting evidences.

The article cannot be "highlighted" because every single page is stuffed with brain pounding info. You have to take the free time and read it all.

From what I gather of his pages, it looks like he simply states that oil is going to get too expensive to withdraw from the ground. IE, it will require more effort to take it out than to put it in. Problem is, this is based on there not being new oil fields, and there are, such as the anwr and the cuban fields,

Man, read every single page. Even if it takes you 2 weeks, read every page. The guy lists how much oil the US alone uses in 1 year! Then there's the fact that US consumption is increasing every year!
Oil fields in Cuba are nothing to what the US need for just 1 month of consumption! LOL!

plus who knows what else. And if, and i stress if, oil is infact produced abiotically, then its all a moot point anyway. I doubt that tho.

The guy in that article covers this "arguement" too! The "oh there might be something else we don't know about that will take care of everything". Heheheh.

Plus, he claims that the US government has known for decades about this, nad that its plan is to hasten the looming disaster, 'because its better to have it happen right when you expect it than not', which doesn't make sense, to make sure that a disaster happens in the here and now, rather than proloning its comming.

And what's your point?
Do a google search for "SUV Taxbreaks".
You post what he said, then you don't post any tries at rebutting it.
Do you agree? Disagree and why?

Or maybe you're terrified at this thought, and its taking time to sink in. Don't worry, you still have 8 to 50 years left before the current American, and world lifestyle drastically changes back to how it was in the 1700s.
(Only difference is back then there were 50% less people.) So you'll have insane numbers of people dying off.

don't look at it as something bad, maybe something like, getting back to our roots.

If what this guy says is in fact true, then it'd be the worst disaster known to mankind. It'd result in the destruction of civilization, and a return to a sick primitive existence. It won't be a good thing.

We survived thousands of years without oil

And look at teh horrors of those years. Now there is at least the possibility of something better.

No it won't be the worse ever disaster. It will be just another disaster in the history of disasters. And as always, those who prepare for it, have the best chances of surviving it. Or if they die, at least they'll know why they died. They can die not being in a panic.
"OMG! What's going on?! What's going on! Somebody help meeeeee!!!"
vs...
"Ahhh, it finally happened. And I know why. Ah well, it was good while it lasted."

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Well I would get a Prius...except I'm not sure I would be able to handle driving one. Yesterday I was riding shotgun in one when we were stopped at a traffic light I saw a button that said power, figuring it powered the stereo or something I just had to push it. And then the entire car turned off. Good thing I didn't push it when first tempted on the highway!

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpenSecret2012
The article cannot be "highlighted" because every single page is stuffed with brain pounding info.

If there is an arguemnt for Peak Oil, that oil resources are running out very quickly and that extraction will cost more than can be garnered from the oil, then it can't be a 'diffuse' argument. Its got to be one that can be succinctly presented.

Man, read every single page.

I will not. I did not see anything that warrants that. What from the pages warrant that?

And what's your point?

IF Peak Oil is real and unsolvable and the 'government' knows about it, they are not going to go to extremes in order to ensure that the oil economy crashes 'now' rather than later, and they certainly aren't going to go to war to get more of the limited oil, especially when the author even states that the war wasn't 'cost effective'. It simply doesn't make sense. IF peak oil was real they'd've invaded Iran when teh shah was overthrown and hussein would be in power today with american rather than soviet tanks and working quickly to pump more oil over to his american masters. The US would've done everything in its power to ensure that they have all the oil, stored up in their country, not sit back and allow it to be sold on the open market. And they'd certainly've made sure that siberian and other russian oil fields were up an running to make sure that, 20 years from now, Russian ships aren't patroling the world's oceans and russian tanks aren't rumbling past the residents oxcart in DC.

No it won't be the worse ever disaster. It will be just another disaster in the history of disasters.

The global population is in the billions because of oil. In the immediately pre-industrial times, cities were lucky to number in the millions. If Peak Oil is true, its the greatest human catastrophe, except perhaps bested by the 'great bottleneck' that almost wiped out the species.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpenSecret2012
The article cannot be "highlighted" because every single page is stuffed with brain pounding info.

If there is an arguemnt for Peak Oil, that oil resources are running out very quickly and that extraction will cost more than can be garnered from the oil, then it can't be a 'diffuse' argument. Its got to be one that can be succinctly presented.

The thing is this: The guy in that article constantly presents his sources in the text, as well as at the end. Also by getting everyone to read the entire article, it keeps anything from being taken out of context. That guy in the article explicitly covers every single popular question anyone could bring up.

Man, read every single page.

I will not. I did not see anything that warrants that. What from the pages warrant that?

It is your choice. This shows you do not take this subject seriously. When anyone takes a subejct seriously, one goes all out to do a through examination of it. Including reading ALL available material - not looking for highlights, shortcuts, "cliffnotes". You have decided your time is not worth the effort to read the entire article. Nothing wrong with that - as long as its your choice.

To all the other lurkers, and forum posters, out there, I suggest you read the entire article yourself, before you form any opinions, any conclusions. The link is in the first post on page 1.

And what's your point?

IF Peak Oil is real and unsolvable and the 'government' knows about it, they are not going to go to extremes in order to ensure that the oil economy crashes 'now' rather than later,

It comes to what you say, vs the proof out there. One blatant example is how the US goverment for the past few years has on purpose given all SUV owners insane tax breaks! Not little tax breaks, but insane tax breaks. And this is only for SUV owners. Which means what? The goverment is 1 million percent encouraging the mass population to waste as much oil and gas as possible. Which does what? Fast forwards peak oil, fast forwards the oil crash.
Don't worry, at the current rate of US consumption it will be 8 to 40 years before life as we know it, and are used to living, drastically changes, which will lead to half the world population dieing off.

and they certainly aren't going to go to war to get more of the limited oil, especially when the author even states that the war wasn't 'cost effective'. It simply doesn't make sense. IF peak oil was real they'd've invaded Iran when teh shah was overthrown and hussein would be in power today with american rather than soviet tanks and working quickly to pump more oil over to his american masters. The US would've done everything in its power to ensure that they have all the oil, stored up in their country, not sit back and allow it to be sold on the open market.

Of course it doesn't make sense... for you and me. But for them yes it does. They don't care about you and me and everyone else. They have their fortresses with non-oil based energy sources set up. Their private armies. Everything they need to survive a world with almost no oil, to no oil at all.
The USA already invaded Iran. I have friends who came over from Iraq between 1 year ago and now. They tell me "Hell yeah we're in Iran". Their commanding officers first have them take off their dog tags. When and if they make it back across the border back to Iraq, they have to sign special papers saying they know nothing. Just like in Vietnam when the US was going into Cambodia, at the same time denying it.
The USA invaded Iraq for the Oil. If you choose not to believe it, it's your choice. The US is exerting power in the middle east for the rest of the oil.
Research a little nothing company called "Haliburton". Guess who its former high officer was? After he became US vice president, Haliburton gets all the oil, natural gas, contracts in the middle east, as well as other contracts.

And they'd certainly've made sure that siberian and other russian oil fields were up an running to make sure that, 20 years from now, Russian ships aren't patroling the world's oceans and russian tanks aren't rumbling past the residents oxcart in DC.

And again, this is why you should, and need, to read the entire article. It answers every possible question anyone can think of... including your comment about the Russian oil fields. BTW, the majority of Russian oil cannot be used because it's under a year round layer of permafrost. It would cost far, far, more to take it out, than anyone could sell it for.

No it won't be the worse ever disaster. It will be just another disaster in the history of disasters.

The global population is in the billions because of oil. In the immediately pre-industrial times, cities were lucky to number in the millions. If Peak Oil is true, its the greatest human catastrophe, except perhaps bested by the 'great bottleneck' that almost wiped out the species.

At the very end of his article are links to other articles he wrote, and other sites, that will help anyone who wants to prepare right now. Special methods for growing food on limited supplies of land. Non-ammo weapons. Body armor. Building your own personal fortress. The pros and cons of remaining in a city (urban area). The pros and cons of remaining in the countryside (non-urban area.)

Guess what? You on your own have supported one of the biggest points the guy in the article makes! That oil is the reason why the human population has exploded. He even has a chart showing how the world population shot up with each jump in world oil production. He then goes on to talk about some famous, but little known, science studies about what happens to life whenever a huge energy source is encountered.
Like that study with the deer on the island that had insane amounts of food supply.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Peak oil production is good as it brings about change, when change happens its a good time to bring out new technology that is more Mother Earth Friendly. World Change never happens unless its foreced so I say bring on peak oil production and give Mother Earth a break.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join