It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Crisis Approaching, what will you do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Many people have heard that oil won't run out for another forty years or so, however this is not the problem, peak oil production is. My physics teacher brought this up in class one day, and I figured the best way to maybe slow it down is to educate people about it.

If you don't really know what peak oil production is, you can google it, or
click here

It's pretty scary stuff to think about at first, but my teacher told us not to worry, we'll survive.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The solution is simple: www.hempcar.org...
The problem is oil tycoons have too much power in the national government and any movement to switch to bio-fuels will be stomped out. Also the price of this stuff is too high now because there is no large scale production of this stuff, all that will change especially when gas at the pump hits $4 a gallon.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by jrod]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Here is another link from the same site that outlines why biofuels are so much better:www.hempcar.org...

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
mrjingles, what a great but horrifying read. Were certainly on our way to a painful existance. I'll probably check-out before it gets too ugly but my kids will never understand what kept us from running this world without conssidering their existance.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
Many people have heard that oil won't run out for another forty years or so, however this is not the problem, peak oil production is. My physics teacher brought this up in class one day, and I figured the best way to maybe slow it down is to educate people about it.

If you don't really know what peak oil production is, you can google it, or
click here

It's pretty scary stuff to think about at first, but my teacher told us not to worry, we'll survive.

I and my friends know about that link. The fact that you also know about it means you are ahead of 95% of everyone!
BTW, American oil has already run out years ago. Need proof? The Wall Street Journal did a coverstory about it. On the front page of the WSJ they even had a chart showing how US oil production went straight down. The funniest part is the Wall Street Journal on purpose stopped at the year 2000. Of course we are now in 2005 heheh.
The US was forced to invade the middle east because the US has no more oil left to keep up its current lifestyle, economy, way of living.

But as that guy who made that article you linked to (I knew about it roughly 6 months ago. Still good reading!), the US on purpose is fast forwarding oil use. (Bush giving massive tax breaks to owners of SUVs for example) The idea is to have a disaster happen when they know when it will happen... instead of trying to save oil and not knowing for sure exactly when the oil disaster will happen.

==============================
To the rest of you thinking about Bio-Fuels, and other alternative fuels, it is proof you have NOT read everything at that link. The guy goes into detail about why bio-fuels will not work, cannot work! Read it alllll !!! And it has nothing to do with Oil barons being in the way. (That's just 1 reason, there's another reason, even IF the oil barons, goverment, suddently went full steam ahead into trying to switch over to non oil fuels. It still cannot be done!)

[edit on 11-3-2005 by OpenSecret2012]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpenSecret2012
Bush giving massive tax breaks to owners of SUVs for example

Oh? This is the first I have heard of this. The good people at
H&R Block where we do our taxes told us nothing of this. What
'massive tax break' are you talking about? Would you care to
educate us on this please?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Remember that these oil barons are actually oil shieks, don't even try to blame this on some white american dude. You are the ones consuming all the energy. How much power are you wasting by sitting in front of your computer all day?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The problem is oil tycoons have too much power in the national government and any movement to switch to bio-fuels will be stomped out. Also the price of this stuff is too high now because there is no large scale production of this stuff, all that will change especially when gas at the pump hits $4 a gallon.

This is a typical problem of the left, you believe the crap you type like a programed robot.

First of all we are not having a crisis. china and India are bidding for the oil along with us, europe and Asia. Now that is why oil is so high. I will not contest the greed of an oil barron but as far as alternitive fuels I would have to say that when the time comes it will be the same oil companies you hate now that will be suppling the new fuel to you. They own the gas stations and pipe lines to distribute fuel. Why would it make a difference to mobile or sunoco if they sold bio disiel or fosil fuel if they made the same money or more in the end? It is easier to get to corn then build a platform in the ocean and drill for oil. The reason we had relitivly cheaper gas during the clinton years is he tapped into the nations reserves to offset the problem we see today. Bush spent 4 years refilling the reserves because they are for national emergencies, war and not for times like these. I hate paying these prices as much if not more then most. Owning 4 dump trucks a while back I used to spend 200 a day or more on fuel. Stop crying and do something to help. You want to save money start car pooling.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
and I figured the best way to maybe slow it down is to educate people about it.

Peak oil is not real. There's still a ton of oil in the ground, and more in untapped reserves. Even cuba has recently found large oil fields off its coast. The ANWR fields are, even at low estimates, thought to be able to produce extremely larges amounts of oil for daily consumption. THere are still more un searched fields in the Gulf of Mexico.

Because it won't happen.

jrod
The problem is oil tycoons have too much power in the national government and any movement to switch to bio-fuels will be stomped out

Except that the car manufacturing companies are constantly promoting no-gas and gas reduced vechiles and engines.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The cost of extracting these vast oil fields u talk of is considerably higher than the black gold type oil, although still feasible the cost may not merit the drilling production, we dont want a situation wher it takes half a barrel of oil to extract a barrel...what a waste.
The sooner we move to fusion and hydro the better, lets get ItER some serious funding then we can worry about something else.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Also, another consideration which is covered better in another thread is the idea that oil isn't really fossil based but made deep within the earth from natural carbon sources. The trouble with any current scientist..and has been so throughout the ages, is that they think they know everything there is to know. Oh, how we have seen that one time and time again. I think we have a great number of people who "choose" to remain ignorant about these theories because it better serves their doom and gloom agenda. Why men seem to want to always be on the"brink of a crisis" I'll never understand but that too has been something we've gotten used to.

In all likelyhood, most oil is produced deep within the earth and pushed to the surface in much the same way magma is only not as explosively as we see evidence of millions of barrells seeping into the ocean through undersea vents...in fact much more in one day than has ever been lost in a maritime dissaster.

But, I will conceed one point. The cost of obtaining and refining is a huge problem. Its long been known that hemp could help solve this problem and so many others and that , in fact, hemp is an all around good product if not for its demonization by the DuPonts and Rockefellers..not to mention the Southern Cotton Growers Association. Industrial hemp contains virtually no THC and would be easy to manage and regulate with today's GIS technology and yet we see it lumped right in there with it's cousin just as if it were a pshcotropic drug. The agenda behind this is about far more than someone using it to get high. If these powerful industries cared so much about that, they would have stopped making a bloody fortune off the China Opium trade now wouldn't they? I think its high time (no pun intended) for a push for legalization of industrial hemp.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Oil as a fuel source is pretty antiquated, people need to realise that we can have much better fuel sources if political weight is put behind the RnD effort , hydrogen is coming but at a pathetically slow rate.....i get annoyed thinking about it.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo3
we dont want a situation wher it takes half a barrel of oil to extract a barrel...what a waste.
The sooner we move to fusion

I don't understand how you can say that the anwr fields aren't worth it, but that fusion tech, which doesn't even exist, and probably won't ever, is somehow a viable alternative.

astrocreep
The trouble with any current scientist..and has been so throughout the ages, is that they think they know everything there is to know.

Not for nothing, but the abiogenic theory of oil production is a scientific theory, thought up by scientists. 'Science' has to be 'resistant' to new ideas, so that those new ideas go thru a rigourous process that, once they pass, ensures that they are accepted. Abiogentic oil is an interesting theory. Its not something that has widespread support. This is not because of 'small mindedness' or stubborness. Indeed, oil geologists and oil companies would have much to benefit from being able to tape ginormous oild fields.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I have no doubt we'll survive-but we'll also probably go broke from the process!

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
There is a general consensus amongst Physicists that fusion will work if the reactor can be made large enough, how can u say it will probably never work when clearly there is a good chance that it eventually will.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Oil Crisis Approaching, what will you do?

What else can we do except bend over and take our medicine?
And of course, make sure our next car purchased is a hybrid....

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehamsamiam

This is a typical problem of the left, you believe the crap you type like a programed robot.

First of all we are not having a crisis. china and India are bidding for the oil along with us, europe and Asia. Now that is why oil is so high. I will not contest the greed of an oil barron but as far as alternitive fuels I would have to say that when the time comes it will be the same oil companies you hate now that will be suppling the new fuel to you. They own the gas stations and pipe lines to distribute fuel. Why would it make a difference to mobile or sunoco if they sold bio disiel or fosil fuel if they made the same money or more in the end? It is easier to get to corn then build a platform in the ocean and drill for oil. The reason we had relitivly cheaper gas during the clinton years is he tapped into the nations reserves to offset the problem we see today. Bush spent 4 years refilling the reserves because they are for national emergencies, war and not for times like these. I hate paying these prices as much if not more then most. Owning 4 dump trucks a while back I used to spend 200 a day or more on fuel. Stop crying and do something to help. You want to save money start car pooling.

Are you getting paid to reassure us nothing is wrong with the oil supply?

Fuel prices now in the USA very reasonable, much cheaper than Europe. dont they pay something like $4.00/gal, $1.00/liter?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
My apologies, I thought you meant Cold Fusion, my haste was my waste.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

==============================
To the rest of you thinking about Bio-Fuels, and other alternative fuels, it is proof you have NOT read everything at that link. The guy goes into detail about why bio-fuels will not work, cannot work! Read it alllll !!! And it has nothing to do with Oil barons being in the way. (That's just 1 reason, there's another reason, even IF the oil barons, goverment, suddently went full steam ahead into trying to switch over to non oil fuels. It still cannot be done!)

[edit on 11-3-2005 by OpenSecret2012]

One link to an article written by one guy is not a good argument against it. Bio-fuels will be what we rely on. Of course there is no way that they will be able to produce a constantly growing supply if fuel like petrolium has throughout the 1900's but crops grown for bio-fuels will be a huge business. It will reshape the economy.

So what if we loose some of our modern luxuries, like cheap travel, cheap electricity and AC, no more dollar menu at McDs, ect..... I can handle it, I know how grow a garden, I can tolerate a little heat in the summer and build a fire in the winter, and my sailboat will still take me on vacation with or without oil.

Many wont be able to take the new world, just as along as anarchy and riots doesnt break out when fuel and the cost of living nice goes up I will be content.

Deep down I think it is for the better, too many Americans are so materialistic and stuck up with arrogence about social issues, a crisis like this will be a slap in the face for many, they just dont know how good they have it now.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Bush giving massive tax breaks to owners of SUVs for example

Oh? This is the first I have heard of this. The good people at
H&R Block where we do our taxes told us nothing of this. What
'massive tax break' are you talking about? Would you care to
educate us on this please?

You need to fire your accountant. Because this is old news heheh:

www.detnews.com...

top topics