It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Spain: Muslims Issue Fatwa Against Bin Laden

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Muslim clerics in Spain have issued a fatwa against Osama bin Laden. The fatwa, or edict, is the first against the al-Qaeda leader. The fatwa names Bin laden as a apostate and urges Muslims everywhere to denounce him. It was issued by the Islamic Commission of Spain, which represents some 1 million Muslims in the country. Seventy percent of the mosques are of the Sunni branch.

story.news.yahoo.com
MADRID, Spain - Muslim clerics in Spain issued what they called the world's first fatwa, or Islamic edict, against Osama bin Laden on Thursday, the first anniversary of the Madrid train bombings, calling him an apostate and urging others of their faith to denounce the al-Qaida leader.

The ruling was issued by the Islamic Commission of Spain, the main body representing the country's 1 million-member Muslim community. The commission represents 200 or so mostly Sunni mosques, or about 70 percent of all mosques in Spain.

The March 11, 2004, train bombings killed 191 people and were claimed in videotapes by militants who said they had acted on al-Qaida's behalf in revenge for Spain's troop deployment in Iraq.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is one of many signs highlighting the growing chasm between moderate and radical Islam. No doubt the timing is set to coincide with the Madrid train bombings, and I applaud the clerics for taking this step. There is simply no way to reign in the radicals unless the moderates join forces. It is apparent that even the moderates have no future in the radical worlds some of these groups are proposing and while they took there time in doing so, I think we will see more of this.

[edit on 3/10/05 by FredT]

[edit on 3/10/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This might be the turning point against radical Islam. Western countries killing Radical Islamists isn't going to put a lid on them but moderate muslims can IMO.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
This might be the turning point against radical Islam. Western countries killing Radical Islamists isn't going to put a lid on them but moderate muslims can IMO.

Its premature but I think this may be as well. Whats going to need to happen is that others need to follow in Europe, in the US and hopefully the ME as well. Everything must begin somewhere though.

IMHO is was a mistake for the Insurgents in Iraq to target the people It revealed thier true colors on the matter and people are seeing them for who they are.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
radical islamism is fueled by hatred of the west, and their perceived strong-arm policies against the middle east. If other muslims begin turning on the radicals, their crusade is no longer valid or defendable.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Nice!
I applaud them for doing this! Now all we need is some Shiites doing the same thing.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Excluding those that have replied to this topic, I am somewhat surprised no more have. Must be all those "domestic" topics that has everyone captivated.

Nonetheless, this fatwa being issued is serious business when applied to Islamic Law. What a message this is sending to Osama! It has taken nearly 10 years of waiting to see this happen, and happen against the one I hoped it would be directed or issued against.

I remembered doing some early writing on Terrorism for the then fledgling ATSNN and found this:

In 1996, Osama Bin Laden issues his Declaration of Jihad, and in 1998, issues his fatwa against the United States (Saudi Arabia and Israel). Many Muslim scholars and juris-consults (scholars of law), called Mufti, have openly stated that Osama Bin Laden was not given license to claim a fatwa, moreover, he is not considered a Mufti, nor the head of any sovereign Muslim nation or state, and had no authority to claim or issue either a Jihad or fatwa. They have further stated that his so-called fatwa is worth no more than the paper it may (implying doubt) have been written on and amounts to no more than the personal opinion of an ordinary rich and biased person. These same Muslim scholars further mention that if what he decrees against the US is truth, these claims would amount to only crimes against humanity and not a Jihad sanctioned by the Shari'ah/Fiqh.

TA-ANALYSIS: Terrorism: Islamic Perspective (Part 4 of 4)

An article on Osama's fatwa and how the Muslims themselves view it:
Bin Laden's Fatwa: A Call to Harabah

Now what is needed is the American Muslim populace to do likewise.
I do wonder how many other groups will follow suit.

Whats further interesting on this fatwa being issued is that it may be indicating a growing divide in Islam and the Middle East itself.

seekerof

[edit on 10-3-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is great and all but...

What the hell took so long? Bin ladin and his declare war on the US, bomb embassies, suport other terrorists, bombed the cole, destroyed the twin towers, attacked the pentagon, and lead an international jihad. What the hell took so long to say that 'thats wrong, and it shouldn't be done'? And is it only because of the madrid bombimg? So it hits a little closer to home and then they realize it?

Well, at least its something.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Bin Ladens Time really seems to be growing short. With the bounty on his head doubled and democracy starting to steamroll its way through the middle east this fatwa may be the next nail in his coffin. We are getting closer and closer to him despite all the we dont know where he is talk. It now really seems to be a matter of time....

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Outstanding! I was wondering when a major Muslim voice would come out against Al-Qaeda. I can only hope many others in will fall in line and do the same. I doubt it will come from the Middle East, but I know that much of Europe has a healthy Muslim population.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I am happy to see this, it is a great day indeed for the Spainish Muslims.

Maybe there is hope yet? I would like to see many more of these follow, if the radicals realize they do not have the support, then maybe the Muslims can then attend to more basic needs and such, they sit on Black gold.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Excluding those that have replied to this topic, I am somewhat surprised no more have. Must be all those "domestic" topics that has everyone captivated.

I am surprised as well. It is a big deal. These are not issued everyday and they arry alot of weight. Its similar to the burning Bush handing out commandments to Moses. Maybe not as grandiose, but the followers (1 million+) will treat it as the gospel.

Of more importance IMHO is the fact that the majority 70% are of the Sunni sect and not Shiite. Remember that Bin laden is a Sunni (Wahhabi branch) so this also speaks volumes.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
To be honest this news is important because it shows a shift in moderate muslim attitudes and not because it deals with Osama Bin Laden.

This fatwa is useless practically as the Ayatollah Khomeini issued his fatwa against Salman Rushdie in February, 1989 and he's still alive and writing
Thanks in part to British protection.

Also those that think capturing Bin Laden will result in any decrease in terrorism need to switch off Fox News and read some of the 9/11 threads on this board. Bin Laden is a US puppet trotted out when ever some prickly laws want to be passed that errode your freedoms.

Even under the guise of an Islamic "Jihad" Al Qaeda will still carry out attacks. It could even ramp up attacks upon Bin Ladens capture/death in revenge.

[edit on 11/3/05 by subz]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The fatwa is far from useless. I don't think it actually prescribed a cource of action like the Rusdie case at any rate. But the moral / pshych issues are huge

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Well its about dammned time.
Allthough must say it bothers me that the death of 3000 americans on 9/11 wasn't enough to call fatwah against OBl by American Muslims but less than 200 deaths in spain was enough to motivate spanish muslims to do so.
Now if we can get other muslim groups worldwde to issue fatwah against OBL, zarqauwi zawahiri etc. It would be a great Moral boost for the US's war against terror.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
This is a bit belated, yet still excellent news. I think Muslim leaders are starting to realize that the entire religion will be badly damaged unless they take a more pro-active role in denouncing the fanatic extremists such as bin Laden.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   
To bad his already dead

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
"""This is a bit belated, yet still excellent news. I think Muslim leaders are starting to realize that the entire religion will be badly damaged unless they take a more pro-active role in denouncing the fanatic extremists such as bin Laden."""

The entire religion is the problem. It's not people that make Islam look bad, its Islam that makes people look bad.

Muslim clerics in Spain can go back to the desert's of morroco. I blame Islam on the spainish train bombing the entire religion. ISLAM get out of spain!!

Sep

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Now if we can get other muslim groups worldwde to issue fatwah against OBL, zarqauwi zawahiri etc. It would be a great Moral boost for the US's war against terror.

I think the more important thing is that it is a moral boost for more moderate Muslims. This shouldnt be used politically by Western powers because it would alienate the moderates.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This is great news but I cannot help but wonder why hasn't the American
Islamic society done the same before now? Why hasn't any Islamic Society that claims Islam is being hijacked by radicals like Bin Laden issued a Fatwa before
I mean a Fatwa was issued for the writer of "Satanic Verses', A Fatwa was issued when an predominately African/Muslem nation tried to hold a Miss Universe pagent. I could give many more examples but do not have the time to write them all. How many thousands of innocent men, women and children have died because of Bin laden either directly or indirectly? The worlds Muslems have done nothing. Their silence has been deafening. There is no excuse for Islams lack of outrage. Spains Muslems have finally taken a stand. Now I challenge all American Muslems and the rest of the worlds Muslems to get off your arse's and do what you should have done years ago. You have the balls to say that America has blood on its hands
It is time that you open your eyes and take a good look in the mirror
I mean you have made it very f****** apparent that American lives don't count(Twin Towers,Marine barracks in Beirut, Lockerbe, USS Cole, American Embassies in Africa, Achille Laurel, oh and do not forget the American Sailor that was beaten to death then tossed on the Tar mack during a Highjacking, etc.etc) Maybe now that other nations are starting to pile up their dead something will finally be done

[edit on 11-3-2005 by Yorga]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Outstanding FredT kuddos

Things like this will erase the 'we're O.K. even if we are krazy' perception international islamism has had for decades. These Spaniards are true decendants of the ancient discoverers. This is new territory and it will take some time.

These are Sunnis, hopefully the Shiite's will step up as well. Osama is a a burden upon mankind. When (not if) Iran or some other wellspring of Shiite faith condemns him Islamic terrorism will shrink.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

You da man FredT

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join