It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco cares about their drug addicts

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Normalizing this behavior, making it socially acceptable is certainly enabling. The erosion of social standards just makes it easier to be an addict. Addiction should be hard, otherwise where's the motivation to quit?

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I know gas engineers and electricians that have smack habits and are perfectly acceptable members of society.

Go to work, have kids and function perfectly well in life.

Don't make it right all the same, but who im a to judge.

I would legalize the lot Freeborn if only to remove the criminal element that surrounds the sale of narcotics.

And use the monies generated by sale tax to fund proper facilities for the people that develop problems.

Canny be any worse than the state we are in right now.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61
Is that a picture with a group of drag queens?

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

As with you, I know lots and lots of people who use various 'drugs' to various degrees and function perfectly ok and are loving and responsible parents etc.

Legalise....but with regulation.
And severe penalties if guilty of ignoring those regulations.

But for any of that to happen it would first require a huge education programme and investment in the supply and managing side of things.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I wish that more countries would follow Portugal's way of dealing with the drug epidemic. They decriminalized all drugs in 2001. They actually treat it like a health problem. They even set up locations that an addict can go to to use. They provide clean needles and unadulterated product. They can use twice a day. I know it sounds insane, but the numbers don't lie. Drug related deaths and HIV transmissions have declined, while they also didn't experience a sharp increase in new users. It has certainly defied the laws of tradition.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: BoomGiggle

Don't see that ethos ever flying in the UK or USA anytime soon.

You would offend too many peeps sensibilities you see.

Same types that find it perfectly acceptable to crack open a bottle Rye Whiskey or a 20 deck of Marlboros.

You ken the sort I'm sure, the socially acceptable junkie.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Remember they have a "replace your needles" w free, clean ones program, no questions. For the addicts to stay safe injecting.
edit on 9-3-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Yeah except at least in my town they give them away, no exchange. Then the used needles end up in the gutter, or worse on the beach. The Boy's Club has a facility on the harbor with a beach for kayaking and sailing. The new routine is to sweep the sand for needles every day so a kid doesn't get stuck. In my lifetime I never dreamed I would see something like that come to pass.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: vonclod

Normalizing this behavior, making it socially acceptable is certainly enabling. The erosion of social standards just makes it easier to be an addict. Addiction should be hard, otherwise where's the motivation to quit?

Ya, I hear you, I think they just want less people to die, via the message of not using alone. The pic does make it look..i dunno.."trendy"

The billboard would not of been my choice.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 10:54 AM
link   

The used Johnnies and sanitary towels that float around beaches are not that much better.

Then there are the plastics and other assorted radiologicals plus assorted #e(quite literally sometimes) that make their way on to our beaches and into our oceans.

You would be there all day for eternity plus one sweeping for those.

What a predicament to have created and then some nevermind the mess.

edit on 9-3-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Yeah all of that is bad but a kid who steps on a dirty needle could end up with HIV, hepatitis, or any other assorted diseases .
If the addicts don't care enough to not put the public at risk, they can't blame me if I don't GAF if they O.D.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I think this normalization in a way makes the idea of shooting up less attractive.

The billboard is kind of gross in a way....

Heroin is more attractive when it's left In the shadows if you ask me....

It seems crazy but this may be a step In the right direction....

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I'm not one for needles being anywhere else but in the proper receptacle.

As to not GAF, well that's the problem with humanity, we don't care as long as us and ours are ok.

That Boy's Club that you obviously care so much about through, well statistically some of those boys will, unfortunately, grow up to develop a drug addiction and may end up mainlining Opioids.

Guess they will be a lost cause by then through?

Just a thought but we are all products of society, and maybe we should give a feck?
edit on 9-3-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   
most addicts that i know dont want to be in their current situation

getting people to come in for narcan training is a way to get the addicts in front of medical professionals that can maybe off them rehab or some other option.

safe use of drugs is a must but it shouldnt be state sponsored billboards sending the message

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 03:39 AM
link   
This is a pretty ridiculous progression, from the standpoint of risk management. Yes, people are going to use anyway, but the state should encourage long-term recovery and offer short term emergency resources (like nurses at safe injection sites, or laws not to prosecute for possession as a result of calling in EMTs), not to encourage users to feel like using in the first place can be safe. It's a risky behavior no matter what, and recovery should always be the goal.

This money could've gone to clinics and social workers, instead of billboards...

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bent8484
This is a pretty ridiculous progression, from the standpoint of risk management. Yes, people are going to use anyway, but the state should encourage long-term recovery and offer short term emergency resources (like nurses at safe injection sites, or laws not to prosecute for possession as a result of calling in EMTs), not to encourage users to feel like using in the first place can be safe. It's a risky behavior no matter what, and recovery should always be the goal.

This money could've gone to clinics and social workers, instead of billboards...

that billboard though was kind of sexy

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I know, right. Those stock photo addicts look so healthy and attractive, and they have such a nice clean apartment. Definitely doesn't fit my experiences with addiction, addicts, or their filthy filthy apartments.

Is this aspirational advertising?

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Seriously, though...I'm a progressive and a recovered addict, and I believe in treating addiction as a medical issue, and in risk mitigation methods. But this is just performative...it doesn't help addicts in a progressive minded manner, but instead just sends the message "hey, look at how caring and kind we are to our addicts, we're so progressive", a message mostly meant for other non-addicts, while providing f-all help to those who actually need it.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Bent8484

i say if the silly billboards save even one life im for them.

addiction is a disease that effects the whole family not just the addict so for every addict 'saved' there is a family behind them that was 'saved' too.

addiction is no joke and im glad more and more populations are treating it like a medical problem than a legal one(the addiction that is, not any criminal behavior that the addict used to fuel it.),

i think if you get jammed up with H or coke or something really addictive like that your could have 2 choice jail or rehab and the rehab should start that day with opiate substitution options offered the first day. i think people would be shocked how many would chose the rehab option

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join