It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco cares about their drug addicts

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

The billboard could have been worded better. I agree it comes off wrong. However, addicts are going to use even when they try to say no. The only difference between an opiate addiction to pain pills and an opiate addiction to heroin is the contents purity and knowing a proper dose. But because one comes from the doctor, it is more socially accepted. Even though both are addictive and both can kill.
I never did heroin, but I had my battles with alcohol. To be honest with you, alcohol and benzodiazapines, like Valium and Xanax, are way more dangerous of a substance to quit. You can't just go cold turkey because it eeffects the gaba in your brain. You can have a seizure. I experienced it first hand, twice. But since the doctor prescribed it, I thought it was good for me. They are more socially acceptable but just as lethal as heroin. I thank God that I am free from the shackles of addiction today. I don't encourage using like the billboard casually suggests, but I'm not going to judge someone that does use and completely right them off. Supporting a habit is enabling. You can still support an addict and not enable them.
So, until you have had a battle with addiction yourself(I hope you don't ever have to), you just won't be able to comprehend the obsession of the mind that haunts every active addict and the feeling of true powerlessness.

ETA: Sorry if I come off aggressive with my response. I'm not trying to attack you. Rather, just disagree with your take on compassion. This is a touchy subject for me because it hits close to home. Basically, I don't condone someone for using but I won't condemn if they do use either. Cheers!
edit on 8-3-2020 by BoomGiggle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Crazy idea to care about people.

To bad the op is about fake platitudes from leftists not actually caring about people. Please don't try and play the moral high ground here. We know you to well to fall for your BS...

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   
looks like it's party time. Look at the people on that billboard. smh

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: underwerks
Actually I'm starting to think this is a pretty smart move. Shifting the blame for these idiots onto their friends. Sure, keep an eye on your bro while he shoots up -if he OD's when you're taking a piss or passed out oh well you were there for him right?

The addicts actually have weekend parties where one of them does not use while the others shoot up. Their job is to watch for an overdose. Hours later someone else has that roll while the first person then shoots up with the others. Occasionally, the one who is suppose to watch leaves to get something to eat or falls asleep.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Ever seen "They Live"?

Coz for some reason that sign reminds me of the movie.

Accept in plain sight, which is always the best place to hide the truth.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
People should be free to do what they want with their own bodies.
Even if we don t like what they do we should still care about them.

Sorry but you're never going to convince me that enabling is caring.

When I tell someone I care about to "Get help", I don't mean "Find someone to spot you while you get high". Big difference.

It's not enabling though..enabling would be supplying the drugs, giving them a place to do them..etc

A message to be safe is not enabling.

JM2C

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Well, technically the alphabet agencies/drug cartels do supply the drugs and give them a place to do them.

Whether or not we care to admit the fact or otherwise.

Nothing is free in this world all the same, not drugs nor even freedom for that matter.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Crazy idea to care about people.

Today I'm going to overdose, so I better do it right like that billboard says! It's a good thing California cares enough about me to make sure I OD with a friend and a does of narcan. /sarcasm

Said no one ... ever. Well, except maybe you in an attempt to be contrary.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BoomGiggle

I don't understand people who get addicted to pain pills unless they're long-term pain patients.

For things like short-term usage, you should only be taking enough to get past the first big spike of pain and then stopping your dosage as soon as you can get by with things like ice and tylenol.

And I was a high level athlete, had chronic migraine, been though two frozen shoulders, and now shoulder surgery with over 5 months of attendant OT, so it's not like I don't know pain myself.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Because the War on Drugs has been so successful at curbing the opioid epidemic.

These people are going to shoot up regardless. Shouldn't they at least be encouraged to do it in an environment that helps prevent death?

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

It could be if we just tried harder. See: The War on Christmas.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's because it starts with the likes of Oxycodone and ends up with them shooting/smoking Smack or even Fentanyl.

If people understood addiction it would not bloody happen.

They do it because it makes them feel good and takes away the pain that reality has put them in, if only for a fleeting moment.

Life is pain, but life as a junkie its perpetual agony and a full-time occupation.
edit on 9-3-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   

These people are going to shoot up regardless. Shouldn't they at least be encouraged to do it in an environment that helps prevent death?

Is this like the War on Poverty we keep waging?

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

That's just it. Opioids don't do that. They might make the pain less, but I never felt "good" on them. I just had less pain. How pain averse do you have to be to let yourself get addicted?

I mean ... right now, my shoulder hurts. It's been sore all weekend. But I also know I just got up not too long ago, and as I move around and move it around, it's loosening up and the sore is getting less. I don't need some kind of pain pill for that, but getting up was like swinging it into a wall of pain, it was that stiff.

edit on 9-3-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Different strokes for different folks ketsuko.

They shoot the oxycodone also, by crushing and dissolving the tablets in water, creating a solution that can be intravenously injected.

Opioids get you high as a kite, in large part because they activate powerful reward centers in your brain. Which triggers the release of endorphins, your brain's goto feel-good neurotransmitter.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I must be broken then because I've taken a ton of them and never understood it. I never got high. I just get sleepy ... if that. I'm not even sure I know what high feels like. I know what it's like to hallucinate. I know what it's like to be buzzed from alcohol, but I don't know what "high" is or if I do, I don't enjoy it.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Honestly, death is probably all that will cure this problem. Instead of having Narcan available, we need to start letting people OD. Yeah, I know this is heartless but it is the reality.

Tried to take my kid to the bathroom this weekend at Target. Couldn't because some bum was in the bathroom shooting up and apparently fell asleep / OD'd locked himself in the bathroom. His partner in crime was banging on the door and finally called the cops to check on him.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I must be broken then because I've taken a ton of them and never understood it. I never got high. I just get sleepy ... if that. I'm not even sure I know what high feels like. I know what it's like to hallucinate. I know what it's like to be buzzed from alcohol, but I don't know what "high" is or if I do, I don't enjoy it.

Same here.

I get no pleasure from mood altering substances (except coffee).

I've taken Percocets and hated how they made me feel. Same with other opiods. I don't drink much alcohol. I hate how I feel "buzzed". I couldn't even get myself drunk when I bought a couple of six packs the day my father died.

I just don't get it.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   

They do it because it makes them feel good and takes away the pain that reality has put them in, if only for a fleeting moment

That's very true for some.

But let's be honest about this; many people take them because they enjoy them.
And a high percentage of those who do take 'drugs' do so without problem and are perfectly functional members of society.

But we aren't supposed to say that.

Of course its nowhere near as simple as saying 'legalise everything', that would be destructive......but what we have at present isn't working and we need to change our approach.

How?
I don't know, never professed to have all, if any, of the answers.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   

That's probably a good thing ketsuko.

If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

Coz being a junkie is no fun and can ruin both your own and other people's lives in ways you would not wish to ever comprehend.

I learned my lesson the hard way and luckily came out the other side with at least part of my soul still relatively intact.

Was not opioids that were my forte all the same but crack.

Anyhoo one is as bad as the other imho.

Then again alcohol can be no picnic nether if you let that get out of control.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join