It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOW down 2000 pts.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: eitea
a reply to: Joeshiloh

Yeah, I agree with that vision also. Maybe some complex form of AI will take over the financial system in the future, that will collect all the information on global economy and decide the printing/deleting of money by that so it will keep stable value without intervention of human corruption. We'll see

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

What do we have now, the potential for one, bring some stabilization to it with hard assets. Get rid of the Fed. its the biggest blood sucker on our economy.

edit on 9-3-2020 by Joeshiloh because: add

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I've been waiting 10 years for the next recession to buy a house.

After seeing the Feds prop it up , prop it up , and prop it up year after year I finally gave in and purchased my first last year.

I told my wife , 'You watch. Now that we have bought in, it will burst.' ... she said , 'You've been saying that for 10 years'.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Doesn't seem like that to me, because I see the current main problem in constantly bending the rules by corrupt individuals. 2008 bailout were just that. Bending the rules of capitalisim by corrupt individuals in their favour. So, if an AI would follow the rules without intervention, with it's sole purpose in keeping a stable currency, then I see that as an solution.
This could be the biggest favour that bitcoin actually did - it gave birth to an idea of autonomous financial systems with fixed rules. But because bitcoin is very simplistic with fixed supply, it couldn't be used as a practical form of currency. But the idea is out now that it could be a possibility if the supply is calculated with enough complexity, then it could be a possibility.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joeshiloh

What do we have now, the potential for one, bring some stabilization to it with hard assets.

But we all still have to agree that this arbitrary thing has value. For instance, what is a diamond worth? I'll tell you that it isn't worth anything. It's just a shiny rock. But a whole lot of people have been convinced that even a tiny little diamond is worth a lot of money. We'd have to do that with the same thing we chose as our hard asset standard. Oil? Uranium? Meteorite material? Fresh water?

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Actually diamonds outside of jewelry have intrinsic value, meaning that they can be used for their material strength to solve certain production problems that have strong fundamentals in the economy. Same thing as gold, even if it's value is highly speculative, it still has it's place in electronics. With enough of these small aspects taken into account will give the most realistic picture of the overall intrinsic value, outside of speculative value.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: 3sixand9

Yeah, I hear you on that. Just hope that you don’t find out that your new neighbors next door bought their identical house for 1/2 of what you bought in at. That would suck.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I don't think that the fed itself is the problem. As much as I have read about the people involved in running the fed, they are mostly pretty spineless academics and politicians, who don't have large private stakes. To me the fed seems more like a scapegoat for private banks to make the decisions in their favour and then take the blame afterwards in excange of an oportunity to feel big and important.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Actually diamonds outside of jewelry have intrinsic value, meaning that they can be used for their material strength to solve certain production problems that have strong fundamentals in the economy. Same thing as gold, even if it's value is highly speculative, it still has it's place in electronics. With enough of these small aspects taken into account will give the most realistic picture of the overall intrinsic value, outside of speculative value.

Without an emotional factor, nothing has intrinsic or "objective" value, no matter how useful it might be in any particular industry. It still all has to do with supply (how much people are willing to dig for or manufacture a particular thing) and demand (how much people want a particular thing). And that's all subjective. If I'm in the desert dying of thirst, suddenly water is way more valuable to me than diamonds. Oil? Well, how much is it worth right now?

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Energy ,food , materials ,land ,water and labor that's the foundation in the past its the wants and needs. Also of the present. It would make up the hard assets for money to be based on with the US behind it. Get rid of the Fed its privately owned. wake up everybody we are just paying the Federal reserves interest payment when we pay our taxes. We are not paying down the principle.

edit on 9-3-2020 by Joeshiloh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   
it was a great day, all told

I bought a handful of shares below the Issue Price (9 months ago) so that helps my dollar-cost-averaging as I continue to accrue shares

my initial plan was to buy shares, as price permits...at around XXX shares per year... i'm at XXX already & its only March

YaY, buy the Dips ----> plus, the other stocks I sold off for cash to fund my favorite stock all nose-dived 20+%, 13.5% and 9% but I sold them all some 3 months ago when they were much higher in value

this was a rarity for me

so don't rain on my parade, bitte
edit on th31158379594109192020 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   

But why are both of their value calculated in the form of the money printed?

Why wouldn't they? We use the dollar here.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Im all about abolishing the fed...being it's not federal..a reply to: Joeshiloh

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It'll level off at 21 thousand or so and I'll be buying like a mad man. Already buying now. these discounts won't last folks.

Same goes for crypto. Today's slump affected the crypto market and has extended my accumulation phase far beyond what I thought was possible.

Panics are nothing more than an opportunity hidden in an externality.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I sold off a very large chunk of my portfolio toward the end of February. I'm in a real good position right now.

I've been debating this and I still haven't decided when I'm gonna jump back in yet, obviously it's still very early. I'd say 18000 is a pretty safe bet. But I think it will go much lower. The masses haven't even begun to panic yet. Give it another month. I think it will go as low as 15000. I'm looking for 15k but I'll be playing it by ear and I might jump in sooner.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: Joeshiloh
a reply to: eitea
I think Trump will do every thing he can to prop it up. So I don't see it as bad as 2009.

I think this will be Trump's legacy. Disease and economic collapse. The irony is that it won't be a result of anything he did or didn't do. Nothing that the Democrats or anyone else can blame him for. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So you're predicting that the economy won't recover and we don't rid ourselves of covid-19 even after four years? Not very likely dude lol

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

If you issue new bonds, that's value is calculated in dollars, then at it's substance it's like issuing more dollars, just in different form. These dollars will still be injected in the market as "virtual money", the representation of that dollar is the only thing that is different.

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   

You are trying to tell that there are no absolutes. And yeah, there are no absolutes, but there are still definitions how we define intrisic or speculative value. Intrisic value has more fundamental economic ties. Meaning it is intertwined with more with different markets, production and demand and not just temporal market speculation.

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

If you issue new bonds, that's value is calculated in dollars, then at it's substance it's like issuing more dollars, just in different form.

That would only be the case if demand wasn't strong, which it is.

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Demand is strong for bonds by speculators who are motivated to keep the new dollar flow has high as possible. Most of the complex game goes on with derivates like it was with synthetic CDOs. Now there are new "creative" solutions to explain pulling money out of nowhere that most financial academics don't even know about. If you are clear headed enough to look at the big picture, then you can see the disproportionate inorganic flow of new dollars since the year 2009 from the same M1 table you presented, if you'd look at it in 25Y. But people don't want to look at that big picture, because they are just too self-indulgent and caught up in their greed, so they choose to believe that it's all going normal.
edit on 10-3-2020 by eitea because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join