It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army releases brand new photos of upgraded Abrams

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
WOW! THE LOADER FIRES THE M240 AT NIGHT!

If that is the case, what does the gunner do? Feed the loader's M240 with rounds?

On any armoured vehicle, there is a TC (turret or tank) Commander, a Driver, a Gunner and a Loader/Radio operator.

It's the Gunner's job to fire the tank's main and secondry armament. It costs thousands of tax pounds or tax dollars to train a gunner to shoot, so why give the loader the job.

The Commander's job is to command the tank and crew, get his vehicle from 'A' to 'B', indicate likely targets for the gunner, indicate his preferred route to the driver. He is also trained to fire both the main and secondry armament on or in a tank, if need be.

The Driver's job is exactly that! To drive and wherever possible maintain the tank, tighten the track locking nuts from time to time, to do the other hundreds of things a Royal Armoured Corps Class I Driver/Mechanic has to do, cook meals and cam the vehicle up when they halt for more than 10 minutes.

The Loader does just that! He preps the weapons for firing, helps the gunner boresight the main armament using the Muzzle Reference System and maintains a listening watch on the radio.

As the secondry armament on the Abrams is coaxially mounted - i.e alongside the main armament - it should fall to the gunner to fire it. After all, the firing mechanism is on the main firing controls.

Now, if this super-duper nitesight is used by the loader as an extra spotting device - then great!

Otherwise, in FIBUA or OBUA operations, you'd have the gunner sat in his seat doing jack all!

I have noted however, that some Abrams in the Gulf have an additional HMG/MMG mounted above the gunner's cupola.

What about letting the loader fire this?

Works for me!

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Personally as an individual who has family members in the military, and as someone who has read a great deal on military technology issues, I'm all for anything that gives our folks a possible edge or increased chance for survival. I'm guessing that the purpose of the reactive armor is to help defeat RPG's or other LAW's. In regard to the remote firing station, I guess only time/experience will tell whether this is indeed an improvement over the previous arrangement. Most of the items seem feasible and appear to be designed to enhance battlefield functionality/practicality.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
WOW! THE LOADER FIRES THE M240 AT NIGHT!

If that is the case, what does the gunner do? Feed the loader's M240 with rounds?

Gunner has his own 240

On any armoured vehicle, there is a TC (turret or tank) Commander, a Driver, a Gunner and a Loader/Radio operator.

It's the Gunner's job to fire the tank's main and secondry armament. It costs thousands of tax pounds or tax dollars to train a gunner to shoot, so why give the loader the job.

all Armor crew men get the same training in the us army and it all subjects on the tank.

The Commander's job is to command the tank and crew, get his vehicle from 'A' to 'B', indicate likely targets for the gunner, indicate his preferred route to the driver. He is also trained to fire both the main and secondry armament on or in a tank, if need be.

The Driver's job is exactly that! To drive and wherever possible maintain the tank, tighten the track locking nuts from time to time, to do the other hundreds of things a Royal Armoured Corps Class I Driver/Mechanic has to do, cook meals and cam the vehicle up when they halt for more than 10 minutes.

all crew maintains the tank in the us army.

The Loader does just that! He preps the weapons for firing, helps the gunner boresight the main armament using the Muzzle Reference System and maintains a listening watch on the radio.

As the secondry armament on the Abrams is coaxially mounted - i.e alongside the main armament - it should fall to the gunner to fire it. After all, the firing mechanism is on the main firing controls.

Now, if this super-duper nitesight is used by the loader as an extra spotting device - then great!

Otherwise, in FIBUA or OBUA operations, you'd have the gunner sat in his seat doing jack all!

I have noted however, that some Abrams in the Gulf have an additional HMG/MMG mounted above the gunner's cupola.

thats the commanders weapon and its a m2 50 cal

What about letting the loader fire this?

Works for me!

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Actually Justbob, I was illustrating what we Brits do in the Royal Armoured Corps. It is better to be a Master of One, than a Jack of All Trades!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28
But I've heard that certain sniper rifles can penetrate tanks?

Nopeā€¦

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join