It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting mystery in Hong Kong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
In October 2019, a Virgin Atlantic 787-9, as VS-206, was on an ILS approach into Hong Kong. As they got to waypoint RIVER, the aircraft suddenly veered to the right and descended below minimum safe altitude for the sector. The crew disconnected the autopilot, and were able to reestablish in the localizer and landed safely.

What makes this interesting is that this is the fourth similar event, all near the RIVER waypoint. In July of last year an Ethiopian 787-8 lost control. In September, an Etihad and another Virgin Atlantic 787-9 both veered off the localizer and descended below minimums. Investigators are looking at all the data to determine if it's something on the aircraft side, or the ground equipment causing it to happen.

simpleflying.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Did you not post about a month ago about how some airports and aircraft autopilot systems were not linking up correctly?

Connection maybe?
edit on 7-3-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

Found it... nope looks like a different animal.

Member firerescue
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Blackout Bug: Boeing 737 cockpit screens go blank if pilots land on specific runways

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

One of the theories is something about the 787 systems, and possibly terrain. That approach apparently is more difficult and has high terrain near it.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I don't know HKG to well, it's out in a bay. Aside from normal hills terrain, would skyscrapers disrupt the autopilot?

See, all water except North bay as your suggesting.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   

One of the approaches goes towards the mountains before turning and paralleling them.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Thank you

Now I can see the approach.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   

The waypoint in question is here. You can see the terrain around it. All the incidents have occurred at this point.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Got to be something to do with the 787 I'd say as that seems to be all it's affecting.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:05 AM
link   
There's something about the glide slope antenna setup that's causing it. I would hazard its getting some kind of reflection that's causing a false glide slope. What I cant say.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

I suspect you're right. Interesting that the 787 is sensitive enough that it's affected where others aren't.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Interesting, and scary. I've seen many discussions on here about how dependent pilots are on automation. All it takes in a situation like this is the pilots not immediately realizing what's happening and you've got a crash.

Thank God I don't have to fly anymore.

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This may be related. Boeing put out a notice to operators that crews could see misleading glideslope information on approach. If the glideslope is captured as there is ILS interference, it can lead to either a short landing or long approach.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Boeing issued a warning to 787 operators over the Hong Kong ILS issue, but has yet to develop a permanent fix for it. According to the FAA, the aircraft initially turned towards the localizer heading, but stopped short and flew a constant heading that intercepted the runway at a 20-30 degree angle. The Flight Director didn't show any warnings, but continued to display "LOC".

top topics

join