It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ketogenic Diet May Boost Lung Immune System

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This is just a friendly FYI since we have respiratory illnesses going around. In the studies it was found that a ketogenic diet triggered the release of immune system cells that produced a mucus in the cell linings of the lungs that trapped influenza virus and activated a subset of T cells in the lungs.

www.newscientist.com...

Because inflammation is common to both gout and flu, the team thought the keto diet could similarly deal with flu-related inflammation, which can severely damage the lungs.

The team found that the keto diet amped up the numbers of a specific type of T cell – key players in the body’s immune response – found in the lungs. Boosting these T cells dampened the sensitivity of cells lining the lungs to infection and increased mucus production.

It seems that this extra mucus is important for protecting the mice, says Iwasaki, because it traps the flu virus to stop it spreading. It still isn’t clear what these T cells do outside of this study though, she says.

Switching to a keto diet may help boost the immune system so that it is better programmed to fight off the infection, says Tregoning

Read more: www.newscientist.com...

Study finds the high-fat, low-carb diet triggers the release of immune system cells that trap the virus before it spreads
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Experts fed mice infected with influenza virus a high-fat, low-carbohydrate
Also known as the keto diet, those who stuck to the diet had a high survival rate
The team found the diet triggered the release immune system cells in the body
These cells produce mucus in in the cell linings of the lung and trapped the virus

www.inverse.com...

The diet’s immune effect may be down to gamma T cells, which are considered the immune system’s first line of defense against pathogens. Eating keto appears to be associated with higher concentrations of gamma T cells in the rodents’ lungs, the researchers found, improving their resistance to the virus.

Gamma T cells are often found in mucus, the body’s slimy, but critical, weapon to defend against foreign bodies. While on the keto diet, the composition of the mice’s lungs’ outer layer changes to produce more mucus. Mucus can trap virus particles, and prevent the flu from infecting target cells, Akiko Iwasaki, professor at Yale University and study co-author, tells Inverse.

edit on 8-3-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Just got an awesome excuse for only eating smoked pork and delicious cheese all day.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It also has some effect on protecting people from the Corona Virus. Increasing mucus helps to protect a person as long as the mucus is not overly sticky. A proteinase like bromelain can help to break up too sticky of a mucus. Works well for me, the daughter and her family, and our cat who is always mucusy from some chronic life long sickness. The thing is with the Cat, he loves bacon so much he is really happy and playful and doesn't cough that much with bacon, but I also give him a little bromelain in his milk twice a day.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The problem I run into is bowel movements.

I'll eat mostly meat and cheese, my favorite foods, but then I just end up having loose, watery poo all the time. When it wants to come out, it's not fun. There's nothing to make it stick together.

Beans and wheat bread are basically off-limits because of carbs so you're left with nuts for fiber.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

Fish oil and or a couple of tablespoons of olive oil help me with that. Well, mine is of the "it is a brick and doesn't want to come out" issue.
edit on 8-3-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Take a spoonful of coarse grain Metamucil every evening. It works wonders.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel

I'll eat mostly meat and cheese, my favorite foods, but then I just end up having loose, watery poo all the time. When it wants to come out, it's not fun. There's nothing to make it stick together.

Beans and wheat bread are basically off-limits because of carbs so you're left with nuts for fiber.

you gotta eat your vegies... leafy greens... broccoli... get your fiber from your vegies on keto

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I just lost my appetite, thanks.

Try eating spinach, the type that’s chopped and frozen, it’s super cheap too. Biggest bang for your buck.

Edit, cut back on the cheese, you probably are a bit lactose intolerant, try that too.
edit on 8-3-2020 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

It has health benefits all over the place.

Boosts the immune system.

Decreases inflammation.

And on and on.

Take some time to watch Dr. Berg on YT. Short sweet vids packed with tons of knowledge.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Eat all the leafy veggies you want - I don't count those carbs. Just make sure they're the leafy kind.

Also - magnesium helps you to poo - just don't use it too often as your body becomes dependent on it.

Drink more water too!

And remember - electrolytes are NOT an option - you've got to have them every day.

Keto on!

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I don't need help pooing, I need help not to poo.

When I eat some beans, a chili, or a wheat bread sandwich or two, I'm good to go the next day. If I dont, it's diarrhea. Not much for greens, I like green beans but they have some carbs in them. Broccoli with cheese on it is good.

I drink ALOT of fluids, more water than most, lots of sugar free drinks too which is basically water with aspartame and sodium. Not the best for you, I know, don't need any lecture on that.

Then again, I'm not going for pure keto, but rather low carb, so one or two servings of something with beans in it or some wheat bread is ok for me. I was referring to pure keto. People typically do it to lose weight and I'm not exactly overweight, on target for my height, just not keen on my belly fat area. I'll eat a pasta dish sometimes too, I just dont do it everyday. A peanut butter wheat bread sandwich as a snack at night if I hadn't had any fiber that day is looking good.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a bowel movement thread.
edit on 8-3-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Diet Soda and Diarrhea

www.livestrong.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Diet Soda and Diarrhea

www.livestrong.com...

I need something low carb to mix alcoholic beverages with, smh. I've read many links that say some alcohol isn't bad for keto diet, it's calories but no carbs.

Insert link for alcohol causing diarrhea. Ok, so it's not keto that causes my issues but other dietary habits. I can mitigate them with having some carbs that have high fiber in them. I apologize for pooing on the thread with poo issues. Please carry on your discussions.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Ah thats easy... gin and soda with a squeeze of lime... lemon works too but i find it drys your mouth out

Any hard alcohol is perfectly fine on keto... but gin has almost no taste with lime

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Soda is straight sugar and tons of carbs. I cant add those to the carbs I do get like some occasional noodles or a daily dose of something lentils or wheat.

Each shot or standard drink of liquor is 90-120 calories. Two of those in a glass with 16oz of soda is roughly 400-420 calories. Soda has 150-180 per 12oz. Let's say someone, not me, has 3 or 4 of those per 24hrs spaced out to where they return to .00 BAC throughout the day and night. It adds up to 1200-1600 calories. Isn't 2,000 a "diet"?

Assuming the person never increases and doesn't try to cut back, they cut the calorie intake by 50% and thats alot more food and nutrition from using diet soda instead. Anyone weight concious or trying to lose a few pounds who drinks daily of any amount, or could be at any risk of diabetes, should really abstain from soda.
edit on 8-3-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   

a reply to: Akragon

Soda is straight sugar and tons of carbs. I cant add those to the carbs I do get like some occasional noodles or a daily dose of something lentils or wheat.

Each shot or standard drink of liquor is 90-120 calories. Two of those in a glass with 16oz of soda is roughly 400-420 calories. Soda has 150-180 per 12oz. Let's say someone, not me, has 3 or 4 of those per 24hrs spaced out to where they return to .00 BAC throughout the day and night. It adds up to 1200-1600 calories. Isn't 2,000 a "diet"?

Assuming the person never increases and doesn't try to cut back, they cut the calorie intake by 50% and thats alot more food and nutrition from using diet soda instead. Anyone weight concious or trying to lose a few pounds who drinks daily of any amount, or could be at any risk of diabetes, should really abstain from soda.

what kinda of soda water do you have in your area?

its carbonated water... 0 carbs... 0 sugar.. lol

maybe you thought I meant like soda pop... like root beer... LOL

I wouldn't be recommending such a thing on a Keto thread.... im all about Keto my friend... works awesome!!

I meant soda water... er, club soda... whatever you call it in your neck of the woods

edit on 8-3-2020 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Moderate quantities of high fiber, low glucose vegetables are fine. Cauliflower, brussels sprouts, asparagus, artichoke, mushrooms, kale, etc..

No tomatoes (a fruit), no beets, carrot, starchy vegetables..

edit on 3/8/2020 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   

edit on 3/8/2020 by clay2 baraka because: 12 min after the hr bug

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The way i see it , it goes like this:

Starve bacterial ilness

Feed viral ilness

Feed a Cold, Don’t Starve It

Opposing Effects of Fasting Metabolism on Tissue
Tolerance in Bacterial and Viral Inflammation

Someone , earlyer postet about cyclodextrins also...a form of sugar...( is used in some curcumin supplements btw to boost absorption )

Swiss scientists discover ‘antiviral’ powers of sugar

Honey is good in the viral ilness...but happens to be also antibacterial. NAC have many good efrfects to respiratory illnesses, it help move mucous etc
edit on 8-3-2020 by Kenzo because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-3-2020 by Kenzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Sucralose, aspartame, maltitol bad. (all spike insulin).
Go with Stevia (or better yet monkfruit/erithritol blend sweeteners).

www.zevia.com...
connect.naturalproductsexpo.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join