It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N19COVID : mortality rate vs recovery - an american " anomoly " ??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 05:55 AM
link   
perusing " daily stats " - indexed by nation states

an anomoly - was obvious

the USA has currently - the highestd mortality rate / recovered index of any nation

19 dead vs 15 recovered

spain - a far smaller nation - has slightly higher dignosed totals

yet 10 dead > 30 recovered

the demographics of infection spread and patient underlying health and care recieved obviously varies from country to country

but i find it curious that the USA is fareing so badly - given the low case count - thier huge size and infrastructure - medical care quality and mean wealth

discuss -

i would expect a poorer nation to fare worse

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Spain is hardly a "poor" nation
They are considered a western nation

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

most of the deaths in the U.S. came out of Seattle from a single old folks home. as i said being old and confined in a old folks home does not seem to be a very safe place to hunker down from a virus that seems to target the old and sick, but what are they gonna do.

edit on 8-3-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:09 AM
link   
13 of the American deaths are in one nursing home. I’m guessing you didn’t take that into account.

Also - France has 16 dead, 12 recovered.
edit on 8-3-2020 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The same was true in China for a while in the beginning. Death rate greater than recovered rate, but that changed after a few weeks.

It takes a while for a person to be declared "recovered" - sometimes over a month. Therefore, those cases are still in the "infected" category.

As another person stated, high risk individuals will succumb more quickly.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Where is the best (truest) place to get real corona stats from?

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Perhaps it's because the US is a first world country with higher population count and a higher proportion of those likely to be badly effected by Corona ... the elderly , countries with lower healthcare standards and smaller populations are likely to have fewer old people because life expectancy is lower so have fewer fatalities.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The real numbers are unknown because the US hasn't been testing people with mild or almost no symptoms. It wouldn't surprise me if thousands of Americans were already exposed to the virus and already recovered and none were tested. I had a cold and recovered. I know other people had colds and recovered already. My mother has been under quarantine but not tested. I don't know anyone who has been tested. I heard of some people getting hospitalized and they did get tested and were positive. The person who tested positive did not travel anywhere meaning the virus is already spreading in the public and almost no one is getting tested except a few people. There have been problems with getting anyone tested here in the US in the news.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Check the population densities of the worst hit areas and you'll find your answer.

City living may well be convenient, but it's bad in situations like this.

Also, check the diets of the people. Underlying health conditions bought about by poor diet is looking like a big factor.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It's due to the # of people tested being so low

It's going to look really bad if your only testing a small amount of people from the hardest hit areas

Sample size is everything in statistics

Atleast I really really hope I'm right the alternative is grim

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
It's due to the # of people tested being so low

Sample size is everything in statistics

And the government wants everybody to believe it's not epidemic here in the States. If you haven't tested positive ... you didn't face CoViD-19. Period. It was something else ... like bronchitis ... that you died from.

Surprised The President didn't get the test kits (1,000,000) anymore than he built the wall and made Mexico pay for it. Just sayin'. Weird how quick China was to start quarantining 10s of millions of their citizens. Weird they self-crushed their entire economy over this 'minor and inconsequential' itty-bitty bug.

Every sign is right there in front of your eyes ... but (even on this site) there are people who want you to not see it.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

If you haven't tested positive ... you didn't face CoViD-19.

and if you haven't tested positive, you can't say you faced it. it's just that plain and simple. no proof you did. could just had the flu it is the season.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: orionthehunter

We haven't been testing at all. Less than 1800 people across the United States in total have been tested.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
perusing " daily stats " - indexed by nation states

an anomoly - was obvious

the USA has currently - the highestd mortality rate / recovered index of any nation

19 dead vs 15 recovered

spain - a far smaller nation - has slightly higher dignosed totals

yet 10 dead > 30 recovered

the demographics of infection spread and patient underlying health and care recieved obviously varies from country to country

but i find it curious that the USA is fareing so badly - given the low case count - thier huge size and infrastructure - medical care quality and mean wealth

discuss -

Most of the cases stem from that Nursing Home. Any contagious disease is going to do big damage in one of those places. Old sickly people would not have good chances against it.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   
We have bad testing kits.

South Korea has plenty of kits and has been testing aggressively. When you can do that, it shows that things are not that bad overall.

But what you have to remember is that right now, the US is testing selectively meaning only the sickest and those that fall under certain exposure criteria are getting tested. So our stats are based off the worst cases, not the whole picture. And when you look at the severe and critical cases of this disease, if you are going to die, that will happen sooner than you will recover if you're going to get better. So death tolls will rise faster than recovery numbers.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: orionthehunter
The real numbers are unknown because the US hasn't been testing people with mild or almost no symptoms. It wouldn't surprise me if thousands of Americans were already exposed to the virus and already recovered and none were tested. I had a cold and recovered. I know other people had colds and recovered already. My mother has been under quarantine but not tested. I don't know anyone who has been tested. I heard of some people getting hospitalized and they did get tested and were positive. The person who tested positive did not travel anywhere meaning the virus is already spreading in the public and almost no one is getting tested except a few people. There have been problems with getting anyone tested here in the US in the news.

those real numbers you speak of are unknown in the entire world. because of course no one is testing people with mild or almost, or no symptoms. unless just like in the US their is really good reason to suspect they might have it, such as someone they are living with has it. it certainly would not surprise me if tens, or even hundreds of thousands of people in the world have already been exposed, and have it. with many of those already recovered.

and of course it is only the serious cases, and those suspected of having it due to constant contact with someone who has it are being tested everywhere. since of course tests are rather limited, everywhere. so of course you only really use it to confirm so it can be better treated. an d that is one reason for quarantine. it keeps people who might have it in a safe (for everyone else) environment, until they show symptoms, or become bad enough that they need actual medical care.

most countries seem to now be reporting "local transmissions", which are people that have not been outside the country and in most cases, have no real clue where they contracted it from. in fact out of six confirmed cases here, TWO (1/3), of them are people who come under that heading. and even those two are not from areas even close to each other.. and that is exactly why there is so much concern about this sickness world wide. we know it is spreading fast. we know, people who have no symptoms, and thus no clue they are "sick", can pass the sickness on. we know there are people around the world who have not been outside of their country, or had contact with people known to have it, that have it. and this is some of the reasons it is being treated so seriously. we also know that even IF we could test everyone, it would be a giant waste of resources and time.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
America has higher standards of reporting. If you die from pneumonia as a result of N19COVID it will be mentioned. Where as many nation's will just say it's pneumonia.

Very similar to how America(supposedly) has higher infant mortality rates than many Western nation's. It's our standards of reporting and record keeping are much more transparent.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Biggest strike to the stats is the low incidence of testing in the US. They only test if they are pretty sure you have it. Which means you are not doing that great when they do test you. It is possible that we have 10,000 currently infected, 6,000 recovered and only 19 dead.

And it is early in the US episode. Those numbers are going to change as we get 10-15 replications from US patient zero.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Both the USA & Spain are not testing as widely

You're not seeing the true extent of cases

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join