It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not a fan of day light savings, changing the clocks....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The whole day light saving and adjusting the clocks ahead or back and hour is starting to frustrate me.

Where I am , right now the sun is starting to set around 6:15pm.

With the hour change, sunset will now be 7:15.

And as the summers progresses the sun naturally sets later , so in the middle of the summer the sun can set at 8 or 8:30.

Seems unnatural and the hour change pushes it to extremes.

Then it's the opposite during the winter.
Sun sets around 615 and we have to turn the clocks back an hour, so during the winter sun will set and be completely dark at 5pm

Seems too extreme??

Winter we adjust the clocks so the sun sets super early, 5pm
Summer we adjust the clocks so the sun sets super late. 8pm

If the clocks go untouched, it feels much more natural...sun would set 7 or 7:30 during summer.

And during the winter sun would set 6 or 6:30.

The hour change really pushes things over the edge.

I have to look into why they do this??

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I love it cause it’s a sign it’s golf season and gives me time to finish a whole round after work.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

We don't observe daylight savings time here in Arizona. Works well for us. Of course, we don't need or want "extra" sunlight during summer!!!

But I see your point and I agree.

I have read theories that it does not work for our biological clocks either, which can affect our overall health. I haven't checked it out it any detail though. But I can see where it could play a factor. Our bodies do respond and interact with its external environment, including light and seasons and such.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

you dont get " extra " sunlight - DST simply alters the patern of " will it be light or dark when i start // finish work // school etc "

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Time needs to Spring ahead and never Fall back.
In my humble opinion.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

you dont get " extra " sunlight - DST simply alters the patern of " will it be light or dark when i start // finish work // school etc "

Of course. Hence my use of quotation marks for "extra." As in not my words. I was quoting those who sing the virtues of DST for the "extra" sunlight.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Our Governor signed a bill into law last year establishing DST as the official time.
It has stalled in Congress until they pass a law to exempt states.

I am one of those that would prefer we just pick one and stick with it.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 06:45 AM
link   

The clocks going forward signifies the approach of Summer which makes me happy , the clocks going back has the opposite effect so it's a balance.

Summers are supposed to be lighter in the evening and Winter is supposed to be dark so as it stands I'm OK day light savings , it gives you longer to sit in the beer garden through the Summer months.... unless you live in the UK then it's probably raining.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I have to look into why they do this??

From my understanding, it was originally used to utilize daylight hours more effectively back when artificial light wasn't as abundant. But its completely meaningless now and has no relevance to our modern age, where daylight hours make absolutely no difference whatsoever to the production capacity in factories and whatnot.

But for some odd reason we just stubbornly continue to use daylight savings, even though it has no logical purpose.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Not a fan of day light savings, changing the clocks....

And never will be.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Yeah, I hate it too! It's ridiculous that we hang on to it. It's not natural. I prefer that we would live life in sync with our natural world. Honestly, I wish I didn't have to work after sunset, as I use the computer and it messes with melatonin production. I've actually thought of trying to rearrange my schedule, but I'm busy all day and night it seems! Maybe I can just try it for a little while, sacrifice some things to make it work. But! This DST crap has to go.
edit on 7-3-2020 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Personally, I thinknit shoukd be done the other way. I don't need it to be light out until 9:30/10a at the peak, nor get dark at 4p in winter.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I could do without the time changes. If you want to get up an hour earlier or go to bed an hour later no one is stopping you.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I dunno how I feel about it.

My days start at 3am. Or 2am if we're doing a stretch of overtime.

When its time to set the clocks forward or back, I take a personal day to adjust.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth
Winter we adjust the clocks so the sun sets super early, 5pm
Summer we adjust the clocks so the sun sets super late. 8pm

Depends on your latitude. The times get more extreme the further north you go. In Seattle in June it doesn't et really dark until well after 9:00 pm. We're on daylight savings time 8 months out of 12. The only good that comes out of this infernal switching is that the clock on my pickup will be right again.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   

If we can tune ourselves to not wear a watch, daylight savings are no more than a reminder from the world we are an individual.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:33 AM
link   

When told the reason for Daylight Saving Time, the Old Indian said,
"Only the government would believe that you can cut a foot off the top
of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and get a longer blanket."

This quote was from an Arizona Indian on Anna Banana Kruchten's site. activerain.com...
edit on 7-3-2020 by Tobd57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
i want later in the night sunsets. i could care less about sunlight at 4am. in germany, the sun sets at 10pm.

i am all for getting rid of it, as long as they permanently shift it forward, so we always have afternoon sunlight.

i hated walking in to college, walking out in darkness.
now, its the gym, walk in and its sunny, walk out in darkness.

this week, i walk out of the gym in sunlight.

spring is my favorite season, because you get snow, AND every single day is longer than the day before.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tobd57

When told the reason for Daylight Saving Time, the Old Indian said,
"Only the government would believe that you can cut a foot off the top
of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and get a longer blanket."

This quote was from an Arizona Indian on Anna Banana Kruchten's site. activerain.com...

Thank you -- I love that quote!

Pretty much nails it, eh?

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It is "Daylight Saving Time" not "Daylight Savings Time"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join