It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD officers on video beating and kicking unarmed black man while he screams for help and cries

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oathkeeper73

originally posted by: trollz
This is probably one of the most blatant examples of police brutality I've ever seen. A plainclothes officer stopped a black man and held him against a wall. The man, with his hands in the air, kept trying to ask the officer what crime he committed, but the officer wouldn't answer his questions. The officer calls for backup. Several other officers then show up and immediately swarm on the man, kicking and beating him while he screams for help and cries.
The 2 Twitter videos are at the link; I can't find them on YouTube yet so you'll have to watch them there.

Shocking footage of a swarm of NYPD cops savagely beating an unarmed black man while arresting him for the 'crime' of asking why a plainclothes officer was detaining him

The eyewitness video, viewed close to three million times since it was posted to Twitter late on Wednesday night, opens on a black man being held against a wall by an undercover cop. With his hands up and holding only a cellphone, he calmly asks what crime he's accused of committing (and if he's even being arrested), but his assailant refuses to answer his questions and calls for backup. Within seconds, close to a dozen uniformed cops converge on the quiet street, wrestle the man to the ground, and rain down kicks on him while he screams. They then manhandle him into cuffs.

Source

He tired to walk away several times and wasnt following police orders. Then he resisted arrest. Nothing to see here. Move along

Holy smokes... you guys are unhinged. Right out of the "Show me your papers" era, unhinged.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Exactly. If he was stopped because for instance he matched a description of someone they were looking for the officer could have stated that and it could have went a lot smoother.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine
The video doesn't show anything before the plain clothes officer was already there. The filmer was correct to ask "am I being detained." If he says yes, don't resist. Lawyer up. At least him telling you why would help you in court if you truly didn't do anything wrong.

Police should be trained better in cuffing someone when it's 6 on 1 though. That doesn't help most situations and they know most citizens will screw something up. The guy had his hands up regardless of strafing back and forth.

Maybe they got a police report about him. Maybe it was wrong. Lawyer up. Don't resist.

Just the way it is, unfortunately. There are plenty of videos where people handle these situations better and don't get violently thrown to the ground.

Sadly, in a world denied any sentiment of true justice, this is exactly the way to go...

Akin to being told "Shhhh.. Shhhhh just let it happen... " before being molested, and then having to take it down a legal avenue.

This... is not a world I want to exist in. Miscreant pedestrians are met with barbaric policy enforcers, and innocent victims are left wondering wtf just happened.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: blueman12

He wasn't resisting either. Sorry for the initial comment that's not what i meant. Yes resisting physical arrest is a bad idea. He was resisting the idea of arrest.

Not sure you understand what “resisting” means.

Breathing. Writhing in agony. all the signs of resisting in this world.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
When did this happen, what are NY Media reporting, what is the NYPD's statement on this, was the man charged and if so, for what?

We need all of this info and more.

Do plainclothes police in NYC have mandatory body cams?

Anybody have any of these answers?

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Most people aren't wandering the streets with their cameras already recording. By time something has started and you get the phone and hit record on the camera app, it's typically after something has begun.

Bad pedestrians, not at the ready enough to satiate the fine folk of Phileas Fogg land..

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gnarley

The video doesn't show anything before the plain clothes officer was already there. The filmer was correct to ask "am I being detained." If he says yes, don't resist. Lawyer up. At least him telling you why would help you in court if you truly didn't do anything wrong.

Police should be trained better in cuffing someone when it's 6 on 1 though. That doesn't help most situations and they know most citizens will screw something up. The guy had his hands up regardless of strafing back and forth.

Maybe they got a police report about him. Maybe it was wrong. Lawyer up. Don't resist.

Just the way it is, unfortunately. There are plenty of videos where people handle these situations better and don't get violently thrown to the ground.

Sadly, in a world denied any sentiment of true justice, this is exactly the way to go...

Akin to being told "Shhhh.. Shhhhh just let it happen... " before being molested, and then having to take it down a legal avenue.

This... is not a world I want to exist in. Miscreant pedestrians are met with barbaric policy enforcers, and innocent victims are left wondering wtf just happened.

Well if any actual criminal could choose any point of their altercation with police, they could all point to a 2 min section of them saying "I didn't do anything! I didn't do anything" and we'd just solve all crime that way?

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I'm going to start by saying the cops were definitely over-aggressive in that arrest, but I'm also going to say the guy more or less made some pretty bad decisions himself. First and foremost, he needed to have calmed down and been more quiet. I understand he was nervous, but I'm certain being nervous didn't do him any favors. He also wouldn't stop moving his hands around. At some point it even looked like he pushed the officers hand away and early in the video, even though it's more for pleaing, he moved both hands close to the officer. Sure, from our angle you can definitely tell it's not in an aggressive manner, but from the officers perspective you never know if at any point those hands will do something bad.

Once all of the officers arrived the guy went into panic mode an started flailing about. I sure as hell don't blame him, but that seems to really be what caused them to go into full aggressive mode. Once they started cuffing him he falls to the ground screaming even before they went full force.

Like I said, I do believe the cops were being very over-aggressive. I'm not sure what sort of night they've been having, but the guy was most definitely nervous and if they could have gotten him to calm down things would've been a lot smoother. The guy, though, it was his nerves that did him in. His best bet, even though some people just flat out refuse to do this, would've been to just keep quiet and remain calm. Argue against it all you want, but when it comes to protecting your personal well-being sometimes that's the best route to go. If the guy remained calm and the police still went ape-#, then it would be easy to put all the blame on them, but that's not what happened.

I understand how hard it would be to remain calm, he's black in the city and it's a large swarm of police running at him. I'm brown and grew up in a small, racist town in Colorado and I've had my fair share of run-ins with police and I do not trust them at all. Hell, not too long ago my co-worker accidentally dropped her drawer and the bait money came out of it's clip, setting off the silent alarm. My wife was outside waiting to pick me up when she was surrounded by police responding. One of us had to go outside and let them know everything is ok and I did tell my co-worker "I'm brown, you're white, you go out there and tell them."

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Most people aren't wandering the streets with their cameras already recording. By time something has started and you get the phone and hit record on the camera app, it's typically after something has begun.

Bad pedestrians, not at the ready enough to satiate the fine folk of Phileas Fogg land..

Nice hyperbole, good thing the NYPD has body cams.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Well if any actual criminal could choose any point of their altercation with police, they could all point to a 2 min section of them saying "I didn't do anything! I didn't do anything" and we'd just solve all crime that way?

None of what you just responded with makes any sense in the context of what I said. None.

But this casual acceptance of overt barbarism is something I find completely abhorrent.

FYI, the woman who recorded this posted this on her twitter.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Nice hyperbole, good thing the NYPD has body cams.

Even plain clothed ones?

And how is that hyperbole, when it's actually how things work? Or do you meander around your lonesome town with recording device at the ready, for just such an occasion?

We could just then state that you were itching for a confrontation, why else would you have the camera at the ready.......

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   

None of what you just responded with makes any sense in the context of what I said. None.

But this casual acceptance of overt barbarism is something I find completely abhorrent.

So, he did break the law. Then fled and resisted arrest. How is that barbarism by the police?

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Gnarley

Good thing you posted what the stop was about above. Kind of answered your own questions.

If you want to address New York not allowing cannabis that's another thread, in the mean time looks like he was detained for violating existing law.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Dirty wrong'yin Police scum.

Indicative of the type that choose the profession really in this day of age.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

So breaking the law results in the beating and kicking of an unarmed man whilst on the floor screaming for help???!!!

What's the point in even having laws if Police are going to be dealing out justice in such a manner?

That's barbarism period perfectly illustrated for all to see imho.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   

When I was younger, my friends and I were under the stage at the local park smoking some pot when out of nowhere this big, bright light was shone in our faces and we heard "What's going on down here?". At that moment, we all knew we were bjorked, because it was a cop and we were busted. This was waaaaayyyyy before Colorado legalized it.

Well, rather than run, we all just said "#" and sat there while he came over to us. He talked to us, got our names, took our weed, and pretty much told us "I'm going to go ahead and pretend I didn't see any of this, but don't do it again, guys, or next time I'll have to take you all in."

We all told him "Yes sir", "Thank you", and went about our ways. I was 19 at the time, so being an adult, that could've really screwed me and got me time locked up, yet he let us go. I'm pretty certain much of that was because we didn't run and make his night worse, we were all polite and respectable and kept everything chill.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Gnarley

And how is that hyperbole, when it's actually how things work? Or do you meander around your lonesome town with recording device at the ready, for just such an occasion?

It’s hyperbole when you take a statement of fact, that this video doesn’t show the entirety of the encounter, and attempt to spin that statement of fact into somehow being an attempt to blame random passers-by for not having their phones recording all the time.

As many of your comments are heavily laced with hyperbolic commentary, I’m sure you already knew that though.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's not really a good way to judge things, if I was being detained for nothing I'd want to leave too.

Really ? I have a healthy respect/fear of police and I dont like being around them (due to me smoking Marijuana frequently). For that very reason...I wait until they let me go. I dont make a fuss, I dont try to leave on my own.

Because I'm calm, and non resisting, I have never had any real issues with cops. In fact, they have always been respectful and non violent. You get what you give. My golden rule.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

A reasonable officer would have said why he was stopped. That never occurred in the video.

YOU MEAN YOU NEVER SAW IT IN THE VIDEO....BECAUSE VIDEO IS SUBJECTIVE DEPENDING ON WHEN YOU START FILMING AND HOW IT IS EDITED

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: sine.nomine

So breaking the law results in the beating and kicking of an unarmed man whilst on the floor screaming for help???!!!

What's the point in even having laws if Police are going to be dealing out justice in such a manner?

That's barbarism period perfectly illustrated for all to see imho.

Watch it again. There was no beating or kicking. Literally cops trying to detain a resisting criminal. It looks bad on shaky home video at night. But if fled from arrest for what probably amounts to a fine, there's reason to believe he might have worse things on him too.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join