It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to prepare for quarantine ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Graysen

originally posted by: BoxerBrawler
a reply to: Graysen

Well hold on a second, we weren't specific here. Am I home alone or is someone living with me who can answer the door? I'm pretty sure all food delivery can be prepaid, in 2020, and can be left at the door or at least handed to me in some kind of packaging and for real? where do you live? delivery guys wear gloves, at least around here if they're handling food and money at the same time. And who said I'm giving him a tip? I'm a cheap #!

I live off the paved road. We have no deliveries except USPS, ups/Amazon, and propane

Yep you're probably better off! I'm out on a back road but only minutes from all the chain stores and conveniences.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I also live in the country.

We do get amazon and a number of other deliveries but I really doubt that the pizza guy will deliver

Also, if there is a general quarantine in an area how do you know that the pizza guy isn't infected?

a reply to: Graysen

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Graysen
Bottles of cooking oil go rancid quickly if you are opening the lid several times a day.

Very few oils go rancid quickly if they're stored properly no matter how often they're opened. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature and is very stable. I've kept butter on my counter for months at a time and it remained unspoiled, caveat being no extreme heat. If you're in a 14 day quarantine or even many times that you shouldn't be throwing away rancid oils. Coconut oil is solid at room temp and very stable.

If the power goes out, your only way to preserve food will be smoke, salt, sugar or vinnegar.

If you use gas for cooking or have a propane grill you can still do pressure canning. Sugar preservation is an interesting topic and I don't know how much it's used anymore. That would be a cool thread if you have experience with it.

I'd also throw in there solar dehydration in hot climates, freezing in cold ones, and using springs or mountain fed streams for passive cooling short term.

Wild rabbit must be eaten sparingly, lest you get "rabbit starvation." Wild rabbit is extremely low in fat, and actually uses up more fat that it gives you to digest. after 2 days of no protein but wild rabbit, you'll get the shakes and controlled but urgent diarrhea that will use up the rest of the fat in your GI tract. So use wild rabbit to supplement domestic meat. I prefer "chicken-rabbit stew"

This is either written in a slightly confusing way or there are a few misconceptions in your source. It's a real thing but it's caused by eating rabbit, or even many kinds of fish, exclusively and without any other source of nutrition. You can eat wild rabbit 3 meals a day for the rest of your life (please don't) and suffer no ill effects so long as your total food intake had other sources for fat, carbs, and nutrients. Lean meat with limited fats and carbohydrates for weight loss is essentially a very controlled and mild form of rabbit starvation. I don't know about a two day timeline for ill effects and it sounds reasonable that you might start noticing the early stages, but if it's all you eat the ultimate result is most certainly organ failure and it's won't take long.

Here's to not being quarantined.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildbob77

If they mass quarantine an area, I would not count on delivery. In that case, you need supplies for one to two disease cycles or 14 to 28 days, ballpark.

I would guess it won't come to that, but delivery is a point of contact and potential spread for something that can last on surfaces.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   
You're essentially saying HOARDERS will be the survivors? Eating our dead carcases for nutrients once this blows over?

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   
i have 3 hens so eggs, and i bought 50 lbs of cracked corn for 11 dollars for chicken feed, then simmered half a cup in 3 cups of water for a few hours, add butter salt pepper, its an edible corn soup. So why go out... eggs and corn soup .

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
What quarantine ?

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I live near one of the bases where people were quarantined.

Now, there are reported cases both North and South of me. Personally, I think that is in the wild in this area.

If the number of cases start to climb like they did in Wuhan, I think I'm 2-3 weeks away from a general quarantine in the area.

If the cases do not build like they did in Wuhan they I don't think it will be an issue.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Keep calm and carry on. It'll all be OK and civilisation won't end, even if some people seem to be going into a panic and "stocking up".

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

We just packed in gradual amounts of stuff we would use anyway, so we have what we think we'd need if we need to be in. Mostly, it's just twice of what we normally have on hand with a few odds and ends, nothing drastic.

I'm more worried about needing something and finding a hole on the shelf because someone isn't producing at some point, but having a little extra bolsters against that too.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
So far only focused to buy medicines ( all natural ) to prevent getting very sick....thats my priority #1

with limited funds, i prefer to first prevent getting to any serious condition .

Also buyed medicines to mother and brother, so few people ...and i dont regret...prevention is the #1 to me...i know from previous years after getting flu, that i have spend quite a lot money after getting in to bad condition becouse of flu , so i rather pay in advance and prevent ...

Sure if had a lot money i would buy food etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join