It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daylight Savings and Leap Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Got it! N order to do more work we drones get more light to work by: Daylight Savings “time”, and in the fall, a reversal to Standard Saving “time”.

It is “man made” (women, you are way too smart to be this stupid!), convention so we don’t end up with crazy things like a certain US state had 4 (at one time, 5), “time zones”.

In order for business to happen we a logical order to things so we don’t end up with cities split in two so when traveling in direction you don’t get alternate timed lanes heading at you at some spot on a map! Or, things like “0.5” time zones! Because we are imposing order on Kaos!!

I think it is bad for your health. I hate being one hour closer to the start of my work week.

That is all OK. I love my alien overlords! YAY Luhr for blessing us DST!!

My rant is this...

This year of our Lord, 2020, is a so called “Leap Year” which is due to some spirit cooked calendar by some men in funny hats. They add a whole extra day back in to the month of February at the end, February 29.

A day is made of 24 hours.

Just 8 days ago we added a full 24 of these hours back...

And NOW we are taking one away??!!!???!!!!

What the #, Chuck??!!

We wouldn’t have to Spring Forward and Fall Back for a WHOLE YEAR!!!

GAH!!

The ancient Mayans must have LMAO so hard when they remote viewed that one!!!

Still want DST?? Then make Leap Day 23 hours and at 11pm, we spring to March 1...

GAH!!!!!!
edit on 7-3-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: correctioned

edit on 7-3-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Correcteded

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The superbowl was LIV I think.
. Maybe it's a sign. Time all together. I like daylight savings time.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Applause for your rant!!!

However, I think you don't really comprehend the difference between hours and calendar days...

This....

The Gregorian calendar, which now serves as the standard calendar for civil use throughout the world, has both common years and leap years. A common year has 365 days and a leap year 366 days, with the extra--or intercalary--day designated as February 29. A leap year occurs every four years to help synchronize the calendar year with the solar year, or the length of time it takes the earth to complete its orbit around the sun, which is about 365¼ days.

The length of the solar year, however, is slightly less than 365¼ days-by about 11 minutes. To compensate for this discrepancy, the leap year is omitted three times every four hundred years.

In other words, a century year cannot be a leap year unless it is divisible by 400. Thus 1700, 1800, and 1900 were not leap years, but 1600, 2000, and 2400 are leap years.

Leap Year explained

As opposed to DST... which was first implemented by Germany in 1916 to save on coal use.

In America, it currently saves an average American $4 a year on their electric bill.

A fun linky explaining DST's history

A fun quote from the link...

And, of course, the United States does have DST, unless you live in Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Marianas Islands or, as mentioned before Hawaii and Arizona.

But Arizona isn’t even consistent within itself.

While Arizona ignores DST, the Navaho Nation inside of Arizona follows it.

Inside of the Navaho Nation is the Hopi Reservation which, like Arizona, ignores daylight saving time.

Going deeper, inside of the Hopi Reservation is another part of the Navaho Nation which does follow daylight saving time.

And finally there is also part of the Hopi Reservation elsewhere in the Navaho Nation which doesn’t.

So driving across this hundred-mile stretch would technically necessitate seven clock changes which is insane.

edit on 7-3-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I know... the “spirit cooking” comment as there are even more rules around which year will become one (also hidden in the Mayan calendar comment... sidereal and local, globe differences).

Still doesn’t answer the “why” we sweep the dirt off the porch only to grab some dirt off the ground only to dump it the porch!!

PS - It is named, “Coordinated Universal Time” but is abbreviated, “UTC”!! That is probably what triggered me!

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Daylight Saving time sucks. It's the worst part of my year.

Arizona is hot, dry and all of the wildlife wants to kill you... it's worth living there, for two reasons... mild winters, and no stupid Daylight Savings Time...

I live in Idaho; they attempted to rid Idaho of the DST scourge this year... the initiative failed... eeesh...

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I'm in Arizona, we don't do that here.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
I'm in Arizona, we don't do that here.

I lived in Phoenix for 2 1/2 years, and Tucson for nearly 8 years... Daylight Savings Time sucks. Arizona has the right idea...

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

The whole thing is messy because it is longitudinally derives.

Greenwich is where the zero starts. Then each TZ has n a whole number +/- a whole number for each zone. Except the longitude divisions don’t usually match the physical layout that the map represents.

Then places like Hawaii, Arizona, Alaska and anything else closer to equator get no benefits from doing this because in less than a week the difference is gone.

I was really just thinking about something to talk about at the neighborhood bar because I saw everybody the night before.

This made me chuckle. Then wonder why we actually do this during Leap Years...

The bar was fully packed. I bought some beer. Decided to self isolate and shelter in place.

The need to share my insight with someonez as still there..

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Cheating ass PC. I just watched the cheater clock skip to 3am, then I read all this.. # this dst . I want Arizona time.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 03:31 AM
link   

crazy things like a certain US state had 4 “time zones”.

citation required

i am aware that north dakota // south dakota are saddled with the idiocy of parts of both being " mountain " and "central" time

and opinie its stupid - the timezones should run down the nearest sensible state line

but 4 ??????????????????????? - its it telling that you dont name this alledged state ?

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Though it does make for drastic swings in the time that the sun comes up.

From almost 8 am in December to around 4:30 in June. It's a weird thing.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The Eastern half of Indiana didn’t participate until 2006, I believe. You can still have conversations with people and ask if it is Indiana time or Ohio time when a place closes and be understood although they will sadly lament that those are the same time now.

For Y2K preparation, the gas station that I worked at adopted my recommendation to set the Red Jacket (computer controls for the pumps) to Jan 1, 1980 if we had electricity but pumps failed to initiate because it was the same calendar for the next twenty years and we should have a fix by then.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Talking Alaska.

The lower panhandle was PST, Seattle and Vancouver. Then there was most of central AK. The extreme east of AK, like Attu, was yet another time zone. Then some island tried to sign up to Russia’s TZ.

Then the legislature said,”enough.” So, now Alaska is *9 from UTC (the -4 hours EST is ingrained into us all).

Hence, I don’t really have a problem with DST because it used to be worse (think evening phone charges when they apply within your own state!).

Old Cold War fears can turn a whole state into true believers in The System!

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Here you go ... Daylight saving causes heart attacks, but in the spring. In the fall, it's good for you.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thank you!

The balance between worker production and health cost should be known too.

Perchance the “spring forward” was not “good enough” and They went back to the SARS virus to give old people CoVid-19!

For crying out loud we can’t harm the Indigo Children.

/not sure if this is anger or sarcasm

ETA: Watch the video!!
edit on 8-3-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: WATCH THE VIDEO!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I really do like the extra hour in the fall though. It's the spring one I don't like. Is there some way to preserve my fall back time?

top topics

join