It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicist Says Parallel Universes Definitely Exist and We May Soon Explore Them

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
There is more to the article than just the title as the quantum world's mysteries are explained by Theoretical physicist Sean Carroll. He explains the quantum world in a way that is both interesting and easily understood... The parallel universe theory comes into effect by measurements of basic particles and makes sense to me.. hahaha

(TMU) — Theoretical physicist Sean Carroll expressed that clues in the small-scale structure of the universe point to the existence of numerous parallel worlds.

The shocking comments were made on the Jeff Rogan Experience (JRE) podcast last year. Carroll says that the fact that tiny particles like electrons and photons don’t have one set location in the universe is evidence that there are many parallel universes.

Recently, in a follow up interview with News.com.au, Carroll expanded his thoughts. “But there’s a lot more going on,” Carroll told News.com.au. “Not every world you imagine actually comes true.”

The common sense rules of physics that rule our lives everyday make sense to us but at very minuscule scales common sense breaks down altogether. At the quantum level, the empty vacuum of space is filled with tiny particles constantly popping in and out of existence.

Bell’s theorem, a fundamental construct in quantum mechanics, may prove that multiverses exist. This theorem deals with situations where particles interact with each other, become entangled, and then go their separate ways, according to New Scientist.

“There are still equations, physical rules, patterns that must be obeyed. Some possible alternate worlds can come true. But not all of them,” Carroll said.

“As far as we currently know,” he writes. “Quantum mechanics isn’t just an approximation to the truth; it is the truth.”

johnbwellsnews.com...
youtu.be...

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I love that Jeff Rogan, cool guy.

Looks like it is still a theory.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Great topic but pointless....

Viewing quantum from a conscious mind is impossible.

That's why people come up with multiple dimensions, the observed does not match the measured, etc etc

Like trying to explain the colour green to a blind person... never going to happen.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Bahahah
JEFF ROGAN!

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Bahahah
JEFF ROGAN!

Just don't ask JEFF ROGAN if he's in a simulation.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Interesting. So what this means is, if I go out far enough laterally (like layers of an onion) then I could actually be broke and piss poor? Unlike my current position as being Uber wealthy with no worries in the world...wait wrong universe let me retry this.

XL5

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I wonder if Joe knows that Mandela is after him.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Interesting.

Bell’s theorem, a fundamental construct in quantum mechanics, may prove that multiverses exist. This theorem deals with situations where particles interact with each other, become entangled, and then go their separate ways, according to New Scientist.

Almost sounds like a sexual encounter. I wonder if this interaction and entanglement creates baby universes?

Hello humans can you feel me thinking? I assume you're seeing everything I'm thinking. Hello humans nothing starts tomorrow, I'm the baby now.

Lyrics from "Baby Universal" by David Bowie from the "Tin Machine" album.
edit on 5-3-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

edit on 5-3-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Carroll never says parallel universes definitely exist. Just that he thinks it's the easiest theory to explain some of what happens in quantum mechanics. And he also says if they do exist, we could never visit them.

I'd really like to know what some of my favorite actors, Joe Goldblum, Joe Daniels and Joe Bridges think. And a couple of my favorite all-time athletes, Jeff Namath and Jeff DiMaggio.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Clammy721

Carroll never says parallel universes definitely exist.
Right. So I'm not sure why people would say that.

Sean Carroll is a good physicist, but he like many other physicists refers to the "Many worlds" interpretation as originating from Hugh Everett. Everett's theory was for a universal wave function and relative states. His idea was for a single quantum world, not "many worlds". It was apparently DeWitt who applied that "Many Worlds" terminology to Everett's theory.

But, Hugh Everett did not think of his theory as a "many worlds" theory, as Carroll implies. A 1976 philosophy paper by Levy-Leblond said:

arxiv.org...
"To me, the deep meaning of Everett's ideas is not the coexistence of many worlds, but on the contrary, the existence of a single quantum one."

Everett agreed.

"In a letter to Levy-Leblond (Barrett 2011), Everett indicated that he quite agreed with Levy-Leblond’s argument and emphasized that the many worlds terminology was not his."

I listened to the video and I didn't hear Carroll say "Parallel Universes Definitely Exist", I think "Physicist Says Parallel Universes Definitely Exist" is a lie, and a misrepresentation of Carroll's views. He does favor a "Many worlds" interpretation, but he says near the end of the video there are respectable competing interpretations, and he says in another video (below) that nobody has proven which interpretation is correct and he can't be sure that "Many worlds" is the correct interpretation:

Quantum Mechanics (an embarrassment) - Sixty Symbols

So this thread has a very misleading title, probably from using a bad source which didn't understand what Carroll actually says and thinks. I'm also not sure if Carroll realizes that Everett's idea wasn't "Many (classical) worlds", but rather a single quantum world.

edit on 202035 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Never undersood this parallel universes thing. If you look at the physics there is no need for it.

To me it feels more like an attempt of coping with the perceived strangeness of quantum physics.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I think our Universe would make more sense if it existed as part of a Multiverse , perhaps there is an Antimatter copy of this Universe sat right next door , I'm not convinced we will ever travel to other Universes though.

I'd love to sit down and have a drink with a theoretical physicist.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   

And as soon as I get my hands on some bootleg portal fluid we are good to go...

Peace

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The biggest argument against there being scads of parallel universes created by different probabilistic outcomes of atomic exchanges is that should mean there are countless versions of our universe and even ourselves out there in the depths of spacetime, however, we are only aware of just the one. The one we experience with our own senses. My consciousness doesn't shift around in the various universes as far as I can tell. It just stays in this one.

Now, maybe our imaginations and our dreams allow us to peek into these alternate existences, but they all seem to lack the general solidity of this one.

On another hand, maybe our consciousness is a kind of statistical average of thousands of parallel consciousnesses and we only seem to be locked into the one universe because we focus our attention on it since we don't have the brain power to see all the other universes, or even a large number of them. Kind of like our personalities are generally a mix of multiple personalities all with slightly different attitudes that compete for dominance and recognition like a member of Parliament. Maybe it is true that if you change your attitude you're actually shifting your focus from one set of universes to another, with a whole new set of opportunities.
edit on 5-3-2020 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: QuietSpeech

So is Evolution.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   

It's Joe Rogan

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

It's Joe Rogan

Not in the timeline I'm from!

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: QuietSpeech
I love that Jeff Rogan, cool guy.

Looks like it is still a theory.

Wow! A parallel universe sneaks into this thread.
whereas in the other universe Joe is Jeff Rogan. lol

I've always wondered if my name or my body is different in those parallel universes.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftyArrow

Well if there is a universe created for every name your parents could have chosen then....yes, you would have all names.

Peace

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

What about our bodily appearance? I'm thinking a slight shift in our cells / hormones... including our testosterone could make us look different... the further those universes are apart... the less we look the same.... I might be a totally different sex lol... whah!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join