It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dollar Under Fire

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by CAConrad0825
That is another thing we should have taken care of a long time ago...debt is not a freebie that the US can ignore. However the gold standard could still help the US. What is a dollar worth? We have no control over our currency. It's a like a sports car with no breaks, so what if it goes from 0-60 in 3 seconds, how do you slow down for the turns?

Amount of dollars in circulation, rediscount rates, rates on T-bonds and other government borrowing- a lot more flexible than Gold.

'today the price of gold is $412'
'today the price of gold is $318'

gosh- what happened? Well, over night Italy (large gold reserves) dumped 1 million ozs. on the market-or- a new gold field was discovered!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
That is Because EVERYTHING is a PART of the Free-Market! What you just mentioned was an Issue of Supply & Demand. The Supply was just Increased - how the Demand doing? Economic Theory is Fun right?!

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Free market is the best form of economy in my opionion. All goverment regulation does is interfere with the invisible hand that controls supply and demand. It's a shame that the founders of this nation are ignored about economic policy but paraded around whenever the subject of civil rights comes up. The right to prosper is better than freedom of speech rights, however I am not a fan of silencing the people. Off on tangent: Thank you ATS for ending censorship if you have enough points. Stop the censorship!

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Free market is the best form of economy in my opionion. All goverment regulation does is interfere with the invisible hand that controls supply and demand. It's a shame that the founders of this nation are ignored about economic policy but paraded around whenever the subject of civil rights comes up. The right to prosper is better than freedom of speech rights, however I am not a fan of silencing the people.

I can tell you and I are NOT going to do well in the same threads
''The right to prosper is better than freedom of speech rights''
Nope, not well at all.

That's fine though, free market pundits can believe what they want. go to an open market sometime soon (not just vegetables) and see what you end up with.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

Free market is the best form of economy in my opionion. All goverment regulation does is interfere with the invisible hand that controls supply and demand. It's a shame that the founders of this nation are ignored about economic policy but paraded around whenever the subject of civil rights comes up. The right to prosper is better than freedom of speech rights, however I am not a fan of silencing the people.

I can tell you and I are NOT going to do well in the same threads
''The right to prosper is better than freedom of speech rights''
Nope, not well at all.

That's fine though, free market pundits can believe what they want. go to an open market sometime soon (not just vegetables) and see what you end up with.

Read the whole quote. I believe that the key to maintaining the right to free speech comes with increased prosperity. Look at the rate of prosperity versus freedoms. Anytime in the history of the world, the better people lived the less government control. A government has nothing to fear if people are not starving in the streets shouting for reform.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
A low US dollar can make US companies more competitive against other economies.

thanks,
drfunk

Bingo.

Thats why I think they are letting the dollar keep dropping. Since the dollar will be worth less, we can export more crap.

Its interesting to note that while the white collar world has been shrinking, in the US, manufacturing and production facilities and jobs are on the rise.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Its interesting to note that while the white collar world has been shrinking, in the US, manufacturing and production facilities and jobs are on the rise.

Didn't know that. That is good news.

I'll have to look in to it more.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Didn't know that. That is good news.

I'll have to look in to it more.

Could this be an economic display of "What does not kill me makes me stronger" ? Maybe this is a form of economic pruning, which can be good. Competition is vital to a strong economy.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Quote: "the Free Market is the Best Form of Economy in my opinion."

Yes I agree with you my friend - Free Market Capitalism is Defiantly the most Superior System! I love the built-in Flexibility - it never ceases to amaze me! It works well! THANK GOD for the Free Market! Hopefully the U.S.A. will remain committed to the exercise of Free Markets for a very long time!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
But, it isn't a free market!!
In a free market, the amount people earn would have a part in the pricing of products. Our government and bankers make it so that it doesn't matter how much you earn, since there is always the social service programs and well, if you don't qualify for them, well, here, have another credit card!!!

and the same can be said regarding businesses. It doesn't matter how poorly you run your company!! YA, you can still pay below living wages to most of your employees and generously reward your select few that you chose. Don't worry, you most likely won't lose them, since hey, they won't starve, the tax payer will pay for their food! and well, if that doesn't help, their loads of tax credits, grants, to help you out. and if all else fails, their the credit or shady deals with the government to help you out!!!

I don't see either party heading supporting anything that resembles a free market...and the two together, seems to lead us to a point where 99% of the population is working for peanuts and living off of the government handouts. The dems don't want the poor lacking anything, the republicans don't want the businesses lacking anything. the rest of us can just go to hades for all they care!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Well a "Free" Market doesn’t mean that you don't have to Work & Earn Money - it just means that you have more of an Opportunity to do so! If you think that you can Provide a Product or Service better than the other guy then you are "Free" to start up a Company to Challenge them! Also if you are not Interested in a Companies Product/Service or believe that it is too Expensive (the Cost is too High) - then you don't have to Buy it! The Effect of Supply & Demand on Market Valuations is quite remarkable! In other words you are "Free" to judge the Value of things yourself & Trade as you choose!

Competition is what is so Great about our System - it helps to keep pushing Prices Down & moves Innovation Forward - Improving the Quality, Quantity, Selection/Choices and Availability of various Products & Services! After all what other Modern Countries are out there with all of the Various Industries & Sectors that the U.S. contains within its Economy? England - Japan - Germany - that is it really! There seems to be another New Industry Starting in the U.S. all the Time! Maybe I am just a Geek - but this Excites me!

As for the Government - I agree they usually do just end up getting in the way - but you do need some sort of Regulation after all - I just don't Trust Corporations to "Regulate Themselves" (Not that I really Trust the Gov either)!

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
you don't really need regulation, because regulation can be shifted with enough money...just look at the FDA. The consumer is the ultimate factor in the economy, if they don't like a product they won't buy it. Deregulation of the market would not only lead to prosperity but also a surplus in the government. Just look at the amount of tax payer money that is spent on regulation...the agricultural committess findings of a new pesticide: 2047 pages. Nuf said

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Yeah but they spend a lot of Effort, Time & Money in Manipulating the Consumer - with Marketing & Advertisements & Hype. It usually works too - they usually get the Consumer to do what they want them to do & Buy what they want them to Buy. They make them think that the Product they just bought is the greatest thing on Earth - when in Reality it could be a Piece of Crap! I just don't Trust it! The Consumer is too easily Manipulated (I spot the B.S. & work past it - but I wonder how many others do also)!

Listen I don't think that Corporations will go away anytime soon - I think that in Reality we do need them - but with the type of Shenanigans these guys pull all the time - I just don't Trust them! At least when it comes to the Government & the Church - most of the time you can see right past all of their Crap & Lies & B.S. Those guys are not capable of "Taking Over the World" anymore at this Point. It is ever expanding Corporate Power that scares me at this point - people are scared of the "N.W.O" - I think that it will come by way of the
"Multi-National Corporation" - their loyalty resides with no one country - they are like Countries unto themselves and they have Loyalty to themselves only! Have you read Orwell's "1984"?

[edit on 29-4-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase The combined GDP of the EU is higher the than GDP of the US

not true

US: 11.75 trillion
EU: 11.65 trillion

and our gdp growth rate is 4.4% vs EU 2.6%.

[edit on 29-4-2005 by namehere]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Nothing.....sorry

[edit on 29-4-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Listen I don't think that Corporations will go away anytime soon - I think that in Reality we do need them - but with the type of Shenanigans these guys pull all the time - I just don't Trust them! At least when it comes to the Government & the Church - most of the time you can see right past all of their Crap & Lies & B.S. Those guys are not capable of "Taking Over the World" anymore at this Point. It is ever expanding Corporate Power that scares me at this point - people are scared of the "N.W.O" - I think that it will come by way of the

Hmmm....another misconception. Churches are like corporations because they want to make a quick buck like us all. They try to make themselves look like the best thing ever and then rob you blind. Companies are not evil for lying...everyone does that. We are just stupid. Why should the company be punished for our stupidity. Hell, our grandparents thought it would be a good idea to buy their kids lawn darts....pure genius.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join