It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Downplayed? Or Overreaction? What is different with this outbreak compared to previous others.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   
So I've been doing some research looking at articles talking about SARS and MERS from the past, to get a sense of what people were saying about these things before all the biases of this current outbreak, and to understand how they were dealt with and why this current virus was able to become much worse than those.

And I found some of these articles:
www.everydayhealth.com...
www.everydayhealth.com...

They give some of the basic facts about SARS and MERS of which a lot is similar to what we have been told about this current virus, it also goes on to state that “SARS was stopped by isolating patients and monitoring their contacts in order to stop transmission. My guess is that the markedly better surveillance of this virus will stop any potential pandemic,” So from what I can gather, simple dedicated focus on identification and quarantining was part of the success of keeping the numbers low. And this I would say has been a large failure in the current outbreak, brought on by overreaction? Or by downplaying it?

Here is another page i found:
www.ecohealthalliance.org...

This one goes into talking about why sars and mers were such a particular threat. It states "it is the only pathogen on the World Health Organization’s R&D Blueprint list of priority diseases which can be spread from human to human respiratorily." This is referring to this: www.who.int... This is strange too since the WHO seemingly dropped the ball with this, this time around, and even now have not decided to call it a pandemic yet.

So these diseases were treated fairly seriously in the past, and great efforts were put into containing them, and were successful, specifically in the sense of keeping the cases and deaths low. With the current virus, SARS-CoV-2, the same effort doesnt seem to be around, which is strange considering this strain seems worse. It's all very strange, and i see two sides saying contradictory things, one saying it's being overblown, another saying people are being too apathetic. So what is the truth?

I most certainly think this strain is worse than mers and sars, and in that category we arent dealing with the simple flu. I do not see why measures, all around the world, were not taken properly to contain this. So if we have taken less measures than with the previous sars and mers, that to me suggests we have went backwards, and the response was inadequate/downplayed. And at that point, why would one not expect panic, if the people start to feel as if the structures and institutions of their world are failing them. Apathy is very often a sign of civilizational collapse. Or a sign of a demoralized people.

To me, panic sets in once the downplaying turns out to be false, when people realize they are unprepared. So this is just some thoughts pertaining to my analysis and study of the general reactions I have seen to this outbreak.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Currently there is no drug in use that a patient can take to cure it . I guess that is the big difference now.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: FellowHuman

It's certainly looking to be a very heavy deal in the near future unfortunately .

April and the first half of 2020 expect the governments to flatten the peak using all means necessary .

As far as the initial cause goes it was because of a struggle between downplay and upplay from a Chinese medic li Huang .

It was a truth to power moment in effect . A mistake not to be repeated , fairly speaking .

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I think the difference is the overreaction of China as never seen before. I would have though that China wouldn't bat an eyelid at the 'normal' common flu. Lots of people, it happens a lot and people get over it. There are jabs even if they are mostly far too late but you know, makes people happy to have some sort of influence.
Why did China get so worried?
Did they know it came from the lab, where any virus would be a bastard?
Or.
Did they overreact because lots of people were losing confidence in the government and it was spreading faster than any virus?
Maybe it's both together.
I am not worried about the illness itself. Even though I have asthma and M.E and I am generally a wuss [physically]. I don't prep [can't and won't] but I have bought extra animal food.
However it is scary where this is going politically and economically. Will I still be able to get my medication?
What will people put up with in the name of our best interest?
This is a dream come true for any agenda. Everything goes. Quarantine, making cash illegal and so on.

It is these things that make it different from any other flu. Is it bad?
Well it ain't good. We know nothing. We can speculate and guess but I think the proverbial SHTF right now. We are putty in the globalists hands.
Even though globalism with open borders seems pretty stupid at the moment, I have already heard people say 'will this bring us all together and realise that we are all human?' and hippy crap like that.
Going by the prepper and panic buy crowd on here they don't give a rats toss about others, especially not the elderly. As long as they are fine and we praise them for having so much insight, they will shoot you without a thought if it ever became that bad.
So the answer is no, we won't become more peaceful, just the opposite.

That's the differences I can see.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

China built a massive hospital when the SARS outbreak happened in seven days.

The reaction this time around was probably on the same level as SARS, if not over the top because they learned a lesson. I think this time around it seems worse because the world is basically one giant village now in regards to communication, rumors spread like wildfire now.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   

What will people put up with in the name of our best interest?

This is a dream come true for any agenda. Everything goes. Quarantine, making cash illegal and so on.

That's the $64,000 question right there. And judging by many of the opinions expressed, it ain't looking good.

We expect a brutal totalitarian government like China's to impose Draconian restrictions with no regard for rights... But that's not how we operate in the free world of rights and liberties.

The truth is, we do not have enough hard facts and data to come to any kind of conclusions regarding the spread and severity of the disease, who is most at risk and least at risk, aggravating factors, contraindications, etc.

And I don't necessarily trust our authorities to give us the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth anyway... because as you already said so well:

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: FellowHuman

We haven't seen the potential of this virus yet.

The virus will show how bad it is when it gets combined with natural disasters that create poor sanitary conditions and lack of supplies.

Hurricane season coming soon. Just to give an idea.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Currently there is no drug in use that a patient can take to cure it . I guess that is the big difference now.

then how are patients recovering?

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Remdesivir & Chloroquine Are showing positive results, Sometimes using together

Not cure but is helping

Chloroquine

Chloroquine is a medication used to prevent and to treat malaria in areas where malaria is known to be sensitive to its effects. Certain types of malaria, resistant strains, and complicated cases typically require different or additional medication

Remdesivir

Remdesivir is a novel antiviral drug in the class of nucleotide analogs. It was developed by Gilead Sciences as a treatment for Ebola virus disease and Marburg virus infections

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

Because your body's natural immune system kicks in and burns it out of your system like 95% of all colds, viruses, and cases of flu. This is why you should only seek treatment when you have overt symptoms fever, shortness of breath.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

Everyone subscribing to Trumps Twitter account recovers in 2 days.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

The reaction this time around was probably on the same level as SARS, if not over the top because they learned a lesson. I think this time around it seems worse because the world is basically one giant village now in regards to communication, rumors spread like wildfire now.

Exactly posted this sentiment elsewhere.

In the '70s if this would have happened here in the US and the free world in June or July would have went that was a bad flu season and that's it. But now because we can watch the average Chinese citizen eat a bat or live rat babies, people freak out and think we have the same food regulations, sanitation systems, hygiene and healthcare as backassward China that lead to so many being infected in the first place.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

That's actually a good answer as I didn't know they built a hospital for SARS as well. It would make sense to have kind of learned from that. I still think they are using it also to push some agenda at the same time as it comes in very handy. The mood was that of rebellion literally days before. The only time I had seen the exact same mood was shortly before the E-German wall fell. And just like that, they have it all back under control and worse.

I am also of the side that thinks it escaped a lab. Just from pure logic's side. Yes viruses have been known to come from Bats [Ebola Marburg] but even that ain't 100% proven [I read the book...] ; but imagine a murder scene where someone was killed with Arsenic and you have a Dr with access to it and a little girl as suspects. You could argue that the girl may have accidentally played with an unknown powder [hey it could happen in a very convoluted way], I'd go with the doctor who had access to it. Occam's razor.

Between a possible Bat on a market, that has been open for gawd knows how many years without incidents [and never should have been, sounds like an animal holocaust] and a Level 4 lab that deals with just this kind of thing, plus the many slip ups they had already, I'll go with the lab any day!

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   
SARS happened in 2002.

There were no smart phones or social media to spread the fear quicker.
edit on 8-3-2020 by Psilocyborg because: 80's brick phones and malls spread the AIDS panic

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think the numbers of deaths we hear from China are WAY low. rumors from the dark web says entire factories that used to be filled with workers are empty. They are making people stand in a factory with the electricity on to make it look like they are still in operation.
here's a video of hospital workers leaving. A lot of them are carrying urns with their co-workers in them supposedly.
twitter.com...

I think this is a lot worse than what we are being told. Never heard rumors like this during SARS, or Swine flu, or bird flu, or anything like what we are hearing now.

These are business owners demanding rent exemption because no one is buying anything.
twitter.com...

I think it's far too early to say that people are over reacting.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
explosions goin off now...

twitter.com...

wonder if this was one of the empty factories they were running considering they are reporting no casualties?

new topics

top topics

join