It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching people prepare for Covid-19

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: wakeupstupid
I have about 144 rolls, a CBRN 40mm gas mask and am 3D printing canisters to fill with activated carbon, zeolite, carbon filter and pillow stuffing.
Is it for me? No, it's so I can care for elderly family and my SO who is sickly.

When the virus has run it's course and I start seeing toilet rolls strewn all over town I'm gonna be looking for you ya rascal.

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
About a month ago, I felt stupid for having all of my 401K money in a stable value account. I don't feel so stupid now

Not long ago people raised eyebrows when I told them I had 4 freezers full of food, solar/ battery bank, barrels of water, and probably over 1000 lbs of dry food. They thought I was stupid for stockpiling food, guns, ammo, gold and silver, and growing my own vegetables.

I wonder what they think now?

They're probably thinking "I know where were going when we get hungry" lol

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Typical American greed. Get everything they can for themselves and F#$K the other guy. Especially if it screws the next person who will not be able to get for themselves or their family. And then brag about it. This is why communism would never work here. People would riot and revolt the first time they weren't able to buy as much of whatever crap they wanted the next time something like this came around. The people in this country are amazing that way.
edit on 10-3-2020 by BoscoMoney because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Tekner
I'll feed them a hot lunch
50 mag

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 03:57 AM
link   
People who stocked up toilet paper are definitely in the lower intellect ranks of humans. They will tell you that elephant is bigger than the moon just because it appears so at first glance. They think that since toilet papers take up most rack space in a supermarket then it must be important. There are others who have FOMO (Fear of Missing out) as they see others who buying toilet papers.

If smoking a cigarette with filter is less harmful than one without filter, does it make it healthier? Not at all, it is still harmful. If yogurt is low fat and healthier than full cream ones, does that make it healthy? No at all since yogurt are usually full of sugar. In my country, there are many food products labelled as "healthier choice". Does that make them healthy to eat? Not necessary so.

We are like people on flatland world trying to comprehend 3D objects.
edit on 11-3-2020 by everyonedies because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Too many people...product cant keep.up?

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: wakeupstupid
I have about 144 rolls, a CBRN 40mm gas mask and am 3D printing canisters to fill with activated carbon, zeolite, carbon filter and pillow stuffing.
Is it for me? No, it's so I can care for elderly family and my SO who is sickly.

When the virus has run it's course and I start seeing toilet rolls strewn all over town I'm gonna be looking for you ya rascal.

I read somewhere that people are actually starting to return the over-purchases to Costco.. Which is even more crazy since this pandemic probably hasn't even started in most areas yet...

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Went down to Sams Club this AM just to watch the show and engage some folks in polite conversation.

People are scared sh!tless. There is more to this pandemic than meets the eye. It has the feel of some surreal psyop almost religious fervor to it. There was a guy out front selling rosary's and copper bracelets.

but as HST said..."it can't to weird for me." Perfect for media geek documentary film makers; I just use my S10 and a good tiny mic. There was a news crew there as well and another guy with a DSLR recording the panic buying.

edit on 11-3-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Watching people prepare for Covid-19 might be the weirdest thing I've ever seen in all my years on this earth.

I am amazed that people find that toilet paper is the most valuable item, followed closely by hand sanitizer.

Forget water, canned meat, canned foods, electrolyte drinks, long shelf life items, or even medicine. Yep, toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
I didn't realize that there is a deep seated fear that people have, that they will not have toilet paper to wipe.
Are we that far removed from true survival that this is what people think is most important?

I think hand sanitizer is great in a pinch, but it is both unhealthy and not better than good ol' soap and water.
From what I've seen, most places have not had utilities turned off.

In addition to tp and hand sanitizer, people have gone crazy for face masks. I find it really weird that people feel 1000000% with a face mask on, but leave their big ol' eyeballs totally unprotected.

Although I think this virus is terrible, I think the silver lining in this is that people are starting to realize how dependent they are on daily luxuries. The preppers don't seem so nuts now do they?????!!!!!

Edit to add: My dad started teaching me survival tactics at age 7, I truly think this was the most valuable gift a parent can teach a child.
People are sheep mate, they buy why they see others buy on social media. I hate people.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stu112

Watching people prepare for Covid-19 might be the weirdest thing I've ever seen in all my years on this earth.

I am amazed that people find that toilet paper is the most valuable item, followed closely by hand sanitizer.

Forget water, canned meat, canned foods, electrolyte drinks, long shelf life items, or even medicine. Yep, toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
I didn't realize that there is a deep seated fear that people have, that they will not have toilet paper to wipe.
Are we that far removed from true survival that this is what people think is most important?

I think hand sanitizer is great in a pinch, but it is both unhealthy and not better than good ol' soap and water.
From what I've seen, most places have not had utilities turned off.

In addition to tp and hand sanitizer, people have gone crazy for face masks. I find it really weird that people feel 1000000% with a face mask on, but leave their big ol' eyeballs totally unprotected.

Although I think this virus is terrible, I think the silver lining in this is that people are starting to realize how dependent they are on daily luxuries. The preppers don't seem so nuts now do they?????!!!!!

Edit to add: My dad started teaching me survival tactics at age 7, I truly think this was the most valuable gift a parent can teach a child.
People are sheep mate, they buy what they see others buy on social media. I hate people.

What do you mean by “preppers ”? If you think you will suffer a shortage of food then join the crazies.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: everyonedies

Your (not personally) IQ is 150 minus the number of toilet rolls in your house.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Mormons are stocked up for years, but are they too kind? Are they ready for battle? It seems
like mormons love to talk about their 3+ years of food storage, maybe that will be their downfall if things get
really bad.

Mormons normally have enough food for about a year. That's what it's recommended to have. But you can have more than a year's supply. It is a personal choice.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

May be typical American greed, but not neighborhood greed. Already spoke to the neighbors.

Would share everything I had with them, as they are shutting down the area.

So I guess, yeah.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT
a reply to: everyonedies

Your (not personally) IQ is 150 minus the number of toilet rolls in your house.

If people buy more of it because of the COVID-19. But i always buy my tp in bulk in Sam's club. It is a lot cheaper buying it that way. I haven't bought more tp than normal, and yes it is kind of stupid to buy so much tp because of COVID-19.

edit on 12-3-2020 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

That's what's good about living in a small town/small population state. People are more likely to share, be friendly, and there is less likely of a possibility that COVID-19 will occur in such areas.

Several years back my family and i decided to move to a state/city with a small population for a lot of reasons, including something like this occurring. For now we also have one of my nieces and her hubby living with us, but they have no plans of moving out of state for many of the same reasons I had for moving here.

edit on 12-3-2020 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
I have allergies and probably use more toilet paper to blow my nose than to wipe.

Either way it never goes bad and is easy enough to store.

I don’t understand why people are so worried and judgemental about what other people do. I guess it makes them feel superior or something.

Because what people “do” is often symptomatic/emblematic of something. Think of it as instinctual profiling from our caveman days.

Someone losing their mind and buying loads of toilet paper - but didn’t stock up on food - obviously doesn’t understand what they’re doing. They just bought the hype that they might run out of S tickets. Probably not a critical thinker.

Think of it like this - you’re in a parking lot and see someone drive real slow, creep into their parking space, park not so well in the spot and then slowly get out of their car. Do you think they’re going to run around the store their heading into in a tactical way? Ask sharp questions? Be decisive? Maybe - but that’s low probability.

Now... someone pulls in to the parking lot moderately quickly, parks square, hops out of their car and walks into the store with a purpose. Is that person going to shop differently? Maybe - but it’s a high probability this person will be at some point waiting on the slower driver mentioned above.

What people do for fun, wear, eat, read, actions they take, how they walk, what they drive, etc. says a lot about a person.

In this instance of the TP example, you have three kinds of people - the one who went in and bought a ton of TP because that became the “prepper” thing to do, the person that went in and bought a bunch of TP because all of the previous people were going to make them be unable to buy TP and then there’s those with no TP.

Said another way, those who didn’t think critically, those who did think critically and those who just don’t think.

This is a hyper-simplification but ya - observing others is a thing. And yes, it’s judgmental. And it’s hardwired into our brains.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

and #4 - people who have enough toilet paper for a sensible period [ and know enough toilet paper free methods of keeping thier arse clean ]

i wouldnt be so contemptuous - if tescos was hoovered bare of EVERYTHING

but as i state in previous posts

several stores in north of england = no toilet pape BUT - tinned soups , tinned meats , rice , tinned fruits etc etc - all near full stocks .

i can manage without toilet paper - but without 2000 Kcal / day - i am not going to last long

what is the guy with 4 packs of soft quilted going to eat ?

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

what is the guy with 4 packs of soft quilted going to eat ?

I'm going with tide pods.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

note to self - check stock levels of laundry products on next tesco adventure

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Mormons will be just fine

Mormons are stocked up for years, but are they too kind? Are they ready for battle? It seems
like mormons love to talk about their 3+ years of food storage, maybe that will be their downfall if things get
really bad.

Often they 'are' too kind. they are also well armed. Just believe me on that part. and have a plethora of choke points leading into the state, sufficient to repel roaming hoards. I'm confident Utah, Idaho and much of Wyoming would not make easy targets.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join