It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Of Georgia Covid-19 updates and developments

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I return to work next Monday assuming nothing else goes sideways...

Like I might not be let on base because I was exposed by someone diagnosed with it shortly after I interacted with them, and that's one of the questions you got to answer before you can get on base right now.

It will have been 31 days ago so I would assume its ok, but its still a govt run installation so …

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: LookingAtMars

The catch is people have to actually use social distancing. Apparently in my area that's impossible. I've never seen more socializing in my neighbirhood, not in fifteen years.

I went shopping at ALDI in Oakwood yesterday. They didn't have the checkout lines marked with tape like most other places do.

No one was wearing masks or gloves. People were letting their kids run around. People were getting right up next to me at times.

There was a lot of food and no TP. They had paper towels and beans with a limit of 2 items. Everything else was buy as many as you want.

Went to Publix today and it was completely different. PPE was being worn, tape marked off every 6 feet at the checkout and there was not much to be had. Everything had limits. I was able to find the few items I didn't get yesterday.

Some are being smart and some not so much.

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Thanks.

Noticed anything unusual going on at Hard Labor?

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yeah, it's pretty location dependent, which is kind of nutty. But, I guess that's the way the infection rate is going too, so, par for the course with this debacle.

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: Liquesence

Thanks.

Noticed anything unusual going on at Hard Labor?

No, but I haven't been over there. Plan to go hiking later this week, since it's supposed to be nice, but it seems normal.

When they brought the quarantine trailers in, they were for a while located near the boat ramp area, the boat ramp was closed, and there was a an officer stationed there to prevent anyone from entering. The boat ramp, however, is now open. Not sure if the trailers are still in that general area, since the ramp access road has several spurs into different areas.

Just happy the ramp is open.

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I return to work next Monday assuming nothing else goes sideways...

Like I might not be let on base because I was exposed by someone diagnosed with it shortly after I interacted with them, and that's one of the questions you got to answer before you can get on base right now.

It will have been 31 days ago so I would assume its ok, but its still a govt run installation so …

Hope they let you back on base.

I am lucky to live were I do, we are under no orders. And I work for an essential service. So it's been pretty easy for me so far.

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Georgia COVID-19 cases pass 2,800; death rise to 87

The number of confirmed cases of coronavirus has passed the 2,800 mark in Georgia while deaths from the virus continue to rise.

As of noon Monday, the number of cases had risen to 2,807, with the number of coronavirus-related deaths now at 87. Officials said 707 patients are hospitalized due to the virus.

While the highest concentration of cases continues to be in metropolitan Atlanta, where Fulton County’s 463 cases by far the highest number in the state, 121 of Georgia’s 159 counties reported at least one positive result. The most deaths (17) have occurred in Dougherty County in Southwest Georgia.

---

I-95 checkpoint shuts down at Florida-Georgia border after traffic backs up for miles

Traffic along Interstate 95 was slowed for miles at the Florida-Georgia border Sunday afternoon after a checkpoint was put in place to screen for travelers coming from COVID-19 hot spots on the East Coast.

Traffic was slowed from the Highway 17 exit in Florida all the way to St. Mary’s Road in Georgia, just past the St. Mary’s River, around 3 p.m.

The traffic on I-95 had cleared up by Sunday evening after the checkpoint was shut down for about four hours. A source at the checkpoint said the operation was shut down due to traffic issues.

The checkpoint reopened around 5:15 p.m. after the Florida Department of Transportation set up a new traffic cone pattern to improve the flow of vehicles coming through. After the changes, traffic appeared to flow much smoother.

Florida State troopers are manning the checkpoint. It is in place 24/7.

They were asking drivers what state they were coming from. If it was a hot spot they flagged them over and took their contact and travel information. It don't say if they let them continue or not. Big rigs were not stopped.

edit on 30-3-2020 by LookingAtMars because: add

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Holy #. I didn't know there had been an interstate checkpoint set up by DeSantis.

Wow.

Only those entering Florida from hot spots required to self-quarantine, but anyone leaving Florida who might be infected from Spring Break?? Spread yourselves across the US!

Doesn't sound very responsible...
edit on 30-3-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
As of noon, 87 deaths. As of 7p, 103, now with over 3000 cases.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Oh great, our health care workers are being taken by NYC!

I have read about all the money and perks NY is offering healthcare workers. Looks like it is working.

You would think the state of GA would try to stop them somehow. Like offering them the same money and perks to stay in GA.

Photo of Health Care Workers Flying to Help NY Gets Love

The photo shows dozens of people, some wearing masks and gloves, holding their hands in the shape of a heart. It had been shared by tens of thousands on Facebook and Twitter, with many comments praising the health care workers for their bravery.

An Atlanta ramp agent took the photo of the health care workers, other passengers, and flight crew before the plane pushed back from the gate on Friday, Southwest Airlines spokesman Derek K. Hubbard said on Sunday.

There were about 30 health care professionals, all from Atlanta-area hospitals, who were on the regularly scheduled flight to LaGuardia Airport, Hubbard said.

The reason they are giving the heart sign is because they love money?

edit on 31-3-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
On the one hand projections have us 22 days from peak - so theoretically these folks could go to were demand is most severe and be back in time to help at home.

On the other hand with PPE being in such short supply they could fall ill and not return or return as a plane full of Molly Malones - spiking our numbers at the worst possible moment on the curve.

Trying to find the bright side...

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I was trying to tell myself that too.

I don't see how many will be able to fight through the mess that is NYC and then return to do it all again.

They will all be burnt-out, sick or contagious. Guess we need to try and take some healthcare workers from Alabama.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I don't think there's going to be too many free in Alabama. Lee County (Auburn/Opelika), was and maybe still the biggest hot zone in the state, only 90 min from Atlanta area. Chambers, right on the state line and much smaller has 34 confirmed, and had what I believe is a super spreader event from people going to church a couple of Sundays ago if which killed 5 people from same church. The hospital there and in Lee are the same company so the deaths showed up in Lee totals, probably due to transfers.

I'm not sure how I feel about GA medical personnel going to NY. On one hand they put themselves at risk of either bringing more cases back to Georgia or being unable to help their own communities. On the other, they will gain valuable experience that they could bring back when things get worse here.

What happened in Albany a couple of weeks ago is pretty disturbing. Most everything is shut down, but there are still too many people out and about for non necessity purposes.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: jefwane

On the other, they will gain valuable experience that they could bring back when things get worse here.

That is a silver lining. Even if only a few continue the fight in GA, they can pass on what they learned in NYC.

Thanks for posting your information.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Apologies if this has already been posted.

Closed ATS to take a break, opened Yahoo to check email and this was the top story.

Simply heartbreaking.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Closed ATS to take a break, opened Yahoo to check email and this was the top story.

Simply heartbreaking.

Yea I read that yesterday it was in the NY TImes it is heartbreaking. Used to spend a lot of time in Albany or Albenny as the locals say. Great little town very friendly

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jefwane

That has got to be due to the Kia plant? People coming and going from South Korea?

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Possibly, the Kia plant was my biggest concern in early February, but the RoK did a great job of containing their early outbreak, and travel from there was curtailed pretty early. That area is 1 hour south of Atlanta and 30 minutes north of Auburn university. It could have come from South Korea via Kia or one of their suppliers, the Atlanta area, or Auburn's nationwide and international student body.

It's only my personal opinion that the church with 5 dead had a super spreader event, but the circumstances are eerily similar to what happened in Albany. Except this was one of the few churches that held services first weekend of lockdown. Two cities in Chambers that sit right on the GA line, Lanett and Valley have had curfews for a couple of weeks now.

I work in the area, in the public, and got really careful and obsessive about hand washing and sanitizing late January. The work I do had supply constraints by mid February. I'm on my second week out of work, but getting paid normally for the time being. Got a conference call tomorrow about alternate work arrangements, or possibly returning to work in a limited capacity.

I'd had my wife stocking up on shelf stable foods since early February, and even scored several masks before they got unobtainum. I've always tried to keep the 2 week supplies going because this area is prone to tornadoes, and does see impacts from Gulf striking hurricanes. I'm not in as great of shape as I'd like to be in this situation, but following the mega thread here gave me about a month and a half jump on prepping.

I'd like to thank everyone who intelligently participates on these threads.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: carewemust

That's great to hear!

And Wuhan still looks like this because?

Because it’s not APRIL 8TH !?!

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Damn, so that explains how Albany became a hotspot.

What with people crying, blowing noses, hugging, etc, a funeral is a damned petri dish for exposure and transmission.

Kemp sent National Guard medical unit to help down there.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join