It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New WWII movie: Greyhound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Has anyone seen the trailer for the newest Tom Hanks movie yet?
The movie is Based on The true events, and the 1955 novel, “The good Shepherd.”

The movie takes place in WW2, during the battle for the Atlantic.
Tom Hanks plays the part of a US Navy commander, Ernest Krause on his first war-time assignment, commanding a Destroyer.
As he leads a convoy of 37 Allied ships through the waters, German U-Boats begins stalking and picking them off.

I got goose bumps watching the trailer,

Tom Hanks is a great actor.
He brings it each and every time.
I can’t wait to see this.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Sounds like one worth seeing on the big screen. Definitely going to check that one out

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

I hear that!
It’s not to often that I’ll bother going to the movies anymore.
The last 3 Star Wars films were the last instances of me going to the theatre.
I usually just find a download and press play.

But for sure will be headed to the show to see this one.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Same here, i took my son to see 1917 at the theatre, that was pretty good, this looks way better.
It covers an aspect of the war you dont see often as well.
Lots of ground conflict films, air warfare, submarines, seeing from the point of view on a destroyer sounds awesome

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Is this the same as Saving Private Ryan?

Because I already saw that.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

I know this was a weak attempt at humor but while both films were about WWII I don't think you could find two different story lines.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   
⭐+🇺🇸

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

"Dear Borg, let your holy angle be with me, *mumble grumble*, inna your hands I commend..."

Rocket meets Rocket with hell down from on high can mean only one thing! Tom Hanks is Tom Hanks in... shaving Ryans privates with water foam!

Must see!

Sorry but, yawn... let the youth have their time and place now. Plenty of great actors out there waiting for a chance.
edit on 6-3-2020 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Damn, Tom Hanks got fat and old.

😟

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 02:01 AM
link   
" inspired by " - the 2 words that make me wince when reading about a movie

ould it be too much to ask - just do a faithfull adaptation of the book ?

the book starts as fiction anyay - so its a fiction based on a fiction - hat can possibly go wrong ?
edit on 7-3-2020 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 04:06 AM
link   

i have sailed across the north atlantic a couple of times a really nasty piece of water

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Recently viewed Midway, followed history very closely and was awesome in every way, just a brilliant movie
1917 was a little over cooked but still entertaining and watchable.
Looking forward to this movie as well, Hanks is pretty good, hope it’s realistic.

The Pearl Harbour movie with Aflek was dreadful

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
well done and interesting trailer

they're using sci-fi horror sound/effects to make the u-boats like monsters (not an inappropriate metaphor)
kind of like the sound and roaring in 'Twister'

Convoy work was a nasty bit of business.

I might go theater for this one.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   
www.reddit.com...
tom hanks is scum

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   

In true Hollywood fashion, the only thing worthwhile is the special effects, the usual predictable one sided view point, effectively makes it yet another armed forces recruitment movie.

If only the budget went towards the script, then Hollywood might actually make a decent war movie instead of producing stuff with plot lines as shallow as a puddle.

Oh, but it has nice special effects

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Looks like more Hollywood rubbish.

If you want to watch a film about The Battle Of The North Atlantic, i suggest " The Cruel Sea "

It's both factual and realistic. Written by Nicholas Monsarrat who serviced in The North Atlantic during WW II

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Obviously not seen it yet as its not due for release until June this year.......

I have serial misgivings about anything that comes out of Holywood and their track record for accuracy in WWII films is particularly poor and that's saying something.

But sometimes I just suspend belief for a while and watch a film, occasionally it works and I enjoy something - that's not to say I believe its historical accuracy or believe the propaganda its trying to push.

I watched Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan and I've got to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Some of his other movies have been garbage, some have been ok and a few quite good.

I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema, people tell me its a great experience nowadays, but there's no pause button for when I want to go to the toilet - increasing problem as the years advance - or grab a sarnie or a drink or a smoke etc.
And then there's all the other people there who probably through no fault of their own succeed in nothing but annoying me.

I'll wait till it comes out on DVD or something else.

On the plus side Stephen Graham is in it and he is definitely a bloody good actor.

It might be typical Holywood #e and propaganda, it might not....but I'll give it a chance at some point.

posted on Mar, 7 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Tom Hank's finally gets to be the one to say:
"Look at me...look at me...I'm the Captain now."

new topics

top topics

join